• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Great News! It would be even better if it included DR. when you take your kids in...Mine are grown so I don't have this problem anymore. And I've O.C. at my DR. office

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Great News! It would be even better if it included DR. when you take your kids in...Mine are grown so I don't have this problem anymore. And I've O.C. at my DR. office

There is no law against that. This is an act that removes the ability of governmental units to add local ordinances controlling properties not belonging to them in re: the carry, possession, etc. of firearms. I've carried at my doctor's office as well. Worst they can do is tell me to leave and charge me with trespassing if I refuse to do so. They will then lose a patient and any number of others whom I tell why.

To paraphrase Kathy Jackson's corneredcat.com site, I do not carry a gun TO the store, TO the doctor's office, or TO anywhere in particular. I go to the store, the doctor, and various places and when I go out, I am armed. I shouldn't have to plan my day around a return home to leave my pistol there because somewhere I have to go requires I not be armed.

Blessings,
    Bill

INyooper

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2009
    North Central IN
    To paraphrase Kathy Jackson's corneredcat.com site, I do not carry a gun TO the store, TO the doctor's office, or TO anywhere in particular. I go to the store, the doctor, and various places and when I go out, I am armed. I shouldn't have to plan my day around a return home to leave my pistol there because somewhere I have to go requires I not be armed.

Blessings,
    Bill

I like that; people don't understand why I cc at church. It's not because I believe church is necessarily a dangerous place but, before or after, I may stop to get some gas, pick up some munchies, go to the grocery store, have lunch with friends, etc., etc. ...essentially, just go about my day. FWIW, I carry my cell phone, a pen, a knife, a comb (HA! ...okay, I'm an optimist! ;)), a small flashlight, my wallet with assorted items in it ...including an insurance card (that I don't necessarily plan on using when I go out), and a store credit card to a place 600 miles away from where I used to live (now, that, I do wonder why I still have! :D).

In any event, good news for the new law to take effect! :yesway:

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I like that; people don't understand why I cc at church. It's not because I believe church is necessarily a dangerous place but, before or after, I may stop to get some gas, pick up some munchies, go to the grocery store, have lunch with friends, etc., etc. ...essentially, just go about my day. FWIW, I carry my cell phone, a pen, a knife, a comb (HA! ...okay, I'm an optimist! ;)), a small flashlight, my wallet with assorted items in it ...including an insurance card (that I don't necessarily plan on using when I go out), and a store credit card to a place 600 miles away from where I used to live (now, that, I do wonder why I still have! :D).

In any event, good news for the new law to take effect! :yesway:

Yep. If I think a place I'm going is specifically dangerous, I won't go there, or I'll find a way to go there at a time or in a way that's less so. Much like the old joke about the old sheriff at a dinner. A woman looked down her nose at him and sniffed disdainfully, "I see you brought your sidearm, Sheriff. Are you expecting trouble?"
    He replied, "No Ma'am. If I was expecting trouble, I'd've brought my rifle."

Most of us have a luxury that the sheriff didn't: If he expected trouble, he'd still have to go-that's his job. We can choose to go elsewhere or with someone else or at another time.

Your comparison of the pistol to the wallet or especially the insurance card is excellent. The other side will reply that the insurance card can't be used to cause harm to another person, but the correct response to that, IMHO, is "Neither can my gun unless it's taken from me; Good luck trying to do that. Mine will only harm someone trying to do harm to me or to someone under my protection."

(And yeah, that store credit card probably could get put away at home. ;))

Blessings,
    Bill

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    In the purest sense, and I know I'm going to take heat for this one, it shouldn't be against the law for an employer to ask, only that there shouldnt be a requirement for an answer. An employer should have the ability to ask, but the employee should be able to tell them to pound sand.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    In the purest sense, and I know I'm going to take heat for this one, it shouldn't be against the law for an employer to ask, only that there shouldnt be a requirement for an answer. An employer should have the ability to ask, but the employee should be able to tell them to pound sand.

I had a similar discussion with a guy on Facebook.

He said if his employees didnt answer, or answered "yes, I carry", he would find another reason to fire them...

THAT is why I dont agree with your premise...

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I had a similar discussion with a guy on Facebook.

He said if his employees didnt answer, or answered "yes, I carry", he would find another reason to fire them...

THAT is why I dont agree with your premise...

Oh, I agree totally. However, it's a "what if" scenario. Technically, and IMO, it's a violation of free speech. But you have to consider my stance. I have no problem with a business owner asking anything. If he doesn't want to hire blacks, gays, the handicapped, smokers, gun owners, felons, or whatever, that's his perrogative to do so. If one doesn't agree with his decisions don't do business with them. The free market (if it was real) would sort it out. Now concerning govt institutions, my opinion would be different.

The best way to solidify gun rights is to be wary of infringement on our other rights.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    At my job (delivering pizza) it's don't ask, don't tell.
    Using my personal car for work, would this law still apply to me?

I dont know if that has ever been addressed. Logically, I would think so(IANAL).

My previous job involved driving my own car, but I drove a route stopping at places considered "utilities" under the law, so legally, the "gun in car" did not apply to me...

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA

I agree. It's no different than the 5th Amendment. You can ask me anything you want. I have the right to remain silent or tell you to get bent. :patriot:

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    I believe that this law is a violation of private property rights. I'm pro gun, but I'm also a firm believer in private property rights. You have the right to be armed on Public property, but on Private property, the property owner is in charge.

I would much rather boycott employers who mistreat gun owners than use the government to force employers to play like I want them to play.

grizman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Home
    I believe that this law is a violation of private property rights. I'm pro gun, but I'm also a firm believer in private property rights. You have the right to be armed on Public property, but on Private property, the property owner is in charge.

I would much rather boycott employers who mistreat gun owners than use the government to force employers to play like I want them to play.

AHUM, your vehicle is private property even when it is parked on anothers private property. So explain how you loose your property rights when parked there?

The fact employers are now not legally allowed to ask about firearms is more of an invasion of privacy restriction than a denial of the 1A.

No conflict, IMO, as that question is a private matter.

Top Bottom