• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Thanks for the link.... man the wheels are spinning.

One question though, in the article it mentions that a 37 mm launcher is NOT considered a DD. Is that true?

If so, you can do the same thing (beehive etc.)?

I would be down with that. And $595 for that beehive thing? That is a rip off. All you would need is a pencil thin rifle barrel (I'm thinking the steel liner used to make carbon fiber barrels) to cut into sections, and then chamber each of those and press them into the housing. The hardest part would be making the striker part. Maybe drilling the holes that deep and straight would be a little challenge, but AL is soft, and a good bit in a good machine would make it pretty easy. I really don't even see any part that a CNC would be "required" for. Their design would need one, but that could easily be redesigned so no CNC would be required.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    If you take any kind of ordnance round and modify it to be used in the 37mm launchers, you must register the 37mm as a DD. They are not classified as such right off the bat because there are no "munition" rounds available for them. One popular practice is to buy one of the 40mm beehives and machine it down to fit into a 37mm launcher. To do this, you would have to register the 37mm launcher as a DD. The 40mms are all DDs because of the variety of rounds available...

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    If you take any kind of ordnance round and modify it to be used in the 37mm launchers, you must register the 37mm as a DD. They are not classified as such right off the bat because there are no "munition" rounds available for them. One popular practice is to buy one of the 40mm beehives and machine it down to fit into a 37mm launcher. To do this, you would have to register the 37mm launcher as a DD. The 40mms are all DDs because of the variety of rounds available...
    Ah, I see.

So now the ATF is classifying firearms not by the type that they are, but by what type of ammunition is available to be used in it. This just crazy. Pretty soon they're going to get caught in all this ... and ... well... I'll stop there before I get carried away (just finished reading Unintended Consequences the other day and its all fresh in my mind).

sp3worker

Expert
    Rating - 96.9%
    31   1   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Thanks for the link.... man the wheels are spinning.

One question though, in the article it mentions that a 37 mm launcher is NOT considered a DD. Is that true?

If so, you can do the same thing (beehive etc.)?

I would be down with that. And $595 for that beehive thing? That is a rip off. All you would need is a pencil thin rifle barrel (I'm thinking the steel liner used to make carbon fiber barrels) to cut into sections, and then chamber each of those and press them into the housing. The hardest part would be making the striker part. Maybe drilling the holes that deep and straight would be a little challenge, but AL is soft, and a good bit in a good machine would make it pretty easy. I really don't even see any part that a CNC would be "required" for. Their design would need one, but that could easily be redesigned so no CNC would be required.

I wonder if you really even need the liners. Accuracy is not really an issue with this type thing. You can put a hardcoat anodizing on aluminum to get it up to around 65rc, that's harder than the steel your AR barrels are made of. :dunno:

Here's a link to Randy Shivaks site, his beehives are much cheaper and hold more bullets.
    SHIVAK MACHINING - PRODUCTS

in812

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    well how is it that you can own a reg. 37 or 40mm launcher and use a 12ga adapter on an ar15 but you cant put a AOW under a ar15 beacuse it makes the AOW a SBS ?

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    well how is it that you can own a reg. 37 or 40mm launcher and use a 12ga adapter on an ar15 but you cant put a AOW under a ar15 beacuse it makes the AOW a SBS ?

:rolleyes::D:xmad:

By definition, an AOW cant have a stock. Mount one on an AR and it then has a stock. DDs can gave stocks. The fact that it is firing a 12ga shell is irrelevant because it is not a shotgun by definition.

steif

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    82   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    37mm round

Just make a adapter for a 37mm that will shoot 36 caliber black powder bullets, like 8 or 10 chambers with one cap... talk about some weird looks after shooting a black powder round in a launcher...lol..

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I wonder if you really even need the liners. Accuracy is not really an issue with this type thing. You can put a hardcoat anodizing on aluminum to get it up to around 65rc, that's harder than the steel your AR barrels are made of. :dunno:

Here's a link to Randy Shivaks site, his beehives are much cheaper and hold more bullets.
    SHIVAK MACHINING - PRODUCTS
    I did some more checking, they're offered both in smoothbore (I'll assume just as you mentioned) or in rifled (likely with liners pressed into the "round"). It seems that you can "fit" more rounds in a beehive if you go smoothbore, but I just can't imagine the rounds would fly so well, so it would be a very close-range weapon. I think I would be more willing to sacrifice a few extra rounds of ammo to get a more accurate, long-range beehive. I've looked at the available options out there and it seems that I can get a 25" .22lr barrel liner for about $35 and a .22lr reamer for $40. So you could make a beehive with 10 rifled barrels 5" long for a little over $100 in material. Man if I only had the money to register and make a DD right now. It sucks being out in the real world and having bills to pay.

Last edited:

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    I find it ironic that the acceptable beehive device here is seemingly named after the outlawed/discontinued "beehive" round that even the military stopped producing. Every time the term gets used I think of the old 105mm warheads with the dial rings on the warhead and what they would do to a target:

Beehive (ammunition) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

4127263070_ed876f207f.jpg

gtmerkley

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2008
    Farm Near St Anthony, Indiana
    Penn Arms Home > 40mm Launching Systems
    box_01.png
    box_05.png
    box_01.png
    box_05.png
    box_01.png
    box_05.png
    box_01.png
    box_05.png
    box_01.png
    box_05.png

These are a lot cheaper then I thought. The 6 shot pump sells for $2699.99 in Streicher's. Think of it the possibility are endless I could get 6 12 GA adapters Its like a SBS I could own. Or 6 beehive rounds but the adapters wound run more then the gun it self. Roll a round of #12 (shot so long starlings). Mix and match as in 12 GA, Beehive, flair, been bag, etc. They also Make a 12 shot 12 GA Striker a sawed off shotgun you can own(as a DD). And it looks like these are new in the box.

Striker2.png

"A 12-gauge, 12-shot spring advance revolving magazine fed system with a capacity of 12 rounds, it can be utilized in lethal and less lethal applications, breaching shotgun, IED disruption and other tactical purposes. The Striker-12 stands out as a very capable breaching shotgun. The vented muzzle break makes for a perfect standoff device and with a capacity of 12, there are plenty of rounds to get the job done. Once wound, the magazine rotates with each trigger pull and has an auto eject function that ejects each spent shell after it is fired. Its lightweight and ergonomic design reduces recoil significantly, enough so that it can be operated with one hand. The Striker’s spring advance feature also makes it the first choice in 12-gauge for robotic mounted platforms used for IED disruption and other tactical purposes.
    Features include:
    12-gauge double action trigger, trigger lock push button and chamber out-of-line safeties, 12-gauge, 7.5 inch to 18 inch barrels available, iron front post and rear groove sights, auto shell eject function, indexing button to bypass chambers, unloaded weight of 9 lbs/4.1 kg for 18-inch barrel, utilizes all standard 12-gauge ammunition including breaching rounds."
    Penn Arms Launchers
    I'm Not perfect if I messed something up fill free to point it out.

Shadownick

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Morristown, IN
    It is legal to own a grenade launcher, but you can not buy or shoot grenades out of it. But they make a lot of other things that you can shoot out of it. Like smoke grenades. They also make a grappling hook that can be shot out of it.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    It is legal to own a grenade launcher, but you can not buy or shoot grenades out of it. But they make a lot of other things that you can shoot out of it. Like smoke grenades. They also make a grappling hook that can be shot out of it.
    And you just discovered this? Did you read the thread?

BTW, you CAN buy and own grenades for it if your state permits explosive DDs. You have to pay a $200 transfer tax on EACH grenade.

SootKing

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2009
    not tellin

now why in the heck would you need a grappling hook?? get a cat out of a tree? to get the frisbee out of the gutter of your house? :laugh:

wish i had the coin to get a grenade launcher...but i would want the explosive grenades to go along with it:patriot:

indoorsoccerfrea

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Maybe I'm being daft...but are you guys saying I could buy a 37 mm launcher to put under my AK variant and would not have to register it in any fashion as long as I only shot smoke/flare/buckshot out of it?

curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County
    It is crazy that we have so many new posters asking class III questions on the same day Channel 8 was trying to interview all the SOT gunshops about DD's and Class III.

What a coincedence!!

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Flash Bangs?

:ar15:Just reading thes posts about grenade launchers abd such. And Began Wondering are Flash Bangs classified as DD? Can't afoord the grenade launchers, but was thinking a couple of flash bangs would be handy to have in SHTF/GOOD bag. Might be a better option to clearing a path through a crowd than popping up or out of your vehicle, with your weapon of choice when your trying to get to your safe spot!

Top Bottom