• ...and so much more!
  • ryanmercer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    mossberg500a.jpg

First, please ignore my dirty kitchen floor...

Mossberg 500a 12 gauge

Bought it from the AAC guys... I've been wanting to for a while now but with it all out ont he table and what not for me to fondle... I mean handle... I simply couldn't say no. I didn't want to spend any money but... oh well, I bought it... much better home defense than my Winchester 1200 12 gauge.

My third purchase from AAC in as many months... plus I've taken two friends to them who have both boughten stuff... always great prices, great guys, great stuff. Check them out at Indy 1500 they are near the center of the building, or in Mooresville at the old DQ next to KFC.

Last edited:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Umm... Ryan that is still techincally a shotgun. It just has a pistol grip.

Come up with any single ladies like you wanted?

Donnelly

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Cass County
    From what I understand, Indiana law treats shotguns with a pistol grip and no buttstock as a handgun, and a Indiana license to carry is required to legally carry or transport one. At least this is what Indiana FFL dealers have explained to me. YMMV.

ryanmercer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    From what I understand, Indiana law treats shotguns with a pistol grip and no buttstock as a handgun, and a Indiana license to carry is required to legally carry or transport one. At least this is what Indiana FFL dealers have explained to me. YMMV.

Thats the impression I get to, especially since on the form, they selected handgun, and when they called me in they said handgun.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I was thinking about the definition of "handgun" vs. "shotgun". After re-reading, maybe you guys are right, although I didn't see anything that specifically said "a shotgun with a pistol grip is a handgun". I didn't think a handgun could have a barrel longer than 16". And I thought your shotgun still fell under the category of being fired with 2 hands.

IC 35-47-1-6
    "Handgun"
    Sec. 6. "Handgun" means any firearm:
    (1) designed or adapted so as to be aimed and fired from one (1) hand, regardless of barrel length; or
    (2) any firearm with:
    (A) a barrel less than sixteen (16) inches in length; or
    (B) an overall length of less than twenty-six (26) inches.

IC 35-47-1-11
    "Shotgun"
    Sec. 11. "Shotgun" means a weapon designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder and designed or redesigned and made or remade to use the energy of the explosive in a fixed shotgun shell to fire through a smooth bore either a number of ball shot or a single projectile for each single pull of the trigger.

Anyone know of any clearer codes?

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    If the overall length is less than 26" it is classified as a handgun in this instance.

ETA: I'd love to get one, but since it's classified as a handgun, I have to wait until I'm 21 :(

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    Short answer, yes, it is a word :)

[SIZE=+2]boughten[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]SYLLABICATION:[/SIZE]bought·en [SIZE=-1]PRONUNCIATION:[/SIZE] bôt
    prime.gif
    n [SIZE=-1]VERB:[/SIZE] Chiefly Northern U.S. A past participle of buy. [SIZE=-1]ADJECTIVE:[/SIZE]1. Commercially made; purchased, as opposed to homemade: boughten bread.

cougar_guy04

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    Lookin' for Galt's Gulch
    If the overall length is less than 26" it is classified as a handgun in this instance.

ETA: I'd love to get one, but since it's classified as a handgun, I have to wait until I'm 21 :(
    It shouldn't be classified as a handgun . . . over a 16" barrel and all the Special Purpose 500's and 590's are over 26" long (shortest one is 28" according to Mossberg's website).

ETA: Nice snag Ryan . . . one of those is on my "Get as soon as the move is done" list, I just want a shoulder stock for mine.

Last edited:

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    You are right, I re-read the definition.

IC 35-47-1-6
    "Handgun"
    Sec. 6. "Handgun" means any firearm:
    (1) designed or adapted so as to be aimed and fired from one (1) hand, regardless of barrel length; or
    (2) any firearm with:
    (A) a barrel less than sixteen (16) inches in length; or
    (B) an overall length of less than twenty-six (26) inches.

So I guess it has been deemed to be shot from one hand. It doesn't matter about barrel length then

Top Bottom