• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    There is no need to respect that belief, particularly a great deal. Just because you hold an opinion does not mean it demands respect. Not all ideas are equal. I have no respect for barbarous dogma and the related mythology.

I have respect for people with deeply held beliefs, religious or otherwise. I may or may not share those beliefs, but at least you know where they stand. It's quite uncommon in our age of moral relativism. It's the desire to forcibly impose those beliefs on others that I do not much care for.

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    I have respect for people with deeply held beliefs, religious or otherwise. I may or may not share those beliefs, but at least you know where they stand. It's quite uncommon in our age of moral relativism. It's the desire to forcibly impose those beliefs on others that I do not much care for.

Your last sentence is the most important distinction; the trust of my previous statement. Of course, that is exactly what we saw the other night.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    this gaffe is really no different than when something horrible happens and someone says "it's all part of god's plan." to me that's laughable that god would plan on giving a toddler cancer. lots of people believe in "god's plan" or fate or whatever....this particular expression of that rationale just happened to be in socially poor taste as rape is NOT a topic people like to talk about at all, much less as part of some supernatural script.

I know plenty of people who are absolutely pro-life, from sparing the convicted serial killer to stopping the abortion resulting from a sexual assault. And while I may not agree with that view, i can certainly respect those who have truly have those beliefs.

Regardless of how boneheaded this statement was, the reality is that abortion is not going anywhere any time soon-no matter who is elected. There's no way I will be voting for the other guy because of it.

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Why is this being classified as a gaffe? Why is it not being classified as a deeply held belief? Is it because he walked it back after being called out?

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I don't think he has walked back. He clarified his statement, but I haven't heard him back up.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    No. Her wounds have been treated. She is residing in a recovery suite, her parents hovering nervously around her bed. Next to her, on the tray is a cup which contains a pill. A pill that will alleviate the worry of a rape pregnancy, the subsequent mental issues, as well as financial.

Make an argument justifying your authority to dictate that the will of the parents and their 13 year old child is overridden by your decision of adopting a complete abolition of abortion.

I would not let someone terminate life. How do the parents will figure? Could they override the adolescent?

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I don't think abortion should even be a subject of debates. The government should have no part in it. I do NOT believe in abortion. I also don't believe I have the right to force my beliefs upon someone else. We all have to try to make decisions that we can live with. It would take a very self righteous individual to tell an 11 year old little girl pregnant by her child molesting father, uncle, etc. that she had to put herself at further risk by carrying the pregnancy to term.

Quite aside from considerations of the right or duty of the "State" to forbid the death of a person who has - literally - done nothing to deserve it, the specific incident you're positing would fall under the "life of the mother is in danger" exception to which most Pro-Life advocates adhere.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    There is no need to respect that belief, particularly a great deal. Just because you hold an opinion does not mean it demands respect. Not all ideas are equal. I have no respect for barbarous dogma and the related mythology.

Is there a need to respect any belief or only that belief?

What criteria establishes a barbarous vs nonbarbarous belief?

How do you define mythology?

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Quite aside from considerations of the right or duty of the "State" to forbid the death of a person who has - literally - done nothing to deserve it, the specific incident you're positing would fall under the "life of the mother is in danger" exception to which most Pro-Life advocates adhere.

Why not? You can be pro life and support genocide apparently.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Why not? You can be pro life and support genocide apparently.

I can be pro-life and rant about genocide all I want as long as I'm not committing genocide or inducing others to do so. I won't insult you by implying you can't tell the difference between letting off steam and acting on such talk.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I can be pro-life and rant about genocide all I want as long as I'm not committing genocide or inducing others to do so. I won't insult you by implying you can't tell the difference between letting off steam and acting on such talk.

Letting off steam? It's been your MO any time you talk about Mid East foreign policy. Voting for candidates that might grant your wish isn't the same as carrying it out, true...

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011

Dontcha hate it when you miss something, go back through the whole thread, and still can't figure out what it is?

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Do other mammalians terminate their young in utero?

Still curious why you included parents do they have a determining role?

Do you favor laws equating homicide with feticide?

It is worse. Some abandon, some consume. The common thread is that none of them can reason.

She is a minor.

No. No one equates the two. That is why the latter exists. A doctor terminating a fallopian tube pregnancy is not a murderer.

Last edited:

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Do other mammalians terminate their young in utero?

Still curious why you included parents do they have a determining role?

Do you favor laws equating homicide with feticide?

Do other mammals commit rape?

If the victim is a minor child, of course they do.

Not sure what you mean by that?

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Letting off steam? It's been your MO any time you talk about Mid East foreign policy. Voting for candidates that might grant your wish isn't the same as carrying it out, true...

From the Merriam-Webster online dictionary:

Definition of GENOCIDE

: the deliberate and systematic destruction of a racial, political, or cultural group

As a policy, I believe that, if we're going to have to fight someone, we should do it on their turf. If there are going to be collateral civilian casualties, I'd rather they be theirs than ours. Other than my initial remarks after Benghazi about carpet-bombing the city - which was a rant rather than a policy statement - I've not advocated genocide, nor has any candidate I have supported.

Trooper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Are you willing to deny an adolescent rape victim being treated in an ER for her attack an abortifacient? These are the scenarios with which I struggle against the absolutist viewpoint.

And how many times does this even become a problem? Maybe one out of several thousand abortions. Most abortions are either done because of poor self control (not taking birth control) or because someone wanted to make a blood sacrifice to the Great Mother (Ga'ia).

Frankly I want democrats to abort all of their children.

Top Bottom