• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • brian.derby

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    I always id myself when approaching anyone while on duty. "Hi, I am Brian with security, how are you doing? Is there anyway I can help you?" Now at this point, if you are a BG, you know I am coming to take you away, or if you are a GG, then you are put at ease and more willing to cooperate.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    You are going to shoot someone...for stealing a pen? You would totally hate to work around nurses...we always seem to come with more pens than we left with!

Spike_351

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Scott County
    Let me see, BG want to fight or run.... GG says sure, what can we do to resolve this issue..... BG gets broken leg or shot.... GG walks away with perhaps a great deal on his next purchase..... Use your imagination.

that seems a little excessive, and like a lawsuite waiting to happen.

brian.derby

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    that seems a little excessive, and like a lawsuite waiting to happen.

Just a possible example... like life, too many possibilities to cite, but it does get a point across. What I am saying is, back to the OP, I would not just walk up to a person suspected of taking somethinng, (in this case,) and body slam them to a wall without FIRST id'ing myself.Proves to de-escalate situations more than just a body slam as was the case here, (providing we are hearing the whole story.)

Lagrange

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Lagrange, IN.
    I doubt any of us can honestly say what we would have done in this situation. We read the story, think about it, then respond.
    There are so many variables involved that none of us knows exactly how we would respond. Life is so different from a television show.

HollidaySlim

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    Central Indiana
    I doubt any of us can honestly say what we would have done in this situation. We read the story, think about it, then respond.
    There are so many variables involved that none of us knows exactly how we would respond. Life is so different from a television show.

On the contrary, if we read the whole story and use only the facts (do not make your own variables) submitted by the OP, I believe you can form a response to how you could / would respond.

If i am grabbed from behind by a person / persons that do not identify themselves I am going to fight back, and will not stop fighting until either I am detained or incapacitated.

seldon14

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    My knowledge only extends fully to one retail establishment and partially to another. For the main one there are several factors.

To make a stop they require
    Selection: You have to see them initially pick up the item.
    Concealment: You have to see them conceal the item (or not lose track of it if they are trying to just walk out with it)
    Maintain contact: They can not lose sight of the suspect
    Last Point of Sale: They have to take the item past the last point of sale.

At this point they can approach and IDENTIFY themselves. They are allowed to "redirect" the suspect, but that is suppose to be the limit of physical contact.

Failure on any of these points can result in discipline or termination. Making a bad stop is a HUGE no no. They can get fired for even having cuffs at work, let alone using them. I've seen one LP get away with with spinning a guy around and into a wall, but this was when the guy charged him after he identified.

At the other place where I was not as familiar with the exact details of LP I did almost get an LP employee fired. I had been on vacation for a couple weeks when they started and they did not know I worked there. I was in shopping with a friend, the LP employee tried to make a stop on us in the back of the store, based on an empty package they found from an area of the store that we hadn't even walked near. She didn't get fired then, but it didn't take her long to.

Now I'm sure different stores handle things differently, but I imagine all the big chains are going to be pretty conservative when it comes to the rule book, because offending legit customers, a lawsuit, or injured employee is going to cost them a lot more than letting even the most expensive products in there store walk out the door.

kiddchaos

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 11, 2011
    Indianapolis
    And all of this has to happen AFTER the person exits the store with whatever goods, right? Otherwise, is it a theft? An example; say I go into Kroger and snag a Dr. Pepper from the little coolers by the checkout. Then, while I'm doing the bulk of my shopping, I drink the Dr. Pepper. Have I done anything illegal up to that point? Now, if I leave without paying for the DP, then I'm in a bind, but until I leave...?

When I worked at Kroger there was a lady that used to come in and eat her dinner that way. She left the cart full of half eaten food. I can't remember if she was ever charged. She might have been banned from the store.

jon5212

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Let me see, BG want to fight or run.... GG says sure, what can we do to resolve this issue..... BG gets broken leg or shot.... GG walks away with perhaps a great deal on his next purchase..... Use your imagination.

It's good you would ID yourself, if you didn't that's a good way for you to be shot and not going home that night.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    Can't remember if my I told this story or not so I'll tell it again:

My wife went to Wal Mart during christmas shopping season one year to get a new computer for my boys. She got the computer and a printer for herself. She went to the U-scan, paid for the stuff, and stacked it in her cart. She was right next to the door when checking out. After she paid, she stuffed the receipt into her purse and walked towards the door. As she was nearing the 'beeper detector' the greeter asked to see her receipt, to which she replied "maybe next time" and kept walking.

:rockwoot:

Our philosophy is to not show or provide a receipt when asked. I paid for my merchandise and my interaction with the company ends there. It is my merchandise. Should they choose to follow me out of the store or detain me in any way, they better darn well be able to prove beyond a reasonable guess that I stole something.

just sayin'

Top Bottom