• ...and so much more!
  • jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Not all public buildings in WI are posted. Most cities "feel the power" of "their au-thor-i-tie" to prohibit law abiding citizen from carrying in public buildings. Waysides are just fine. ;)

Here is what you need to know about WI: New to Open Carrying (OC) In WI, Here's what you should know

A few of government bodies who actually trust the law abiding citizen: Roster of government bodies that allow carry

Thanks while in WI, I only plan on stopping for
    - gas
    - at the private property location I will be at
    - Olive Garden or Crackel Barrel or some other chain food place

I took 90 from 290 to Rockford yesterday, it's still a mess with construction. 45mph speed limit most of the way and it's like a 50 mile stretch. Saw 5 or 6 state troopers doing revenue enhancement, so watch the speed if you go this way.

So 90 from Chicago to Rockford was messed up?
    Or 90 from Rockford to Madison?

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    I drive from south Chicago to Rockford six nights a week. This is the way I go to avoid the construction on 90 between Hoffman Estates and Rockford.

Take 80 west to 294 north to 88 west to 39 north. Once you get in to Rockford 39 north will merge in to 90 west.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    90 is under construction from Chicago (I-290 area) all of the way to Rockford. From Rockford to Madison was no problem. I drove the entire route (I-90) from central Minn to Chicago to Indy yesterday.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I drive from south Chicago to Rockford six nights a week. This is the way I go to avoid the construction on 90 between Hoffman Estates and Rockford.

Take 80 west to 294 north to 88 west to 39 north. Once you get in to Rockford 39 north will merge in to 90 west.

$10 in tolls one way!!!! :xmad:
    If I did 94/90 to downtown to 90 (to rockford) how much time is it going to take me?
    (grant that still has tolls)
    I got all day friday to start the trip.

:faint:

Kagnew

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Columbus
    FWIW, we've found that the best (and quickest) route to the Madison area is to stay on 80 to 355, north on 355 to 88, west on 88 to 39, and 39 north to Rockford (where it merges with 90). It's marginally further - mileage wise - but quicker and a lot less hassle. And if you drive in the Chicagoland area very much at all, you can save a bunch of time and money by getting an I-Pass account and transponder. You sail right through in the "open-road tolling" lanes, and the tolls are 1/2 price.

Last edited:

Kagnew

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Columbus
    $10 in tolls one way!!!! :xmad:
    If I did 94/90 to downtown to 90 (to rockford) how much time is it going to take me?
    (grant that still has tolls)
    I got all day friday to start the trip.

:faint:

I'd rather have root canal work without an anesthetic than to deal with the Damn Ryan!

Kagnew

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Columbus

Good except that 88 angles back to the northeast between 355 and 294. 355 to 80 is shorter. ;)

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I'd rather have root canal work without an anesthetic than to deal with the Damn Ryan!

I hear you, I hear you.
    The only times I take 94/90 to downtown (where I work) is once in a while on a SAT early morning (5AM) or a WED (4AM) so traffic is not an issue at that time.
    My trip is a once in a life time trip. I have no plans of ever going back to Madison, WI. I use to go to WI all the f**** time for work back in the 2000s as well as northern IL. Vowed I would not do that type of driving anymore.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    I took 90 from 290 to Rockford yesterday, it's still a mess with construction. 45mph speed limit most of the way and it's like a 50 mile stretch. Saw 5 or 6 state troopers doing revenue enhancement, so watch the speed if you go this way.

Something else to know about Illinois. While I agree we need to keep our construction workers safe Illinois seems to be more interested in the revdenue enhancement aspect. If there is a construction speed limit posted it is enforced 24/7 it does not matter if there is active work going on or if any workers are present. The ISP also have unmarked vehicles with speed cameras they will set in construction zones. Be carefull, Jim.

swany11

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    If you don't want to get an IPass, I'm pretty sure you can still zoom through the IPass lanes, then you have 7 days to go online and pay the tolls.
    Scary thing is if we forget to take our IPass, and we go online to pay, they already know because they capture the license plate, and tolls were already deducted from our account.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    AAR: Road Trip

Well I'm back in the land of corn! :)

Friday we left from US-30 & US-41 to drive to Madison, WI.
    Did the following route
    - US-41 NORTH to 80/94 WEST
    - Continued on 94 WEST and through Chicago
    - Took US-41 NORTH again by Northbrook (before US-94 becomes a tollway again)
    - Back onto 94 WEST once in WI all the way to Milwaukee
    - Took 894 WEST around Milwaukee and back onto 94 WEST by West Allis
    - 94 WEST all the way into Madison

Start Time: 2:00PM CST
    End Time: 10:45PM CST :faint: & :n00b:

we did not encounter any traffic in IN or IL. It was all smooth sailing past Chicago. The highway had cars but it was not bumper to bumper and eveyrone was moving. We got to the WI border at around 4PM. It was when we got to 894 that it became bumper to bumper, stop and go. It was a mess! Once back on 94 WEST it was smooth sailing again until around exit 267 (watertown, wi). The back driver side tire blew out! :crying:

So we pulled over and started the process of changing the tire out. The van only has a donut tire as a spare. I had never changed a tire before and oh boy what an experience! Doing it the first time on the highway as it's dark is not the place you want to learn. Learned a few things alright.
    Thank goodness for my trustly flashlight! That sucker came in handy. But more importanlty the next time I see someone on the side of the road working on their car I will MOVE over to the other lane. Some of them cars and trucks OMG I could feel them right at my back! So not cool! :noway:

So with the donut on we headed for the nearest exist and to find a tire shop. About 7 miles in NBT was still open. New tire $140. However the lugnut on the rim was no good (it broke). They did not have that part. They called around and o'really ??? had it they brought it over and it was the wrong part. More calls and finally they were able to find one. NBT closes at 8PM it was 9:15PM bt the time we go out of there! They stayed to fix the van and get us back on the road again. :+1: for them! Final cost $190. OUCH! By that is life.

BTW they forgot to give us back our donut. We were going to stop by on Sunday on the way back but they were not open. :( However a call to them this morning and they apologized for that and will be shipping it back to us for free! :yesway::yesway::rockwoot: Heck I was willing to pay for the shipping of it as a new donut is close to $75.

So on Sunday we decieded to try a different route since we can't pick up the donut anymore.
    39 SOUTH to Rockford
    90 EAST (tollroad) all the way to Chicago
    94 EAST through Chicago and back into NWI

There was construction on 90 EAST for 40 miles from Rockford to Chicago but since it was raining and windy like crazy there was no traffic!
    We had the road to ourseleves and we did not encounter traffic until we got to Cook County, IL. It was heavy in parts but always moving.
    Left Madison round 3PM and got home by 6:40PM.

It still feels weird to CC while in the car while in IL, espeically in Chicago!!!!
    CCed the entire weekend and no one ever noticed. :)

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RedMurph
    Top Bottom