• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    I'm not a grammar nazi, but when you couple that with a need to go straight to insults on anyone who doesn't agree with their "arrument", 1+1=2. I don't know that you're stupid, but I am not at all impressed by your personality and therefore your opinion, by extension, holds little weight with me.

If you had a sound argument, you could support it with more than insults.

Welcome to the ignore list. I hope this thread is an outlier here.

Good luck with your petition. If this is the persona with which you plan to approach the DNR, I don't see the regs changing anytime soon.

So just where is this insult? Fudd Crowd? And yes you are acting like a grammer nazi, ever heard of typos? Sometimes I don't catch them. Must be nice being perfect.

HOLY LAND

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Greenwood
    Indiana Hunting Regulations can be frustrating at times when you want to go hunting with a more common rifle caliber. I want to have the law updated so we can use a broader range of calibers.

Hunting white tail deer all 30 caliber rifles should be legalized in Indiana. These modern 30 caliber cartridges are used nationwide year round for hunting, target practice and other activities. People are limited on how they are able to hunt with the way the law is now; we are not able to used our Grandpa’s old 3030 rifle or any other modern rifle because of the current law. 30 caliber riffles are used in a lot of states for hunting deer and I believe Indiana should allow us to have the same option. I feel it’s a shame that many people who move to Indiana and have more common caliber rifles are forbidden to use them for hunting and can only find themselves with the choice of shots guns or the limited selection listed in the DNR book.

It can cost more than most people have to build a gun around the offered legal calibers. One gentleman said, “My dad has hunted with a shotgun his whole life, and the recoil is getting painful in his older age. I would love to let him borrow my rifle that has much less recoil, because I am not able to afford to buy him a new one that happens to fit inside Indiana’s narrow caliber rules”. Indiana ground isn’t flat like a lot of people say, we have hills which would be backstops for the bullets and people in tree stands don’t fire up in the air and their backstop is the ground. Hunters on the ground position themselves near a deer trail so that they can find a deer in a controlled space so when they shoot they have a backstop so the bullet will be limited on travel and won’t hit anyone. As far as the arguments against using modern cartridges, any bullet is lethal. If a hunter is shooting without being certain they have an effective backstop then they are willing to risk of someone's life for a deer. Hunter education should cover these safety issues.

My argument for legalizing modern rifle calibers would be:

*Greater accuracy so you will have a cleaner kill. The animal will suffer less, and you will have less wounded deers running away only to have the hunter not retrieve the injured deer and shoot another. The hunter would have more control of his shot placement limiting damage to the deer’s vital organs.

*More people own the more common calibers, so you may have more people take up an interest in hunting, selling more licenses and rifles in Indiana increasing Indiana's revenue.

*Hunters from out of state can hunt here since the rifle's they already own can be used also increasing Indiana's revenue by selling the higher priced out of state licenses.

*Most modern rifle calibers have lower recoil than a shotgun, allowing older hunters to hunt longer. It may also reduce injuries of people falling out of stands due to the heavier recoil knocking them off balance in a tree stand.

Please sign my petition. If you have any suggestions please feel free to comment in the forum’s thread. Thank you.

Petition Indiana Hunting Rifle Cartridge Change

Donjr721

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2013
    Rockville
    There is zero reason why Indiana could not allow modern centerfire rifles for hunting whitetail like its southern neighbor.

ZERO.

But hey, we can't make this deer hunting thing too easy or inclusive for new participants...wouldn't want just anybody having the chance to shoot deer that rightfully belong to the "I'm more dedicated than you" bowhunting blowhards.

Agreed. (Diehard bow hunter).
    But I would like to use a rifle

BtG

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 11, 2013
    west central
    I'm to lazy to read 23 pages of thread but I'm gonna go ahead and throw my 2 cents in here.

To those who are worried about over hunting of the population. I call B.S. My parents get 9 land owner tags a year. That's a total of 18 deer, plus they have the option to purchase additional tags. So if the state is willing to give out the tags so freely why would this be an issue.

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    I think the rules should be changed to reflect some level of consistency.

No reason at all why you should be able to use something like a 300AAC in a 12" AR pistol, but not a 16" rifle. Same thing for cartridges like the .243 win in a 14" contender pistol. Its goofy, and the pistols are going to more difficult to shoot accurately.

You already have people using pistols with rifle-like ballistics without incident. Just let them use rifles and make better shots on their game.

Make conventional rifles legal, and perhaps if the State feels the need, simply prohibit some of the longer reaching cartridges by name. For example:

7.62x39 / 30-30 / 35Rem / 6.8spc / 300AAC / 243win - YES in all platforms

308 / 30-06 / 300win mag / 7mmRem mag - NO in all platforms.

You cant tell me that a 7mmRem mag is too dangerous from a rifle for Indiana hunting lands, but perfectly fine if the same bullet is fired from a specialty pistol with a few inches shorter barrel. Doesn't pass the sniff test.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    ChalupaCabras said:
    Make conventional rifles legal, and perhaps if the State feels the need, simply prohibit some of the longer reaching cartridges by name.

Might be easier to simply name sub-35cal SAAMI cartridges that WOULD be legal in a rifle; it'd be easy for COs and sportsmen alike to abide by the law in that instance.

6.8 SPC
    7.62x39
    300 Whisper
    300 AAC
    30-30
    etc.

I think an argument could be made for a 6.5 Grendel being included in the 'approved list', but its drop/drift ballistics from a 16" barrel rival that of many longer-barreled 308s and might be a bridge too far.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    Approve any standard SAAMI chamberings excluding magnums initially. If things don't go haywire, then down the road rethink the magnums. At least start doing something other than peddling fear as law.

yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana
    Ok, we have been over this before but:

1. The slugs only rule was to handicap deer hunters.

2. The prohibition on centerfire rifles for deer(note that it is only for deer, not coyote or squirrel up in a tree) has absolutely nothing to do with topography.

3. Studies have discounted the misguided nothing that slugs are somehow "safer". We have linked the Pennsylvania study on INGO before.

I have to agree with you sir , It make no sense to me tho that you can hunt yote and other animals with high power ammo but not Deer... That part just don't make sense to me...

den57

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Franklin, In

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    So in Indiana everyone should shoot a belted magnum case cut way back and necked to .35 caliber... hey, that might be kinda neat. Could name it the .35 Stupid Paper Pusher.

Small's

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    south of Indy
    Its kinda funny after ready some of the comments on indiana sportsman where guys are blasting the idea of using something like a 30/30 but yet they are shooting a 200 grain chunk of lead with 150 grains of powder out of there muzzleloader. Eveen the shotgun slugs today are capable of 200 plus yard hits with a good setup. I dont see see any advantages of a small rifle cartridge over a muzzleloader other than alot of us have them and would would like to be able to use them and they are easier on maintenance/cleaning. It would be nice to use a 30\30 or even 7.62x39 but I dont see it ever happening. Its ok to shoot a 7mm out of a 14" barrel but dont use that long range 30/30. Not much logic but then again how many gov agencies use logic. I want to hear Joe Biddens opinion on it. His solution to getting out of debt is. You mean to tell me we have to spent more money to get out of debt? Why yes we do.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    Put his wishes in the same file as the fellow who wanted to legalize the 10mm, that's file 13.

You are most likely right. It will probably take a full out boycott with the attendant loss of revenue to change the regulations to allow "everyone's pet calibers" AKA commonly available over the shelf SAAMI chamberings to be used in a state that seems to favor the few wildcat builders. Until then, I will have fun using my pet .308 on deer in Kentucky.

HOLY LAND

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Greenwood
    Indiana Hunting Regulations can be frustrating at times when you want to go hunting with a more common rifle caliber. I want to have the law updated so we can use a broader range of calibers.

Hunting white tail deer all 30 caliber rifles should be legalized in Indiana. These modern 30 caliber cartridges are used nationwide year round for hunting, target practice and other activities. People are limited on how they are able to hunt with the way the law is now; we are not able to used our Grandpa’s old 3030 rifle or any other modern rifle because of the current law. 30 caliber riffles are used in a lot of states for hunting deer and I believe Indiana should allow us to have the same option. I feel it’s a shame that many people who move to Indiana and have more common caliber rifles are forbidden to use them for hunting and can only find themselves with the choice of shots guns or the limited selection listed in the DNR book.

It can cost more than most people have to build a gun around the offered legal calibers. One gentleman said, “My dad has hunted with a shotgun his whole life, and the recoil is getting painful in his older age. I would love to let him borrow my rifle that has much less recoil, because I am not able to afford to buy him a new one that happens to fit inside Indiana’s narrow caliber rules”. Indiana ground isn’t flat like a lot of people say, we have hills which would be backstops for the bullets and people in tree stands don’t fire up in the air and their backstop is the ground. Hunters on the ground position themselves near a deer trail so that they can find a deer in a controlled space so when they shoot they have a backstop so the bullet will be limited on travel and won’t hit anyone. As far as the arguments against using modern cartridges, any bullet is lethal. If a hunter is shooting without being certain they have an effective backstop then they are willing to risk of someone's life for a deer. Hunter education should cover these safety issues.

*Greater accuracy so you will have a cleaner kill. The animal will suffer less, and you will have less wounded deers running away only to have the hunter not retrieve the injured deer and shoot another. The hunter would have more control of his shot placement limiting damage to the deer’s vital organs.

*More people own the more common calibers, so you may have more people take up an interest in hunting, selling more licenses and rifles in Indiana increasing Indiana's revenue.

*Hunters from out of state can hunt here since the rifle's they already own can be used also increasing Indiana's revenue by selling the higher priced out of state licenses.

*Most modern rifle calibers have lower recoil than a shotgun, allowing older hunters to hunt longer. It may also reduce injuries of people falling out of stands due to the heavier recoil knocking them off balance in a tree stand.

Please sign my petition. If you have any suggestions please feel free to comment in the forum’s thread. Thank you.
    Petition Indiana Hunting Rifle Cartridge Change

HOLY LAND

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Greenwood

Hunting white tail deer all 30 caliber rifles should be legalized in Indiana. These modern 30 caliber cartridges are used nationwide year round for hunting, target practice and other activities. People are limited on how they are able to hunt with the way the law is now; we are not able to use our Grandpa’s old 3030 rifle or any other modern rifle because of the current law. 30 caliber riffles are used in a lot of states for hunting deer and I believe Indiana should allow us to have the same option. I feel it’s a shame that many people who move to Indiana and have more common caliber rifles are forbidden to use them for hunting and can only find themselves with the choice of shots guns or the limited selection listed in the DNR book.

It can cost more than most people have to build a gun around the offered legal calibers. One gentleman said, “My dad has hunted with a shotgun his whole life, and the recoil is getting painful in his older age. I would love to let him borrow my rifle that has much less recoil, because I am not able to afford to buy him a new one that happens to fit inside Indiana’s narrow caliber rules”. Indiana ground isn’t flat like a lot of people say, we have hills which would be backstops for the bullets and people in tree stands don’t fire up in the air and their backstop is the ground. Hunters on the ground position themselves near a deer trail so that they can find a deer in a controlled space so when they shoot they have a backstop so the bullet will be limited on travel and won’t hit anyone. As far as the arguments against using modern cartridges, any bullet is lethal. Any hunter shooting without being certain what is beyond the deer is being reckless. Hunter education covers this safety issues during class, because I know they Iron in to the minds of every student the, "Ten Commandments of Hunting Safety".

Please sign my petition. If you have any comments please feel free to add them. Thank you.

HOLY LAND

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Greenwood
    I wanted to say to everyone who has signed my Petition, thank you very much for your help. Without your signatures changing the law would not be possible.

For everyone that has left comments or have just read the Petition thank you for keeping this Thread alive.

We can do this TOGETHER! We still have a small ways to go and I need all of your help to make this possible.
    Please share the petition with your friends and family.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom