• ...and so much more!
  • edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Not all hills are worth dying on. I don’t fault the INGO officers for not raising a stink about the practice. Their opinion doesn’t count to the brass or the mayor.

The word of the department constantly publicizing this issue would make a difference.
    Much more than any of us here.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Then they and all others who disagree need to raise hell over it.
    Silence implies agreement.

I can't get them to supply paper clips to the office. You think they give a flying feces what I think about their firearms policy?

I'm pretty tired of the "silence implies agreement" line. I hope everyone who believes that goes to their boss with every single thing they disagree with every time they see it. Attends every protest for something they disagree with, etc.

Now that I think about it, why aren't you protesting in front of the CCB? Get yourself a sandwich board, stay on the sidewalk, keep moving, and protest. Failing to do so is essentially agreeing with the policy.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Then they and all others who disagree need to raise hell over it.
    Silence implies agreement.

It implies nothing. Raise hell to whom? They are civilian employees that staff the property room. They answer to a Deputy Chief. I cannot just barge into a chief's office and demand changes. There is a chain of command that I have to follow. Complaints like that coming from a patrolman don't make it that high. The squeaky wheel citizens are listened to more readily. If you want change, sue them. It's the most effective way to get change, sadly.

pitbulld45

Follower of I AM
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 27, 2012
    Terre Haute
    I will complain to my Chief Deputy..... not sure what the Chief Deputy of Vigo County can do but hey I don't want be silent.

We had a retiree that was the victim of a break in, his retirement gun was stolen (name, department, badge etched on the slide). Was contacted that it had been recovered, he tried for two years before his gun ( a police officers gun) was returned. Then they would only release it to the department, a Detective had to go get it. When he got it back it was covered in someones blood and rusted really bad.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I called over my lunch break today to check the status of my stolen gun that was recovered back in 2015.

To recap: They sat on it for at least 18 months after it had been recovered. I only learned it had been recovered because I follow up with the detective on the case annually.

As of today it's been a week shy of a full year since I went down and filled out the paperwork to have it released.

I spoke with a very helpful young lady named Lauren today, who told me the paper work just needed final sign off from a superviser. Again, if I had not called, it would likely still be sitting in a file folder someone.

Lauren was kind enough to give me her direct number in case I don't get a call soon to come get the gun. She also ran the numbers on the other three stolen guns involved in the case. Sadly they are all still out on the street somewhere.

I can't help but wonder if my Mosin-Nagant has been used in a drive-by.

We'll need a list of known gang-members using the alias Vasily Zaytsev. That should narrow the search to that one guy who is deaf as a post from firing a 7.62X54R out of a car.

Good luck MC.

Anima mundi

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Southport
    I can't get them to supply paper clips to the office. You think they give a flying feces what I think about their firearms policy?

I'm pretty tired of the "silence implies agreement" line. I hope everyone who believes that goes to their boss with every single thing they disagree with every time they see it. Attends every protest for something they disagree with, etc.

Now that I think about it, why aren't you protesting in front of the CCB? Get yourself a sandwich board, stay on the sidewalk, keep moving, and protest. Failing to do so is essentially agreeing with the policy.

Should the officer who takes your gun from you after a lawful shooting not also be held responsible for taking your gun from you? If not, then who?

Also, that's a pretty weak argument considering law enforcement officers are in a position unique among any other profession in that they interact directly with the public and are responsible for keeping their rights uninfringed. People who don't work in public service do not have that onus upon them. "Sorry, I can't install that AC for you today since the paperwork hasn't been filled out" is a world away from "Sorry, I can't return your car to you today since the paperwork hasn't been filled out" since I can go literally anywhere else to get an AC installed, and I don't have that same option when petitioning the state to return my rightful property to me.

Last edited:

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    It implies nothing. Raise hell to whom? They are civilian employees that staff the property room. They answer to a Deputy Chief. I cannot just barge into a chief's office and demand changes. There is a chain of command that I have to follow. Complaints like that coming from a patrolman don't make it that high. The squeaky wheel citizens are listened to more readily. If you want change, sue them. It's the most effective way to get change, sadly.
    Yep.
    I'll contribute to your legal fund

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Should the officer who takes your gun from you after a lawful shooting not also be held responsible for taking your gun from you? If not, then who?

Also, that's a pretty weak argument considering law enforcement officers are in a position unique among any other profession in that they interact directly with the public and are responsible for keeping their rights uninfringed. People who don't work in public service do not have that onus upon them. "Sorry, I can't install that AC for you today since the paperwork hasn't been filled out" is a world away from "Sorry, I can't return your car to you today since the paperwork hasn't been filled out" since I can go literally anywhere else to get an AC installed, and I don't have that same option when petitioning the state to return my rightful property to me.
    Held liable for what? We hand over the firearm to the property room as evidence in shootings. It is attached to a case and cannot be returned until the detective ok's it.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    So the hang-up is on the detectives end?

In Marion County, no. Even after a detective clears it, the (mostly civilian, from what I understand) property room employees have to process them out, along with all the other stuff that happens in a police property room. In Marion County, I believe the hang-up is at that point.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Maybe an INGO attorney could jump in to help Hop and, or MCGrease08 specifically?

Wouldn't it be cool if we could all follow along as the parties involved kept us updated on the progress right here in this thread. It'd be a real service to INGOers and Indiana gun owners in general.

Maybe exposure can solve an age old problem that gets complained about but nothing ever gets done about it?

:ingo:

minuteman32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    Central IN
    I was involved in an incident several years ago (still IPD), where shots were fired by me. IPD took my gun & kept it for about 6 wks, if I remember correctly. Keep on them!

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Maybe an INGO attorney could jump in to help Hop and, or MCGrease08 specifically?

Go hire an attorney and get your firearm(s) back.

No offense to the cops, but I could care less what their procedures are or who has to sign off on what. After I get a case dismissed/resolved I file a motion for return of property, get an order signed by a judge and get my client's property back. No red light, green light nonsense, here's the order, give it back.

If you have this problem it is within your best interest to consult with an attorney.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Go hire an attorney and get your firearm(s) back.

No offense to the cops, but I could care less what their procedures are or who has to sign off on what. After I get a case dismissed/resolved I file a motion for return of property, get an order signed by a judge and get my client's property back. No red light, green light nonsense, here's the order, give it back.

If you have this problem it is within your best interest to consult with an attorney.

Got an approximate price tag for what this could cost?

Would it be worth the cost to retrieve a single $500 handgun?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Got an approximate price tag for what this could cost?

Would it be worth the cost to retrieve a single $500 handgun?

Depends. If I get in on a misdemeanor down there I do it as part of the flat fee (I usually flat fee misdemeanors and L6s).

Did a Sheriff's Deputy from White County down there in 49G08 or 9. Got it bounced and then filed a Motion for Replevin after the nolle. Didn't charge him anything.

If it's not part of a CM or F6 or whatever, then do it per hour.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Thanks for the reply Kirk. I've been doing a little research using various web resources like Avvo. It's too bad that additional parties need to get involved to enforce .gov to comply with an enumerated Constitutional right but sounds like that happens all the time.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Top Bottom