• ...and so much more!
  • Jeepster48439

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Marion County
    I sent an email to Sheriff Bowen voicing my disappointment of the ISA position and an email to Sheriff Layton point blank asking his position on HB1159. I know what the response is going to be, if I get one. At least I made my disappointment known.

Last edited:

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I'm not a fan of Wikipedia, but here's some info on New Hampshire. It looks like they've been trying to pass Constitutional Carry for several years.

New Hampshire has made several attempts to pass constitutional carry legislation. Bills were introduced in 2011[SUP][52][/SUP][SUP][53][/SUP] and 2012,[SUP][54][/SUP] but failed to pass the legislature. Other bills were introduced in 2015[SUP][55][/SUP] and 2016,[SUP][56][/SUP] and both passed the legislature, but they were later vetoed by Governor Maggie Hassan.

In 2017, NH Senate Bill 12, which proposes several firearms law changes (including removing the requirement of a license to carry), was passed by the New Hampshire Senate in January and the NH House on February 9th.[SUP][57][/SUP] Governor Chris Sununu, who took office in January 2017, expressed support for this bill after the Senate vote, stating, "I am pleased that the State Senate today voted to advance common sense legislation in support of a citizen’s fundamental right to carry a firearm, joining neighboring states throughout the region and across the country."[SUP][58][/SUP] On February 9, 2017 the full New Hampshire House passed SB 12 200-97, sending it to Governor Sununu for his signature.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constitutional_carry

JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    Do politicians not realize how tone-deaf this sort of thing sounds?

My email to Sheriff Myers:

Two questions regarding the ISA statement about proposed "Constitutional Carry" legislation.
    1) The statement you shared seems to have been removed from your Facebook wall. If your page is intended to share information, why the removal of the statement?

2) The ISA has taken the position against 'Constitutional carry' on the basis that it will negatively impact investigations. Before coming to this conclusion, did the ISA seek out any information from any law enforcement agencies of the 13 states that have similar laws? Given that it's a trend that's spreading nationwide, the ISA's concerns seem a bit overstated.

Their response:

Thank you for contacting Sheriff Myers regarding proposed HB 1159. Sheriff Myers does not support this proposed legislation.

My final response:That response is remarkable in both its lack of actual answers to the questions posed and stunning in tone deafness. Kudos, that's the sort of quality condescension you don't often see from your elected officials.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    ►If carrying handguns without a license negatively impacts investigations, what issues have Sheriff had with Hoosiers carrying blackpowder handguns or handguns manufactured before January 1, 1899 which do not require licenses?

►If carrying handguns without a license negatively impacts investigations, what issues have Sheriffs had with Hoosiers carrying long guns which do not require a license?

►If carrying handguns without a license negatively impacts investigations, what issues have Conservation Officers from the IDNR had in investigation game law violations of individuals carrying long guns which do not need a license to be carried? How about IDNR and handguns, any problems with unlicensed individuals with handguns carried to hunt deer?

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Do politicians not realize how tone-deaf this sort of thing sounds?

My email to Sheriff Myers:

Two questions regarding the ISA statement about proposed "Constitutional Carry" legislation.
    1) The statement you shared seems to have been removed from your Facebook wall. If your page is intended to share information, why the removal of the statement?

2) The ISA has taken the position against 'Constitutional carry' on the basis that it will negatively impact investigations. Before coming to this conclusion, did the ISA seek out any information from any law enforcement agencies of the 13 states that have similar laws? Given that it's a trend that's spreading nationwide, the ISA's concerns seem a bit overstated.

Their response:

Thank you for contacting Sheriff Myers regarding proposed HB 1159. Sheriff Myers does not support this proposed legislation.

My final response:That response is remarkable in both its lack of actual answers to the questions posed and stunning in tone deafness. Kudos, that's the sort of quality condescension you don't often see from your elected officials.

I got the same response. I haven't decided if I'm going to reply. It probably won't do any good, especially if I don't live in his county.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    ►If carrying handguns without a license negatively impacts investigations, what issues have Sheriff had with Hoosiers carrying blackpowder handguns or handguns manufactured before January 1, 1899 which do not require licenses?

►If carrying handguns without a license negatively impacts investigations, what issues have Sheriffs had with Hoosiers carrying long guns which do not require a license?

►If carrying handguns without a license negatively impacts investigations, what issues have Conservation Officers from the IDNR had in investigation game law violations of individuals carrying long guns which do not need a license to be carried? How about IDNR and handguns, any problems with unlicensed individuals with handguns carried to hunt deer?

Don't let them fool you. These are red herrings they throw out there but the real issue is money. As Leadeye is oft to say--always follow the money.

JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    Hmm, I got an e-mail back. They claimed not to know what I was talking about as far as the removed post and said they would seek further info from ISA. I sent them a link to the screenshot of the ISA statements that Guy Relford screen-shotted before Myers took it down.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Does anyone have the list of the six who didn't sign it? That's easier than the ones who did.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I just spent 15 minutes on the phone with my county Sheriff (Brett Clark, Hendricks). I will update this post after work. BTW, he opposes HB 1159 and regardless of the results of any summer study will not support Constitutional Carry in Indiana (ever, from what I gathered).

:wallbash:

Okay, I have a few minutes here... First, the conversation went a lot like sidewinder27's post further down thread. So obviously Sheriff Clark has talking points. I laughed out loud about the sacrifice of animals somehow being analogous to Constitutional Carry, though.

I'll pick up at the end of the thread (to bump it) and where I can see sidewinder27's post so I don't miss anything. There's more to add based on what Sheriff Clark had to say.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    I just spent 15 minutes on the phone with my county Sheriff (Brett Clark, Hendricks). I will update this post after work. BTW, he opposes HB 1159 and regardless of the results of any summer study will not support Constitutional Carry in Indiana (ever, from what I gathered).

So...regardless of any data, what other states have done, any of that just "no".?. Well that's the sort of thing that gets an old boy UNelected.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon

So his reply was "My mind is made up, don't confuse me with facts." I believe 2018 is an election year and my memory doesn't need to be good, I have the Internet.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

Out of curiosity, is he a democrat or republican?

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    Does anyone have the list of the six who didn't sign it? That's easier than the ones who did.

Another besides Sheriff Rogers at that supports Constitutional Carry - is Sheriff Mike Shepherd - Hancock County.

I wrote and heard back directly from him.

Glad to say I'll be moving there when our new house is built.

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.

As others asked - R or D for the sheriff ... it does matter to a point. ... or to a rounded nub - there isn't much of a point when it is only 6 of 92.

Summer Study? Who? what? Details ...

Top Bottom