• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PRasko

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Amish country
    I've seen similar tests where froglube rusts horribly under salt water sprays after three days.

Posting to another forum ok? If it is, I'll post the link later.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    I've felt way too many gummy firearms that were lubed with frog lube to trust the product.

I used to use gunzilla, as a mild cleaner and a lube. As a lube it kind of sucked, would cook off in an AR and splatter. As a cleaner it worked okay. But if you use it like a Rem Oil product, the it's go everywhere, gum up over time, and the rust prevention blew. I had some rust develop on a couple safe queens and the actions gummed up.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    I've felt way too many gummy firearms that were lubed with frog lube to trust the product.

I used to use gunzilla, as a mild cleaner and a lube. As a lube it kind of sucked, would cook off in an AR and splatter. As a cleaner it worked okay. But if you use it like a Rem Oil product, the it's go everywhere, gum up over time, and the rust prevention blew. I had some rust develop on a couple safe queens and the actions gummed up.

Solid +1. Alot of folks have a hard-on for Frog Lube, and after I tried it in guns that I've had run with poor maintenance with other lubes, I'll pass. Gums up, provides little protection after a few rounds, rusted out a Ruger 22/45 that was stored in a drawer in climate controlled environment (and lube was applied per instructions), etc... I get it, Navy Seal run business, etc.... but not for me. 47 rounds in an AR I had before it gummed to failure with magazines, gun and ammo that were a known constant.

I use RemOil as a cleaner: It's mineral spirit content is pretty decent and will clean off carbon fairly well.

Anyone saying that WD40, in any form, is a great gun lube needs their heads examined...

Cursory glance, it appears that he did the slickness test at room temp. Guns don't operate at room temp: They are warm or hot from operation (which is the true test of a lube, preventing migration or run off when hot), or cold from spending a night in the car during winter.

The tests show what lube may be best for a gun just sitting around, not shot or just what "feels good", not a true test of hard use.

Last edited:

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I have used Froglube & it ran well for me. No gumming up in a Colt AR after two days of shooting Wolf ammo (a few hundred rounds). I'll pull it out of the safe tonight and see how the action feels. It was the smoothest feeling bolt I've ever tried after doing the initial application. Zero malfunctions at the range on those couple days + a couple more trips to a local range. Probably ~400 rounds with no cleaning yet.

But... I'm hearing Fireclean is even better. Has anyone here tried this stuff yet? -> FIREClean | Home

bradmedic04

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    NWI
    Is it just me, or does anyone else see thread titles with 'lube' in them and have to resist posting a "that's what she said"?

snowwalker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    In the sticks
    I use EEZOX and it works great for me. I know of a professional in the gun business that only uses two things. Break cleaner and Mobile 1, he also lives in Florida.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I know that many people think the latest is the greatest and Frog Lube is the latest. I use different products for different applications. When I want a lubricant, I use FP-10 (somehow overlooked in the test). When I want a product to oppose oxidation, I've had very good luck with CorrosionX, as well as, Eezox. Kroil is the go to for getting under just about anything. Since it is such a highly viscous product and of such high quality, I have even used it to put a music box back in service. I wouldn't use WD-40 for any precision application and I have used it in the distant past and learned my lesson. The new WD-40 Special may be different, it is certainly one of the "latest". There are sure a lot of good products out there and discussions of lubricants regarding firearms applications have just about started wars on other forums. I've tried a lot of different stuff, and my workbench is full of different solvents and lubricants. I'm not compelled to switch, but I'll keep my options open.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    In the right environments, FrogLube evidently can and will mold...

No more liquid Froglube for my guns... - Glock Talk

There are dozens upon dozens of products.

Many are jacks of all trades.

Use stuff meant for cars if you want...

Use the super duper miracle stuff touted as "the best"

But be sure that if you want lube - you get a lube. And if you need/want corrosion protection, you get that.

Mobil 1 and transmission fluid don't give corrosion resistance...

-J-

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    If Froglube is "gumming" up your guns, you're doing it wrong. I've been using it exclusively (as directed) for over a year. I'd wager I shoot significantly more than the average INGO'r, and I've had ZERO issues with Froglube.

horsehaulin

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 12, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    If Froglube is "gumming" up your guns, you're doing it wrong. I've been using it exclusively (as directed) for over a year. I'd wager I shoot significantly more than the average INGO'r, and I've had ZERO issues with Froglube.
    I may not shoot near as much, but I carry in some of the worst elements known to man. This past winter I worked a heavy duty tow truck and not a single one of my firearms suffered any ill effects. I even shot my M&P40 when it was -10 and it functioned perfectly all 200 rounds, after that I was too cold to continue. Salty snow slush all over me and packed into my holster five times a day for two months. My S&W knife had it worse, rust covered blade after the first two weeks. Wiped it with FL and it's been GTG ever since. No offense to anyone here, but if you are gumming up with FL, you are doing something wrong, and mold? I call BS on that claim. Four of my guns are safe queens due to age and been lubed over a year and no mold to date.

My my carry guns get wiped down once a month, maybe. The safe queens get a wipe down every six months, maybe a year as I typically only remember on New Years. So I have storage time on a few and the are ready to fire any day of the week.

horsehaulin

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 12, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    And FtWayneGunner can attest to me shooting over 500 rounds in my AR without a single issue. And my M&P40 performed flawlessly the same day to the tune of 300 rounds.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    I'll stick with my Tetra, thanks very much.. Appreciate the link.

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]-- [/FONT][FONT=&quot]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]Ruger MK III, M&P & 1911mechanic [FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&quot] –[/FONT] Certified Glock armorer

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    and mold? I call BS on that claim. Four of my guns are safe queens due to age and been lubed over a year and no mold to date.

My my carry guns get wiped down once a month, maybe. The safe queens get a wipe down every six months, maybe a year as I typically only remember on New Years. So I have storage time on a few and the are ready to fire any day of the week.

My understanding is that the first incarnation of Froglube had the possibility of molding if conditions were right for it. The picture going around was absolutely caked with lube (again, not used correctly). Some kind of mold inhibitor has been added to the current incarnation of FL.

moldygun_zps7e042605.jpg

Top Bottom