• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Not everybody believes in an afterlife (right or wrong- who knows?)

So IMHO calling somebody a coward or selfish because they take themselves out is a bit much IMHO.

Heck, it could be seen as the opposite in some instances (most times probably not).

I do think it incredibly rude, to subject a business and a bunch of strangers to such an event. I hope those affected come to terms with it soon and heal well.

IMHO there are better ways of going about leaving.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    These occurrences suck. But what can you do....If not this way, they would step out in front of a train, jump off something. Bleh.

I seem to remember a major retailer in the Indy area had an incident where someone asked to see a shotgun behind the counter, prompty slammed some shells in it he had lifted from the shelves, and proceeded to blow his head off.

iam1096

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    Ohio
    Sorry to hear about this Brian. Just glad he did not want to take anyone else with him.

Your shop has come along way from when I first meet you. This will not stop you.

Move on like you always have and don't let some A**hole get you down!!!

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    What can you do?

Not much.

But not renting guns might lessen the chance of a mess on your turf.

I wonder if the deceased owned any guns, or if he could legally purchase one? My guess is "no" and that why he made the mess where he did.

Let's hope this is the last one we hear of (at any range).

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    What can you do?

Not much.

But not renting guns might lessen the chance of a mess on your turf.

I wonder if the deceased owned any guns, or if he could legally purchase one? My guess is "no" and that why he made the mess where he did.

Let's hope this is the last one we hear of (at any range).

Or we could just outlaw all guns, then no one could ever die from a gunshot, huh? Get serious dude! You want to limit a law abiding business man because of what one loser does?

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I never suggested the retailer to be at fault.

IMHO a range with rentals is just too convenient for those who would do such a stunt.

More style and effort to test drive a new Vette off a cliff.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Economy sucks.
    Some areas hit harder than others, and with that some areas having a ton of self exits.
    Press and politicians won't talk about it, lest things look bad for their burg.

Worked a range for a while, in such a place. Yup, no rentals. Sure the crazies or upset are easy to spot.

But not everybody driven to self exit is nuts or gives an unsteady appearance.

I doubt gun people compose much of the stats in this new phenomena.

Desperate outsiders the bulk my guess.

I'd like to see some stats.

Last edited:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Rentals are great, it's the renters you gotta watch out for (even non renters- look at what happened at Don's - checked and didn't see where the deceased had rented a gun- appears to have used his own to shoot Mr. Chance.)

Ya just never know.

Last edited:

Davis0023

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    NorthCentral Indiana
    [h=3]I can not condone what they did , nor will I condemn him/her. I was not in their shoes. I do not agree with their actions, but that point is moot.
    However if anyone you know , or you yourself ever find yourself not thinking "correctly" and are tempting to make a permanent decision based on what is probably a temporary problem. Please call a family member and be blunt that you need help, go to a church, a hospital or call one of the numbers below. Get Help!

Indiana Suicide & Crisis Hotlines - When You Feel You Can't Go On... Call a Suicide Hotline. / SuicideHotlines.com - Direction for immediate crisis intervention for the gravely suicidal & treatment for major clinical suicidal depression.[/h]www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org/‎

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255): Suicide hotline, 24/7 free and confidential, nationwide network of crisis centers.

My prayers are with their Family and Friends.

In Memory of
    Sgt. Bruce Johnson,
    IPS PD, EOW 4-16-2012

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I am thankful nobody that mattered got hurt in this incident.
    Very sorry that witnesses had see and clean up such a chicken**** act in the first place. :xmad:

What could possibly have been going through this guys mind? :dunno:

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    I am thankful nobody that mattered got hurt in this incident.
    Very sorry that witnesses had see and clean up such a chicken**** act in the first place. :xmad:

What could possibly have been going through this guys mind? :dunno:

I'm just hoping INGOers have the restraint to not use the last part of your post as the beginning of a joke.

IMPD31323

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    indy

Indiana Suicide & Crisis Hotlines - When You Feel You Can't Go On... Call a Suicide Hotline. / SuicideHotlines.com - Direction for immediate crisis intervention for the gravely suicidal & treatment for major clinical suicidal depression.

www.[B]suicide[/B]preventionlifeline.org/‎

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255): Suicide hotline, 24/7 free and confidential, nationwide network of crisis centers.

My prayers are with their Family and Friends.

In Memory of
    Sgt. Bruce Johnson,
    IPS PD, EOW 4-16-2012

Man reading this stopped me in my tracks. It instantaneously took me back to where I was when I got the page about Jason. If you need help PLEASE seek it! And If you call yourself a friend and think someone needs help please don't hesitate to try to get them the help they need. Miss you Jason. I hope I'm no longer your #4!

In loving memory of
    Patrolman Jason Jordan,
    IMPD, EOW 1-24-2011

djhuckle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 9, 2012
    You wonder why gun store employees are dicks? (from that long ass thread with the similar name) Here's a good reason. Every day you are working around something that can kill you, an innocent bystander or Mr. Suicidally Depressed. IIRC, back in the Galyan's days - some guy came in and asked to look at a gun, took a shell out of his pocket and shot himself right there at the counter. It doesn't have to be at a range. They had the guns all zip tied the next day. I'm sure someone on this board has first hand knowledge of the event.

Can you imagine the stress and trauma of witnessing that or thinking that that could happen at any time? People cope with this stress differently and can manifest itself in many ways including avoidance (the clerks just talked or ignored me), aggression (they were dicks or didn't want to help me) or comedy (joking around inappropriately). These are stress relievers. Every LEO who has been around for a while has his/her stories and they are most likely true but at least LEOs can get counseling if necessary.

Just think about this next time you are in a LGS and you don't think you are getting good service. They are literally putting their life on the line every day they work. I would assume that someone would not go in a gun store to shoot it up and commit suicide, but witnesses and innocent bystanders are unfortunate victims. The thing is, this guy probably seemed 100% fine when going through the check in process. You cannot always tell who has had a psychotic break.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I truly feel bad for the staff and patrons as well as the family of the decease. Truly a sad situation. I can not begin to know what the people there went threw. Hopefully all involved will be ok in time. Best wishes to all and you are in my prayer and thoughts.

Indyvet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    I want to thank everyone here for your support and kind words. What happened was something that no one should ever have to see or deal with. I feel terrible for my employees, the customers that were there, and his family. We have went over everything to see if there was anything we could of done differently and prevented this from happening. I can't come up with anything. He gave no indication of what he was going to do. He acted like any other customer that rents a gun and wants to try it out. He did wait until the range was clear and he was by himself before he did anything. We have cameras everywhere and had a certified range officer on duty at the time. They make regular rounds checking on the range but its the damned if you do damned if you don't thing. Some people get upset when you station a "babysitter" in the range. Our guys go back there frequently and check on the range and are always just a few feet away. Matter of fact, 2 different employees had checked the range just minutes before he did his thing. Do we stop rentals? No. I don't believe that is fair to the customer that wants to try before they buy or just wants to try shooting for the first time. Do we post up the suicide prevention hotline or have flyers on the counter? No because I don't think it will work and might give someone an idea that they may have not thought of. Unfortunately, whatever this guys state of mind was, he had it made up and did not think about or care about the other lives he was affecting. He had never been in the shop before from what we had gathered. No one recognized him and he was not a customer in any of our records. Obviously, if he had made a comment or said something along the lines of hurting himself or others we would of never allowed him to use the range, rent a gun, purchase one, etc. And we have had this happen before and taken care of it. He came in and acted completely normal. I thank everyone again for the thoughts, prayers, and support. The range is reopened today. It was down yesterday and is good as new.

Top Bottom