Indiana Cuisine: Cultural Wasteland or Hidden Gem?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    The top thing I miss most about the Bay Area. The overall diversity.

Thai restaurants
    Vietnamese
    Japanese
    Indian restaurants
    All the little Latin joints
    Where can I get some Pho at in Indiana?

And even the fast food

Tapioca Express
    In -n Out burger
    Jolibee

The food in IN just plain SUCKS.

I'm not talking about fancy cuisines, I am talking about 10 or so dollar meals. Cheap family owned restaurants. I don't want to pay 20 bucks for some fancy stuff.

Where is the nearest place to Noblesville that has drinks like Tapioca Express " Pearl Drinks " Bubble Tea, etc. I know Evansville, Hammond? I could walk to a dozen different places back in CA instead of driving half way across the state LOL

Appears to be a single Pho restaurant in Avon IN. Never been there but it's probably way over priced.

Where can I buy spicy fried Calamari like I can buy french fries at Mc Donalds?

Last edited:

RedneckReject

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I'm still looking for a place that I can get a good cheesesteak. Not the Penn Station version of one. A real cheesesteak that I would think I got from a vendor's cart somewhere in center city. I've been to numerous places that advertise they're authentic. Nope. Not even close.

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    I'm still looking for a place that I can get a good cheesesteak. Not the Penn Station version of one. A real cheesesteak that I would think I got from a vendor's cart somewhere in center city. I've been to numerous places that advertise they're authentic. Nope. Not even close.

Cheesecake wasn't part of the food culture in the Bay Area. I would love to try some real cheese cake if there is a big difference. I'm assuming you are not a fan of the Cheesecake Factory's cheesecake :D It was pretty good to me, went to the one in Palo Alto a few times by the Stanford mall

RedneckReject

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Cheesecake wasn't part of the food culture in the Bay Area. I would love to try some real cheese cake if there is a big difference. I'm assuming you are not a fan of the Cheesecake Factory's cheesecake :D It was pretty good to me, went to the one in Palo Alto a few times by the Stanford mall

Cheesesteak. Not cheesecake. Although I am a bit picky about that too. :):

But yes the Cheesecake Factory does have some delicious ones

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus

Cheesesteak. Not cheesecake. Although I am a bit picky about that too. :):

But yes the Cheesecake Factory does have some delicious ones

If it's got cheese in the name, I'm eating it! Cheesesteak, cheesecake, it doesn't matter.:D

Indiana is corn!

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove

Thai restaurants
    Vietnamese
    Japanese
    Indian restaurants

And even the fast food

Tapioca Express
    In -n Out burger
    Jolibee

I'm not talking about fancy cuisines, I am talking about 10 or so dollar meals. Cheap family owned restaurants. I don't want to pay 20 bucks for some fancy stuff.

Where is the nearest place to Noblesville that has drinks like Tapioca Express " Pearl Drinks " Bubble Tea, etc. I know Evansville, Hammond? I could walk to a dozen different places back in CA instead of driving half way across the state LOL

Appears to be a single Pho restaurant in Avon IN. Never been there but it's probably way over priced.

There are several Vietnamese/Pho, Indian, and Japanese joints in Indy..

Pho #1 in Beech Grove is amazing and about $6 and up for Pho

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County

Thai restaurants
    Vietnamese
    Japanese
    Indian restaurants

And even the fast food

Tapioca Express
    In -n Out burger
    Jolibee

Bubble Teas near northeast Indy:

http://m.yelp.com/biz/teabuds-brewing-carmel

http://m.yelp.com/biz/taiwan-tea-house-indianapolis

http://m.yelp.com/biz/la-paix-cafe-indianapolis

mayor al

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    Floyd/Harrison Count
    Over my 70 years, I have lived in several regions/states in the USA. of those 31 of those years were in SoCal, and 19 have been here in Indiana. Toss-in some NY, NJ, Mass. and Idaho to give some alternatives, and I can honestly say that I have tried living about everywhere except the Deep South, and we have visited there over the years.

I have little patience with the whining I read here. If Detroit or Chicago or NYC is so great, why aren't you there instead of here in Hoosierland ?? I'll tell you why-- Life is better here than in the expensive, crime-ridden, over-crowded cities that do have some great choices for eating-out, but put life and property in jeapody everyday you live there.
    Enough of the 'counter-whine', with a brief comment. I choose to live in a semi-rural area of Southern Indiana. I am 30 minutes from downtown Louisville, yet I got three deer-legally- last season, sitting on my back deck here in Floyd County. Try doing that in Chicago !! I am a retired teacher. The cost of living here compared to the major urban centers, makes Indiana a real 'nice' place to live.

Now about food choices- Yes the urban areas have a much broader choice range for dining out. I have been a Moderator on the Roadfood.com website for a decade. Lots of folks there use the site for reviewing good (and not so good) restaurants they find as they travel the USA. Here is a link to the Indiana list on that website. Some places have changed (up and down) since their review, but you can see what folks seem to look for when they come to Indiana.

Roadfood.com - Restaurant Search Results

As far as my personal choices-- When we have visitors from 'elsewhere' we may take them to-
    1. Huber's Family Farm Restaurant in Starlite. ON.
    2. Moonlite BBQ in Owensboro, KY
    3. Rocky's Italian Grill, on the River in Jeffersonville
    4. Mike Linings Fish Camp on the L-ville side of the River.
    5. We used to go to Lynn's Paradise Cafe in L-ville, but it closed this past winter.

We do several medically related trips to IUPUI in Indy annually. Those always get a lunch or dinner or both. Since we come in on the South side we thend to stay there for our meal-stops.

Two places are favorites for us.

Shapiro's Deli on Meriden near the Stadium. Not Katz Deli in NYC, but a reasonable choice for those who want to get close to what a Deli should be.

Jonathon Byrd's Cafeteria at exit 99 on I-65. A real 'full-service' cafeteria, big, inexpensive,solid food in a casual but "Non-Buffet' ambience.

AND (Honorable Mention)- St Elmo's Steakhouse, downtown. We've only visited here a couple of times, but the food was outstanding and the ambience makes me go look for a necktie before calling in a reservation !

OK, it is time to stop whining, and add suggestions to all those listed in this thread. Thanks to the Hoosiers who give us BPT and 'Roastin' Ears'!!

Last edited:

merotek

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 8, 2012
    New Albany
    Before I moved here, we came to visit 1 or 2 times a year, and we always had to put Gray Brothers Cafeteria on the list of must eat places while we were here. It is home style Cooking in a cafeteria setting. Some of the best pies you can find in Indy.

555 South Indiana Street
    Mooresville, Indiana 46158

mayor al

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    Floyd/Harrison Count
    I may have missed a couple of pages in this thread....but Have we heard from any of the guys in S E Indiana who have contact with some of the fine fried chicken places along I-74 as you get closer to the Ohio Line?

Aurora, Brookville, can't recall the names of the towns, but I have read of several old hotel restaurants that do a German-style pepper/spicy-fried chicken that has quite a good reputation among the traveling public.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana

At any number of great Viet joints in Indiana.

I like the Pho here near my office at Greenleaf.

Indianapolis and Bloomington have some great Vietnamese joints too.

No, we just spent 20+ pages disproving that.

There ain't no deals at gun shows, er, I mean the food sucks is made by people that don't read INGO.:D

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    I may have missed a couple of pages in this thread....but Have we heard from any of the guys in S E Indiana who have contact with some of the fine fried chicken places along I-74 as you get closer to the Ohio Line?

Aurora, Brookville, can't recall the names of the towns, but I have read of several old hotel restaurants that do a German-style pepper/spicy-fried chicken that has quite a good reputation among the traveling public.

Batesville and Oldenburg are the places you are thinking of. Batesville is right off an I-74 interchange, with Oldenburg just to the north.

Wagner's Village Inn and The Brau Haus are both located in Oldenburg. The Sherman Housem, Pearl St. Pub, and Lil' Charlie's are both located in Batesville. All seem to have good reviews on the various on-line websites.

Lil' Charlie's had one of the best blackened chicken breast I've ever eaten. Wife's burger was great as well. Might try the others in the future.

Never heard of anything in Aurora or Brookville.

bobbittle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    West side

Thai restaurants
    Vietnamese
    Japanese
    Indian restaurants

And even the fast food

Tapioca Express
    In -n Out burger
    Jolibee

The Pho joint in Avon is quite good, and fairly cheap as well.

mayor al

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    Floyd/Harrison Count
    Batesville and Oldenburg are the places you are thinking of. Batesville is right off an I-74 interchange, with Oldenburg just to the north.

Wagner's Village Inn and The Brau Haus are both located in Oldenburg. The Sherman Housem, Pearl St. Pub, and Lil' Charlie's are both located in Batesville. All seem to have good reviews on the various on-line websites.

Lil' Charlie's had one of the best blackened chicken breast I've ever eaten. Wife's burger was great as well. Might try the others in the future.

Never heard of anything in Aurora or Brookville.

AURORA --- BATESVILLE, When I get over in that part of the State, all I can think of is that the Two Biggest CASKET Companies in the USA are located within a few miles of each other in those two towns...:fogey: Somehow I got an image of that mixed with the Fried Chicken places you mentioned. I have read good comments about the Oldenburg places.
    :stretcher:

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County

Thai restaurants
    Vietnamese
    Japanese
    Indian restaurants

And even the fast food

Tapioca Express
    In -n Out burger
    Jolibee

Let's see...there's a pho place in Castleton, right behind the mall, next to Downtown Comics. As for bubble tea, you might have to go to some place and buy the ingredients to make your own. Indiana isn't the Bay Area and never will be. But there are little rays of sunshine. Shoot, I used to live in what is now Little Afghanistan in Fremont. I miss taquerias and real huevos rancheros. And no-one does lunch and dinner better than Tommy's Joynt in the City.

Last edited:

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    At any number of great Viet joints in Indiana.

I like the Pho here near my office at Greenleaf.

Indianapolis and Bloomington have some great Vietnamese joints too.

No, we just spent 20+ pages disproving that.

There ain't no deals at gun shows, er, I mean the food sucks is made by people that don't read INGO.:D

Is that "LLG" place in Broad Ripple that makes the awesome BBQ which you mentioned early in this thread still around?

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Bubble Teas near northeast Indy:

Bubble tea is hideous. I can't imagine what was going through the inventor's mind. "Hey, this smoothie is pretty good, but you know would would make it great? If I watered it down and dumped in a bunch of tapioca!" :puke:

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thai Kitchen in Fishers is a great family owned place for Thai food using fresh ingredients. Their hottest spice level has had me on the crapper in pain numerous times, but I regret nothing.
    You have my attention. Do tell me more.

I've lived in Terre Haute for 20 years and have yet to hit up Gerhardt's Bierstube. I need to remedy that. I also need to hit up Ambrosini's. There's also Rick's Smokehouse for melt in your mouth BBQ pork et al. I've opted not to ever patronize The Saratoga because the owner is such a Liberal partisan that he hosted Hillary Clinton on her swing through the area on the campaign trail, 2008. That and his TV ads were the worst form of insipid trash.

Best "local" cuisine I've found is at the Jade Garden behind Honey Creek Square Mall. If you like thermonuclear food, try the Hot Pepper Chicken with Hot and Sour Soup and an egg roll. Be very ginger with the little spoon in the mustard sauce when you put little dollops on the egg roll. If you over do it, it CAN put you in the hospital. If you're a coward, don't bother to stir the mustard sauce to reincorporate the spice that has settled out to the bottom and just use the comparatively weaker sauce on the top.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom