• Status
    Not open for further replies.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I'm sure you're upset, but not worth calling the DNR. I would expect that they have very strict rules so that when folks that aren't as experienced as you are there, they don't have accidents.

Chalk one up to a lesson learned and go on. :twocents:

rc5699

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Muncie, IN
    My thoughts are Wilbur wright sucks. I've had a bad experience almost every time I've went there. I got sick of the DNR guys or seeing people behave unsafely. Or them take 15 mins to hang a new target. So I paid the money to join a private range. I shoot a lot and I've never seen anyone at the range I shoot at. It makes life pretty sweet.

If I was you I'd find a range pay the money and say bye bye DNR guy.

Field King

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    He was doing his job of being very cautious but I understand many range officers have "Barney Fife syndrom" and get carried away with they're delivery of safety request!

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    I really enjoy going to Roush Lake in Huntington, In. It's a DNR run range. The RO's there are really pretty good about what they are doing. For me, it's the only place I take my kids shooting at, because of how safety conscious they are.

Attitudes can be judge one way by one person and another by someone else. Not judging you one way or the other, but for me I would be glad that he went on the side of safety vs how he appeared to be speaking to me.

If your that upset don't go back.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    369   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I certainly beleive you were being safe. And the CO probably acted arrogantly. However, keep two things in mind:

1) An open public range has to have an over-cautious outlook for safety.

2) think about things from the other guy's POV. You know what you are doing. However, the guy down range only sees someone loading mags, getting ready to shoot.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I guess it's better than going to the range at someplace like, say, Clark state forest and seeing holes blown in the side of the restroom. I wish there was a guy watching that place, and I usually will not shoot there if there are others using it. I'd say let it go, and I agree with a previous post about joining a private club. I've been around firearms my entire life, and have always practiced safe handling, so I wouldn't like it if Barney Fife tried to belittle me either. I don't think loading mags puts anybody at risk really, but if thats the rule, then I woulda followed it.:twocents:

Mudcat

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Warrick county
    I believe those are the rules at the DNR ranges. Check the posted rules or the sign in card, I could be wrong. In fact at a lot of ranges you may not touch anything to do with the guns and stand behind a line as long as someone is down range.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Delivery is everything

Maybe the guy's delivery wasn't as good as you would have liked or maybe he was having a bad day. Maybe you were having a bad day or don't take kindly to being told anything by anybody, I don't know. Just saying. However, when I'm down range, I don't want anybody doing anything with a gun, magazine, or ammo. Last time I was at Atterbury you had to put your gun down, open the action, step back from the firing line, and wait for the range master to check every active position before you could go down range. :yesway: There's no such thing as too safe! I'll take "Barney Fife" over the guy who sits on his can and does nothing every time!

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    if youve shot in the military then you should have already known not to be touching your weapons on the line while it wasnt clear down range. i dont care if someone has been shooting for 30 years, that doesnt mean that they were safe for any of them. just like if im teaching a class i post MY rules, if i have to warn someone of violating my rules twice they are done. some rules like muzzling someone might not get a warning. theres no second chances if you shoot someone. sorry but you were wrong and the DNR was right. im not saying his attitude was right, but what he was saying was. my next statements are not directed towards you personal: imagine what kind of unsafe idiots these guys have to deal with on a daily basis, i cant imagine all of the unsafe stuff they see, so him having a little firmness in his voice is warrented i believe. but daring people to talk back is uncalled for, he had the power to make you leave at anytime so why dare? i wasnt there but, id just chalk this up as a learning experience ...... yes we ALL are still learning, no one knows it all no mater how many certifications you hold, or how many years you have been shooting. with guns one mistake is always 1 too many.

Eprobertson1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    Lawrence - Northeast
    Give the DNR guys a break. If you were out there day after day having to tell people not do things over and over and over, you to would become aggrivated and snippy. These guys are asked to over see the range and ensure that everyone is safe.

If someone is down range and no one is touching anything that has to do with the guns, this ensures that everyone is that much safer.

I have been to Wilbur Wright alot of times and have always had a good time and shared some laughs with the guys from DNR. It's amazing how showing them a little respect and talking to them can brighten their day and yours.

Armed-N-Ready

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    Safety first.

I must agree with the RO. If I am down range I don't want anyone touching firearms, mags or ammo. I know the attitude might have left you with a bad feeling but range safety trumps hurt feelings any day. There are too many gun owners that don't practice gun safety, only takes one idiot (not calling you an idiot) making one stupid mistake and someone gets hurt.

Eprobertson1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    Lawrence - Northeast
    I must agree with the RO. If I am down range I don't want anyone touching firearms, mags or ammo. I know the attitude might have left you with a bad feeling but range safety trumps hurt feelings any day. There are too many gun owners that don't practice gun safety, only takes one idiot (not calling you an idiot) making one stupid mistake and someone gets hurt.

:+1::yesway:

Redemption

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    I don't know about the cop, but Wilbur Wright sucks and has sucked since at least the early nineties. I never saw any LO there back then though.

GhostofWinter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Lake Station-NW Indiana
    if youve shot in the military then you should have already known not to be touching your weapons on the line while it wasnt clear down range. i dont care if someone has been shooting for 30 years, that doesnt mean that they were safe for any of them. just like if im teaching a class i post MY rules, if i have to warn someone of violating my rules twice they are done. some rules like muzzling someone might not get a warning. theres no second chances if you shoot someone. sorry but you were wrong and the DNR was right. im not saying his attitude was right, but what he was saying was. my next statements are not directed towards you personal: imagine what kind of unsafe idiots these guys have to deal with on a daily basis, i cant imagine all of the unsafe stuff they see, so him having a little firmness in his voice is warrented i believe. but daring people to talk back is uncalled for, he had the power to make you leave at anytime so why dare? i wasnt there but, id just chalk this up as a learning experience ...... yes we ALL are still learning, no one knows it all no mater how many certifications you hold, or how many years you have been shooting. with guns one mistake is always 1 too many.

If you would re-read the OP you will see that he was LOADING MAGS while the other person was downrange. I Don't know what safety school you went to but I have NEVER seen or even HEARD of a mag going off and shooting someone. :dunno:

I personally have on many MANY occasions been loading up mags while the red cease fire light has been flashing at Kingsbury which is also a DNR range. I was behind the yellow line for the firing line at the time as well. I have also been to numerous IDPA, and Steel matches where the participants are reloading mags while they are waiting to shoot and others are shooting. I don't think the DNR guy was warranted in his chastisement of the OP in this case.

Greg

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    What class are you teaching and where?

well i was planning on teaching tactical pistol and carbine classes for FREE to interested INGO members, but finding the time to organize this and also find a range to use for free has been a problem.. but i have taught many LEO's and military members going overseas, and also civilians, just to give them more advanced training that what they would normaly have been taught. i just ask people to bring their own ammo and firearms, but i have provided them if they are in tough straits. i dont believe lack of monetary wealth should prevent people from ataining the skills to possibly save their own life or someone elses. im not against people who make money on firearms training (people need to make a living somehow) but as long as i have the time i will always gladly teach for free.

indianajoe

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 24, 2009
    Fishers
    DNR's delivery may have been poor. But my understanding is that when the line is cold, nobody touches anything on the bench... firearms, ammo, mags. Any of it.

Last time I was at Wilbur Wright, I gave the same direction to a couple of guys on the bench next to me (they were handling and loading up magazines while other guys were downrange changing targets). I was polite about it: "Hey fellas. You don't want to be handling anything on the bench until those guys get back up here behind the line." They said thanks, we weren't thinking. I said y'welcome.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom