• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    :ar15:Just reading thes posts about grenade launchers abd such. And Began Wondering are Flash Bangs classified as DD? Can't afoord the grenade launchers, but was thinking a couple of flash bangs would be handy to have in SHTF/GOOD bag. Might be a better option to clearing a path through a crowd than popping up or out of your vehicle, with your weapon of choice when your trying to get to your safe spot!
    If it contains more than XX ounces of an explosive or propellent it is considered an explosive DD. I want to say the amount is 1/2 ounce but I'm not positive. You can't have any explosive DD's in IN (you probably know that already if you read through the thread).

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    If it contains more than XX ounces of an explosive or propellent it is considered an explosive DD. I want to say the amount is 1/2 ounce but I'm not positive. You can't have any explosive DD's in IN (you probably know that already if you read through the thread).

This is absolutely untrue.
    Only SBS are banned in Indiana.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Haha.

Sorry, guys...
    I was necroposting and didn't even bother to finish reading the thread.
    I got :owned:

My apologies to you, CB19!
    No problem. It happens. With all the laws on the books it's hard to keep them straight sometimes. I once thought all DD's were legal too. Actually, it may have been this exact thread that brought to light that explosive DD's weren't permitted.

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    Could an unmarked 40mm grenade launcer be registered as a DD by the ATF with a $200 tax stamp and approval. Would it be an illegal DD because it was not registered prior to the NFA?

Your question is a bit confusing, but I think your asking about building your own 40mm launcher. The answer is, yes, you can build your own launcher and register it as a DD via the form 1 process. (Just like building your own SBR, only with a lot more machine work.)

The only NFA items that can no longer be made for "new" purchases to civilians, are machine guns. Everything else can be, bought or made, new.

That said, ALWAYS get your approved form 1 in hand before building your SBR-silencer-DD-AOW.

hth

Chipslinger

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Sorry about the confusion. I will try to clarify.

If someone has a 40mm launcher that is their Uncles, Grandpas, Dads, friends, yours, mine.. etc. It has no NFA #'s or no known paper work. Can you apply for a tax stamp for the launcher. If their is no known paperwork is it an illegal launcher... I assume so if it's a 40mm as stated. Could it be made legal? I have had questions about launchers and did not know to tell the person inquiring to destroy it or apply for a tax stamp if they want to keep it. Could it be made inoperable and keep it w/o a tax stamp? I have heard stories about peoples friends and relatives having them. I hope this helps with my question? Thanks!

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    If it exists as a whole, with no paperwork, it should be destroyed because it is illegal. You can't magically go from being "in violation" to completely legal...

Chipslinger

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    That's what I thought... w/o the magic part? :D
    Could it be made inoperable... weld a plug in it, remove firing mechanism or something?? To me it would be best to destroy it and take no chances. Do you measure the the ID of the business end or the chamber ID (or does it matter) to determine if its a 37mm or 40mm. Thanks!

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    Destroy it, dispose of what remains.

Hypothetically, of course.

You would measure the bore/ID of the barrel.

Chipslinger

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    If it exists as a whole, with no paperwork, it should be destroyed because it is illegal. You can't magically go from being "in violation" to completely legal...

Destroy it, dispose of what remains.

Hypothetically, of course.

You would measure the bore/ID of the barrel.

That's what I thought but wanted to be sure. A complete unregistered 40mm launcer is illegal and there is no way to make it legal and therefore should be destroyed. Thanks for the info guys!

TacticalM4

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 23, 2011
    I want one. I wonder if an AirSoft would fit up or is that sacrilegious? Would probably look pretty cool.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    That's what I thought... w/o the magic part? :D
    Could it be made inoperable... weld a plug in it, remove firing mechanism or something?? To me it would be best to destroy it and take no chances. Do you measure the the ID of the business end or the chamber ID (or does it matter) to determine if its a 37mm or 40mm. Thanks!

Yes, there is a procedure for demilling Destructive Devices. From the NFA Handbook:

Large caliber destructive devices that are not also machineguns can be removed from the NFA by
    disposing of the barrel. If the barrel of a 37mm cannon is removed and disposed of, the remaining
    weapon has no barrel or bore diameter. As an alternative, the barrel of a destructive device may be
    functionally destroyed. To destroy the barrel of a destructive device the following operations must be
    performed:
    • Cut a hole, equal to the diameter of the bore, on a 90-degree angle to the axis of the bore,
    through one side of the barrel in the high pressure (chamber) area.
    • Weld the barrel to the receiver of the weapon.
    • Weld an obstruction into the barrel to prevent the introduction of a round of ammunition.

I was at the 1500 last weekend. There was a guy with some sort of bazooka (looked like a German Panzerschreck, but was from another country) sitting on his table. It had a giant hole in the side of the tube.

So, if you found a 40mm grenade launcher, you could remove and destroy the barrel, then register the receiver of the launcher on a Form 1, and buy a new barrel, if one is available.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Just an addendum to this, unless this is a family heirloom that you're really set on hanging up on the wall, you can certainly demil the receiver and sell the parts. M79 parts are $$$$. So if you find an M79 in grandpas don't chop it up and destroy it. There are lots of people out there that are always looking for M79 parts.

The barrel is always the hardest. It can't be easily made by any old machinist.

Yes, there is a procedure for demilling Destructive Devices. From the NFA Handbook:

Large caliber destructive devices that are not also machineguns can be removed from the NFA by
    disposing of the barrel. If the barrel of a 37mm cannon is removed and disposed of, the remaining
    weapon has no barrel or bore diameter. As an alternative, the barrel of a destructive device may be
    functionally destroyed. To destroy the barrel of a destructive device the following operations must be
    performed:
    • Cut a hole, equal to the diameter of the bore, on a 90-degree angle to the axis of the bore,
    through one side of the barrel in the high pressure (chamber) area.
    • Weld the barrel to the receiver of the weapon.
    • Weld an obstruction into the barrel to prevent the introduction of a round of ammunition.

I was at the 1500 last weekend. There was a guy with some sort of bazooka (looked like a German Panzerschreck, but was from another country) sitting on his table. It had a giant hole in the side of the tube.

So, if you found a 40mm grenade launcher, you could remove and destroy the barrel, then register the receiver of the launcher on a Form 1, and buy a new barrel, if one is available.

Top Bottom