IN police shatter car window, extract passenger after alleged seatbelt violation

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Henry

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2014
    Athome
    I can speak only for myself.

While I do not "hate" cops, I do find thugs despicable...regardless of their costume, job, etc. etc.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    HM,

Having had the pleasure of doing my duty, sitting on 5 (count em 5) criminal juries. I have noticed that every time a lawyer (srate or defense) tried to bring up a witness' or defendant's past we were instructed to disregard that portion of testimony.

As for the stop if they had unreasonable suspicion of a drug crime they should have used another pretext beside a seat belt violation since the law specifically precludes escalation to an investigation.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Trials and investigation are two very different things.

What pretext? They pulled them over for a seatbelt violation. What happens from there, who knows? Maybe nothing, maybe something.

Maybe when the driver is fishing for her license, the driver sees baggies of drugs in her purse....naw, that would never happen. Wait...that is what happened the first time. She was pulled over for not having a license plate light, fishing for her license in the purse, the officer saw baggies of what looked like drugs, the dog was called out and alerted, and ultimately, over a pound of cocaine was found.

You don't have to start off looking something to find it; I would wager that a lot of felony arrests start out as traffic violations where someone gets stupid.

Last edited:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Having had the pleasure of doing my duty, sitting on 5 (count em 5) criminal juries. I have noticed that every time a lawyer (srate or defense) tried to bring up a witness' or defendant's past we were instructed to disregard that portion of testimony.

Correct, unless it fall into 412 or 609 exceptions. Five times? Which county? Marion or Lake?

For more on 412 and 609: Indiana Rules of Evidence

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    You don't have to start off looking something to find it; I would wager that a lot of felony arrests start out as traffic violations where someone gets stupid.

You have no idea.:D

INGO: "Really, Kirk, just how stupid does it get?"

Upon telling the police that you have 17 grams of crack cocaine in your underwear because, you know, the cops asked if you had any drugs in the car:

"These aren't my underwear. They are my brother's."

Last edited:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Read a recent version of Indiana Code sec. 9-19-10-3.1(a) then get back to me.

Pffff, statist, always trying to keep the free man down. I reject your reality and substitute the fictional works of L. Neil Smith as my own!

nYnIVNU.png

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Over under on the phrase "Stop resisting!" being used when churchmouse tells us how he knows====> 4

Nah....just saying. I was topped because my son was not wearing his belt. LEO came to his window and gave him a scenario that had him belted up after that. No windows were broken and no one was tased.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Kirk,
    Lake. Just last month I was seated as the second alternate, but, I asked to approach the bench and gave the judge three reasons I didn't believe I shouldn't serve and both attorneys released me. The can't call me for two years.

HM,
    What I meant was that their past history is nothing but prejudicial to this discussion and has no bearing on the present incident.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Lake. Just last month I was seated as the second alternate, but, I asked to approach the bench and gave the judge three reasons I didn't believe I shouldn't serve and both attorneys released me. The can't call me for two years.

Man, 6 criminal trials. They do a bunch of trials up there. You earned your break.

Top Bottom