Indianapolis Airport: Declaring a Firearm?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    I understand that I am "good to go", I used to carry every day in the terminal and GT buildings and all over the airport for couple of years on a job. I want to know how they can post the building "NO WEAPONS" if it is legal to CCW on airport property with an Indiana LTCH AND/OR to declare and check a firearm inside the terminal. I am NOT talking about the sterile section for the TSA "Fantasyland" areas.

Last edited:

AceDerringer

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 8, 2013
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I travel all the time and checking the guns is NEVER an issue, its actually very simple and straight forward... I usually travel with my carry gun and/or my competition cowboy guns... I have a lockable hard sided case that I got at Dunhams...works great!!

grogie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    Wheeling Around Indy
    My experience was very good with folks at Indy airport when i travelled with a long gun. Took about 2 minutes longer to check in. I got a lot of strange looks riding the bus from the parking lot though.

LOL... That is the case with traveling with a long gun. It's obvious what it is! I had a guy ask me last time if I had been hunting, which I replied, yes, prairie dogs! (In Wyoming.) He acted shocked. Varmints!

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I understand that I am "good to go", I used to carry every day in the terminal and GT buildings and all over the airport for couple of years on a job. I want to know how they can post the building "NO WEAPONS" if it is legal to CCW on airport property with an Indiana LTCH AND/OR to declare and check a firearm inside the terminal. I am NOT talking about the sterile section for the TSA "Fantasyland" areas.
    You can put up any sign you want anywhere you want. Doesn't mean it holds the weight of law. They can ask you to leave in the unsecured areas if you're carrying, but it's not illegal to do so. Only in the secured areas.

Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    When I travel from Indy it's exactly like you said but in addition...

they stamp your boarding pass or give you a card to give to the TSA screeners that identifies you as a firearm person. Once you pass security they ask you for the key and you wait until they go check your luggage and bring you back the key. It's been about a year, since I've flown, I hope the process had changed but that Has happened to me at least twice. It takes them about 10 minutes.

BoxingRef

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2014
    Cincy
    Just to repeat for ya'll.

Carry multiple copies of the paper work for the (DHS - Airlines) in different locations.

It paid off once in Orlando a few years back with a over dealous co-worker who was standing behind the girl checking me in.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Far as I am concerned it is worth it to check your pistol. If nothing else you avoid having to use those annoying self check in stations.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Technically you are not permitted to give them the key to the gun case. Under Federal law you must open it and be present while they "inspect" it and then you relock it. The key must be in your possession at all times.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Technically you are not allowed access to the baggage inspection area, so your asked for a key or combo so someone may inspect your bag for whatever reason while you wait.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Technically they are not allowed to take your gun case to a place where you cannot go. Why would they need to? Your luggage - yes. A declared firearm - no. I am not saying that they won't try. Unless the law has changed recently they cannot legally take your gun case out of your sight or demand your key. There is absolutely no reason for them to do so. But they will try to simply because they think they can "make up" any rules they want and you MUST submit to their AUTHOR-I-TAY. It also makes it much easier for them to steal your stuff. Wanna a good laugh? - ask any TSA agent or Supervisor for a hard copy of their rulebook and see what happens. They don't have one. Most of them have never even seen one. When I first started flying with guns before 9-11 the ticket agent inspected the gun to ensure it was unloaded (even though most of them had no idea how to tell) Now the airline folks just leave it to the TSA clowns to do their job for them. Do not trust the TSA - they hire people every day that you probably would not hire if you did a background check. And then they give them a "badge".

Last edited:

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Indianapolis is the only airport that I have checked a gun with that demanded the combination to the locked case. That is why I don't carry a pistol that can not be easily replaced when flying. Every other airport simply placed the tag in the box and put a barcode of some sort on my bag. Three times now I have watched my bag leave the cargo hold while getting off the plane.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    I've used the procedure you outlined many times. It could have changed since I last checked baggage with firearms - about one year ago - but I've always been told ammunition has to be in the box it was purchased. I know, I know, that doesn't make any sense, but it's what they told me once and I've always done it that way. I have ammo boxes that are much better than the factory boxes and labeled correctly, but it doesn't matter - common sense does not apply here.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    When I travel from Indy it's exactly like you said but in addition...

they stamp your boarding pass or give you a card to give to the TSA screeners that identifies you as a firearm person. Once you pass security they ask you for the key and you wait until they go check your luggage and bring you back the key. It's been about a year, since I've flown, I hope the process had changed but that Has happened to me at least twice. It takes them about 10 minutes.

The desk agent printed a separate card for me, that identified me as "declared firearm in checked luggage", which she instructed me to show to the TSA agent at security. I don't know if it is different going through Pre-check vs. the normal security, but she just looked at it and handed it back to me. She didn't ask for the key, or anything.

Just to repeat for ya'll.

Carry multiple copies of the paper work for the (DHS - Airlines) in different locations.

It paid off once in Orlando a few years back with a over dealous co-worker who was standing behind the girl checking me in.

I had the TSA policy and Unite's policy pulled up on the browser on my phone, just in case. Fortunately, I didn't need either one.

Far as I am concerned it is worth it to check your pistol. If nothing else you avoid having to use those annoying self check in stations.

I check in online 24 hours before departure (better chance of getting an Economy Plus bump-up), and use the electronic boarding passes on my phone app. I'm not sure why anyone would want to use the kiosks (except for people like my parents, who refuse to get smart phones).

or just drive.

oh, don't forget your LTCH

I hate driving through Illinois. Plus, with the hours I work, I'm grateful not to have to drive, especially for the return trip.

Yes ...that is the procedure. You are good to go.

Thanks. Everything went smoothly. I didn't encounter any problems.

Technically you are not permitted to give them the key to the gun case. Under Federal law you must open it and be present while they "inspect" it and then you relock it. The key must be in your possession at all times.

I unlocked the case for the United desk agent, and showed her that it was unloaded. Then I locked it back up, and put the declared-firearm card on top of the case. It remained locked and secure until I picked it up in the baggage claim in St. Louis. I noticed that the case was removed from the tie-down strap, and one of the boxes of ammo had been pulled out. So, it does look like they checked it - that, or things just shifted in flight.

I've used the procedure you outlined many times. It could have changed since I last checked baggage with firearms - about one year ago - but I've always been told ammunition has to be in the box it was purchased. I know, I know, that doesn't make any sense, but it's what they told me once and I've always done it that way. I have ammo boxes that are much better than the factory boxes and labeled correctly, but it doesn't matter - common sense does not apply here.

The desk agent asked me if the ammo was in the original manufacturer's packaging, and it was. I could have brought reloads, in more-secure, plastic cases; but I figured I was better off taking a couple of the range boxes I had. That way, I was sure not to have an issue.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    OK, I checked to see if the Federal Flight Rules had changed since I flew last. It has been "amended" 3 times (last one was 2006) but I could not find any reference to what exactly was amended and every single cite for the FFR shows the original wording of the law. It does clearly state that only you may have possession of the key and/or combination to the gun case at ALL TIMES - no one else. If they ask for the key you may legally refuse but be prepared for the TSA agents brains to explode if you do. I have spoken with several passengers who did refuse to give TSA the key - when TSA got all pissy about it airline supervisors were called and they told the TSA it was the way the passenger claimed it was. One passenger actually threatened to summon a police officer to arrest the TSA agent who demanded that he give him the key (illegal under Federal law). The TSA agent immediately backed down at that suggestion and said "OK!". The airline has the final determination on what or may not may go in THEIR aircraft - NOT the TSA. The TSA's authority does not extend past the boarding checkpoints. Aircraft are operated under Federal Flight Rules and/or any additional rules required by the airline's insurance carrier (like how much ammo weight you can check). These rules have been in place and followed for many years before 9-11 and the "creation" of the Dept. of Homeboy Security. Print the air carrier's rules and take them with you because the TSA is NOT using the rule of law. They just make it up as they go. They need to be held to some kind of standard but they get away with a lot of ridiculous stuff only because no one hardly ever challenges them. They are simply security guards impersonating real cops. And they have been caught many times stealing passenger's property. Their only function is to make dumb Americans "feel safer". This is just like OC and cops who don't know what the law actually says. Stand up for you rights.

Last edited:

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Gee, I thought all you had to do was walk into the middle of the ticket / booking area, and in a loud, clear, and succinct voice, state, "I. Declare. FIREARM!" :lmfao:

This is the best option.

Hold it above you head and say "I have a gun!"
    To further put peoples minds at ease say "I know how to use it!"
    They will relax once they realize you are proficient in the use of a firearm.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    I have walked up to the ticket counter several times and quietly announced that I needed to declare a firearm and people around me would back away. I have had female agents back up and look faint when I opened the gun case for them to inspect (with the gun clearly disassembled in pieces). They will sometimes attempt to attach the "declared unloaded firearm" tag to the outside of your bag. Wrong. Some agents have assumed that I was an LEO and handed me the wrong paperwork to fill out (which puts me in the position of impersonating a police officer). I kid you not. Know the rules. The TSA does not. Some of the agents don't either. Ask for a Supervisor if they don't know.

Top Bottom