• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    What about a SBR??? Krink with a stock? Aren't those considered to be pistols under Federal law? Maybe they could slide in under Indiana law too. Sorry I'm not a deer hunter but the thought has intrigued me.

My understanding is no, they are not considered pistols under federal law, but knowing that the Indiana Supreme Court considers a pistol grip shotgun "adapted for firing with one hand" (LOL) you never know... and then there's this:

IC 35-47-1-6
    "Handgun"
    Sec. 6. "Handgun" means any firearm:
    (1) designed or adapted so as to be aimed and fired from one (1) hand, regardless of barrel length; or
    (2) any firearm with:
    (A) a barrel less than sixteen (16) inches in length; or
    (B) an overall length of less than twenty-six (26) inches.

SO if your SBR is under 26 inches it IS BY DEFINITION a handgun... so you would need a LTCH to "carry" it, and by the same definition, I suppose that it would be legal to hunt with, as long as the barrel is at least 4" in length.

So your <26" SBR in 6.8 SPC or 6.5mm Grendel BY DEFINITION is legal to hunt with. I know of nothing in the IC or IAC to the contrary, IANAL, YMMV, etc.

However, if you plan to do this, I would highly recommend you get a written ruling from the DNR.

Philabuster

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    Laporte, IN
    I maybe young (25) but im a farmboy former marine/distinguished shooter/ scout sniper and im well school in firearms lol i love clips too but they only normally 5 to 10 rounds :D plus how many 25 year old's have a C&R and build firearms(and i dont count AR's):dunno:

You are all those things and you refer to magazines as "clips". Strange.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    My understanding is no, they are not considered pistols under federal law, but knowing that the Indiana Supreme Court considers a pistol grip shotgun "adapted for firing with one hand" (LOL) you never know... and then there's this:

SO if your SBR is under 26 inches it IS BY DEFINITION a handgun... so you would need a LTCH to "carry" it, and by the same definition, I suppose that it would be legal to hunt with, as long as the barrel is at least 4" in length.

So your <26" SBR in 6.8 SPC or 6.5mm Grendel BY DEFINITION is legal to hunt with. I know of nothing in the IC or IAC to the contrary, IANAL, YMMV, etc.

However, if you plan to do this, I would highly recommend you get a written ruling from the DNR.

Sweet! Thats what I had in mind I just didn't take the time to write it out all the way but I was thinking somewhere that a rifle with less than a 16" barrel was considered a pistol. This gives me an idea for a kick ass deer rifle...

Repped for the good info, thanks again!

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    This gives me an idea for a kick ass deer rifle...

Thanks for the rep. I wish you luck, but you can be 99% certain that this was not the intent of the law, so please do yourself a favor and e-mail the DNR. The CO who confiscates your deer, gun, and truck might not have the same interpretation of the "actual verbiage" of the law.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Thanks for the rep. I wish you luck, but you can be 99% certain that this was not the intent of the law, so please do yourself a favor and e-mail the DNR. The CO who confiscates your deer, gun, and truck might not have the same interpretation of the "actual verbiage" of the law.

Yeah definitely! I would be hesitant to hunt with a bolt action .308 pistol in Indiana...

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Yeah definitely! I would be hesitant to hunt with a bolt action .308 pistol in Indiana...

I'd be hesitant, too... But not from a legal standpoint. From a recoil standpoint, yes. But not legal.

Though a factory .308 bolt-action pistol would be hard to find. Semi-auto "AR" type pistols...sure. Even some HK pistols. And plenty of T/C single-shots.

-J-

D-Bo

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Funcie
    Copied from DNR hand book 2011. Rifles with cartridges that fire a bul-
    let of .357-inch diameter or larger; have a minimum case length of 1.16 inches; and have a maximum case length of 1.625 inches are legal to use only during the deer firearm season. Some cartridges legal for deer hunting include the .357 Magnum, .38-.40 Winchester, .41 Magnum, .41 Special, .44 Magnum, .44 Special, .44-.40 Winchester, .45 Colt, .454 Casull, .458 SOCOM, .475 Linebaugh, .480 Ruger, .50 Action Express, and .500 S&W.
    Handguns for deer hunting: Handguns, other than muzzle loading, must have a barrel at least 4 inches long and must fire
    a bullet of .243-inch diameter or larger. The handgun cartridge case, without the bullet, must be at least 1.16 inches long. Full metal- jacketed bullets are not permitted.
    Handguns are not permitted on any mili- tary areas.
    Some types of handgun cartridges legal for deer hunting include .357 Magnum, .41 Magnum, .44 Magnum, .44 Special, .45 Colt, .45 Long Colt, .45 Winchester Magnum, .35 Remington and .357 Herrett

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009

Yes a sbr is a handgun for LTCH purposes, but not for deer hunting regs.

See 312 IAC 9-3-3

(1) A shotgun must have a gauge 10, 12, 16, 20, or.410 bore loaded with a single projectile.
    (2) A handgun must:
    (A) conform to the requirements of IC 35-47-2;
    (B) have a barrel at least four (4) inches long;
    (C) fire a bullet of two hundred forty-three thousandths (.243) inch diameter or larger; and
    (D) not be a rifle that has a barrel less than eighteen (18) inches or is designed or redesigned to be fired from the
    shoulder.

Sweet! Thats what I had in mind I just didn't take the time to write it out all the way but I was thinking somewhere that a rifle with less than a 16" barrel was considered a pistol. This gives me an idea for a kick ass deer rifle...

Repped for the good info, thanks again!

Sorry to burst your bubble, I had the same idea. And from my reading of IAC it won't fly.:(

Top Bottom