• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I called over my lunch break today to check the status of my stolen gun that was recovered back in 2015.

To recap: They sat on it for at least 18 months after it had been recovered. I only learned it had been recovered because I follow up with the detective on the case annually.

As of today it's been a week shy of a full year since I went down and filled out the paperwork to have it released.

I spoke with a very helpful young lady named Lauren today, who told me the paper work just needed final sign off from a superviser. Again, if I had not called, it would likely still be sitting in a file folder somewhere.

Lauren was kind enough to give me her direct number in case I don't get a call soon to come get the gun. She also ran the numbers on the other three stolen guns involved in the case. Sadly they are all still out on the street somewhere.

I can't help but wonder if my Mosin-Nagant has been used in a drive-by.

I got the call this afternoon. My recovered firearm is ready to be picked up.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I got the call this afternoon. My recovered firearm is ready to be picked up.

giphy.gif

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Take edporch with you. We'll see if he runs his suck in person as much as he does on here.

If anything I would say made any difference to these people, I'd go down there.
    But with a department that leadership from the Chief on down cares nothing about this, fat chance.

Ed, you do actually have a connection to my particular case. You were the previous owner of the still missing Mosin-Nagant I mentioned up-thread.

I bought it from you several years back in one of the first deals I ever did through the classifieds here.

openwell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel
    Has anyone tried to contact the prosecutor's office?

or thought about filing in small claims for the guns return?

Small claims is a court of equity which is designed to handle among other things such disputes with a city over stuff such as vehicle wheel damage from "potholes".

If you win you may be entitled to costs. Mind you a filing in a plenary court is much better because you get discovery and can get some answers. Such filings get

sent to mediation rather quickly but

your level of knowledge of court procedure goes up and costs are on each party. If you have the time stop by the law school or law library @ state house.

Look at the books of Indiana Practice for example.

and good luck. by the way I am not an attorney and I don't suggest you take this lightly as any attorney could do it better. just the cost is so high.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    The last update I got was my paperwork was moved forward & awaiting sign off. They acted like I was getting close. This is the only reason I've held back on getting a lawyer involved.

It's a good thing I have other carry guns or I'd be 10x more pissed off than what I am now.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Well? What's the condition of the gun?

I just got back from the property room. I got the gun back, plus one of the magazines, fully loaded with ball ammo.

The gun is not in great shape. There is a whole lot of surface rust on both the slide and barrel. I haven't had a chance to examine it too closely yet, but I didn't see any major pitting. I'm hoping with a little TLC it will at least be functional, even if it's not very pretty.

It wasn't exactly running like a sewing machine before it was stolen, so it had already been removed from the carry rotation. Hopefully it will at least continue to function as a range toy.

The entire process of picking it up took less than 45 minutes, which I thought was OK considering it's a government office. It could have gone much quicker, but I was worried it was going to take several hours.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    I just got back from the property room. I got the gun back, plus one of the magazines, fully loaded with ball ammo.

The gun is not in great shape. There is a whole lot of surface rust on both the slide and barrel. I haven't had a chance to examine it too closely yet, but I didn't see any major pitting. I'm hoping with a little TLC it will at least be functional, even if it's not very pretty.

It wasn't exactly running like a sewing machine before it was stolen, so it had already been removed from the carry rotation. Hopefully it will at least continue to function as a range toy.

The entire process of picking it up took less than 4 years, which I thought was OK considering it's a government office. It could have gone much quicker, but I was worried it was going to take several decades.

FTFY.

Glad you got it back at least. Kinda expected it to not be taken care of, but it’d be nice if they could at least coat it in something to prevent rust. I’d rather do a detailed strip and clean all the gunk out than have a rusted gun when I get it back.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Ed, you do actually have a connection to my particular case. You were the previous owner of the still missing Mosin-Nagant I mentioned up-thread.

I bought it from you several years back in one of the first deals I ever did through the classifieds here.

Wow, really?
    I hope you get them to give it back to you.

But with this latest push by Marion County government to push through a so-called "assault weapon" ban in Marion County it's becoming obvious to me that we're dealing with an anti-gun administration.
    When they get their hands on innocent lawful citizen's guns, they pull every "slow walk" trick they can think of short of breaking the law to not return them.

They figure most people will just say "screw it" and walk away. knowing it'll cost more in time and legal fees to ever get it returned.

And then they'll claim they're "saving us" by keeping these evil guns off the streets.
    They're a disgrace.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Wow, really?
    I hope you get them to give it back to you.

But with this latest push by Marion County government to push through a so-called "assault weapon" ban in Marion County it's becoming obvious to me that we're dealing with an anti-gun administration.
    When they get their hands on innocent lawful citizen's guns, they pull every "slow walk" trick they can think of short of breaking the law to not return them.

They figure most people will just say "screw it" and walk away. knowing it'll cost more in time and legal fees to ever get it returned.

And then they'll claim they're "saving us" by keeping these evil guns off the streets.
    They're a disgrace.

The Mosin hasn't been recovered yet, so the city doesn't have that one.

The insurance company replaced it with a Century Arms AK-47, so I made out ok there. (Because all Russian rifles are the same I guess.)

Top Bottom