Not open for further replies.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    You should just get over it and learn to comply with the range officer's instructions. Learning the specific rules of a particular range might prevent any future confrontation. Way too many folks on here don't seem to be able to deal with authority figures.:rolleyes: If you don't feel like you can accept range rule correction, then you shouldn't shoot on a public or private range. When a person is designated as a range safety officer then he/ she alone is in charge. When a rule correction is made, it should be immediate and forceful. I don't see where the range officer did anything wrong.

I have been handling guns for a long time and I have been driving a vehicle for a long time. I am still subject to making mistakes when using either. I need to be called on those mistakes when I stray from the rules.

buzz815

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Shelby cty
    The next time you shoot there kiss and make up. Do not load any mags or touch anything on the shooting bench. The DNR rule is "Do not handle any firearms or touch anything on or near the shooting bench". At Atterbury I say that twice before each cease-fire and it is still the #1 reason I have to address someone. People just will not read the rules or follow directions given on the P. A. system, and I call them on it every time. It is not just new shooters, but a lot of experienced shooters can't seem to read or follow the rules.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    Therefore, why not apply CHRISTIAN values in this case?
    Turn the other cheek. Witness to the new couple about INGO
    and what a great comunnity this is.

Now there is some great advice. Sometimes during the heat of the moment it is easy to forget what the right thing is to do (I have been guilty of this many, many times).

Thank you for the reminder :rockwoot::ingo:

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    There has been some trouble lately with overzealous range officers at WW. It seems to be getting better though. They have some new guys at there that pretty much leave everyone alone. Loading mags is an entirely safe practice. I do it and see it done often at WW. I will look the next time I'm there but I don't recall that even being one of the posted rules.

Ranges have silly, unnecessary rules for liability reasons not for the sake of safety. If some idiot shoots himself or someone else the range officials can say, "We told him to unload his gun, lock the slide back, insert a chamber flag, empty the magazine, scatter the ammo in the bushes and sit on his hands. It's not our fault." Incidentally, some gun owners have been conditioned by familiarity that these rules are actually necessary or beneficial. Even more unfortunate is that those who haven avoided this conditioning are accused with having a problem with authority or being generally unsafe. If it isn't safe, don't do it. If it is safe, go ahead and do it.

If I were the OP I would report the RO for his unprofessional attitude at least. (I'll take your word for it as I wasn't there.) I would also check to see if the not loading mags is a specific, expressed, posted rule at WW. If it is not, report him for that too.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Probobly the same DNR NAZI that follows me around and asks to see my properly filled out range card, I once filled out wrong, and he wanted to chew my butt in front of my kid, I told him to F Off and he said he would call a squirrel cop
    ( Game Warden ) on me for filling the card out wrong (I wrote NCR on it instead of Wilbur Wright) ohh I'm a bad boy. I avoid the Oxygen Theif now, he can't be making much per hour in his green jeans and t shirt. still he makes the range day suck!

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    It's not part of the rules. trust me i know all the rules, they are drilled into me and everyone there loudly every 3-5 minutes.

I've never heard the ROs drill the range rules... not once. Anybody else???

Also, I thought it was against the rules to touch anything on the shooting benches during a cease fire. If it isn't, I may just have to write the DNR to hopefully get that changed!

If anybody goes out there soon, please take a look at the range rules and report back. ( a picture would be nice, that way we could all read them!)

Last edited:

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    It's not part of the rules. trust me i know all the rules, they are drilled into me and everyone there loudly every 3-5 minutes.

Wrong. It is a rule, is printed at the station where the cards are, and he RO will tell you it has been a rule for years.

Mrmonte

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 1, 2009
    Indy South Side
    Why are you so defensive about it? I dont fiddle around with crap on my shooting bench when there are folks down range hanging targets. I dont want to look back when im changing my target and see some stranger messing around with stuff on their bench either. Consider it a common courtesy and move on. :)

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    I can tell you that you won't be the first person to call the DNR on the range officers at Wilbur Wright. I would call and complain if you felt he was wrong and you were in the clear but if you were breaking the rules then maybe not. However, I can see calling to complain about their attitude since I know one in particular is a total jerk and thief. The one I am talking about will take your brass and put it in his truck and try and yell at you if you complain.

elaw555

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    I do not believe the OP's actions are anywhere near the question that needs to be discussed here. Instead we should be asking ourselves why respect has been thrown out of the window when adults deal with each other. Was there a reason, other that to make up for some obvious "shortcomings" that a simple, calm, respectful reminder of the range rule pertaining to touching anything on the shooting bench would not have achieved the same result? I would hope that those of us, and I regretfully must include the RO in question, that have taken the responsibility of carrying a deadly weapon on a daily basis very seriously, act much differently than the RO towards people, and certainly act much differently to those we believe or know are armed. Serious props to the OP for acting like a man and not escalating the situation when confronted by a little boy with a small...mind.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom