• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LanceRobbins24

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    South Bend
    Huh? We have a church building and a school building that share a common parking lot, but the buildings are across the parking lot from each other. The school building does not have classes on the weekends. Are you saying that the church building is off limits because of the school building being on the same property? Or does this church ban only apply to pre-schools that are operated INSIDE of the actual church building?

Can you give us a reference to this (law/regulation) because I am really unsure how this might apply to my church? I'd like to read the law.[/quote]

I'm wondering if anyone has found the answer to this situation? I attend a church that runs a school during the week in a separate building and shares the same parking lot. I carry pretty much everywhere I go and have always left my trusty sidekick at the house when heading to church. Since the church operates a school M-F and not on the weekends....is it still considered a school when masses are celebrated on Sat/Sun? I'd like to be able to protect myself and my family in the case of the SHTF, but not at the expense of committing a possible felony. A bit of help here on this one anyone?

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Huh? We have a church building and a school building that share a common parking lot, but the buildings are across the parking lot from each other. The school building does not have classes on the weekends. Are you saying that the church building is off limits because of the school building being on the same property? Or does this church ban only apply to pre-schools that are operated INSIDE of the actual church building?

Can you give us a reference to this (law/regulation) because I am really unsure how this might apply to my church? I'd like to read the law.

I'm wondering if anyone has found the answer to this situation? I attend a church that runs a school during the week in a separate building and shares the same parking lot. I carry pretty much everywhere I go and have always left my trusty sidekick at the house when heading to church. Since the church operates a school M-F and not on the weekends....is it still considered a school when masses are celebrated on Sat/Sun? I'd like to be able to protect myself and my family in the case of the SHTF, but not at the expense of committing a possible felony. A bit of help here on this one anyone?

Unfortunately, the law pretty much defines a school as being a school at all times, including night, weekend, summer, etc.

More correctly, it does not define it as being otherwise when classes are not in session.
    IC 20-33-8-4
    "School purposes"
    Sec. 4. As used in this chapter, "school purposes" refers to the purposes for which a school corporation operates, including the following:
    (1) To promote knowledge and learning generally.
    (2) To maintain an orderly and effective educational system.
    (3) To take any action under the authority granted to school corporations and their governing bodies by IC 20-26-5 or by any other statute.
    As added by P.L.1-2005, SEC.17.

IC 20-33-8-5
    "School property"
    Sec. 5. As used in this chapter, "school property" means the following:
    (1) A building or other structure owned or rented by a school corporation.
    (2) The grounds adjacent to and owned or rented in common with a building or other structure owned or rented by a school corporation.
    As added by P.L.1-2005, SEC.17.

IC 20-26-2-4
    "School corporation"
    Sec. 4. "School corporation" means a local public school corporation established under Indiana law, including a:
    (1) school city;
    (2) school town;
    (3) metropolitan school district;
    (4) consolidated school corporation;
    (5) county school corporation;
    (6) community school corporation; and
    (7) united school corporation.
    The term does not include a school township.

IC 35-47-9-1
    Exemptions from chapter
    Sec. 1. This chapter does not apply to the following:
    (1) A:
    (A) federal;
    (B) state; or
    (C) local;
    law enforcement officer.
    (2) A person who has been employed or authorized by:
    (A) a school; or
    (B) another person who owns or operates property being used by a school for a school function;
    to act as a security guard, perform or participate in a school function, or participate in any other activity authorized by a school.
    (3) A person who:
    (A) may legally possess a firearm; and
    (B) possesses the firearm in a motor vehicle that is being operated by the person to transport another person to or from a school or a school function.
    As added by P.L.140-1994, SEC.11.

IC 35-47-9-2
    Possession of firearms on school property, at school function, or on school bus; felony
    Sec. 2. A person who possesses a firearm:
    (1) in or on school property;
    (2) in or on property that is being used by a school for a school function; or
    (3) on a school bus;
    commits a Class D felony.
    As added by P.L.140-1994, SEC.11.

The easiest solution would be to have your pastor give you written permission to carry at any time while at the church property for any and all lawful purposes.

:twocents:

Blessings,
    Bill

jforrest

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Porter County
    Does anyone go to PNC and know weather you can carry here or not?

Edit: Never mind I finally found it on their website. They say "Possession and/or use of firearms is strictly prohibited on campus property unless authorized by the Campus Police Department"

I guess i need to talk to the Campus Police. hehe

Last edited:

Beau

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Colorado
    Good luck with that. I wonder what they would say. I would be neat to see the look on their faces when posed with your question.

jforrest

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Porter County
    Good luck with that. I wonder what they would say. I would be neat to see the look on their faces when posed with your question.

Yea I can't wait for Wednesday, that's the next time I have classes. But that just gives me tomorrow to prepare answers for all their questions. I'll start a different thread to find out the best way to go about it. sorry I swong it off topic a little.

modelflyer2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Eastern Indiana
    I'm guessing there's no actual law against carrying on university/college property? Unfortunately I do know my school has rules against ANYONE carrying a firearm on university-owned property.

I went to Indiana Wesleyan University for my Bachelor's Degree in an off-campus location in a city away from Marion. We met at a Lee's inn conference room. The first day of class they were going over the do's and don'ts. One of the don't was carrying a firearm during class even in the Lee's Inn location. Technically I could carry it into the Lee's Inn, but I would have to put it back in my car before entering the conference room. I chuckled at the knowledge, because at the time I didn't carry mine, and had even let the license laps (stupid). So that was property not owned by the university, but rented, and still firearms were forbidden. Crazy.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    CCW in Indiana State Parks?

Is it legal to CCW with Indiana LTCH in Indiana state parks? :dunno:Heading to Pokagon tonight for some R&R with my best friend to celebrate 37 yrs of marriage (yes, my best friend is my wife;)). Do not want to violate the law, but since we will be walking the trails I would like to carry for protection. :draw:

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    FYI.

OK, answered my own question. I called the park—imagine that, did some research:rolleyes:

Asia, at the park office, informed me that LTCH is acceptable inthe park as long as the weapon is not "fireable." I asked what that meant; she indicated the weapon must no be loaded, or ready to fire. I asked, "If I remove the mag and put it in a separate pocket from the weapon, is that acceptable?" She replied, "Yes."

Conclusion. Put the mag in the left hand pocket and the Glock in its normal holster. Good thing I have practiced rapid mag replacement.:draw::cool:

AFA1CY

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    In that Field that is Green
    FYI.

OK, answered my own question. I called the park—imagine that, did some research:rolleyes:

Asia, at the park office, informed me that LTCH is acceptable inthe park as long as the weapon is not "fireable." I asked what that meant; she indicated the weapon must no be loaded, or ready to fire. I asked, "If I remove the mag and put it in a separate pocket from the weapon, is that acceptable?" She replied, "Yes."

Conclusion. Put the mag in the left hand pocket and the Glock in its normal holster. Good thing I have practiced rapid mag replacement.:draw::cool:
    I call BS! No such requirement.

FWIW - Don't take legal advise from some state administrative worker, It's almost always wrong.

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    FYI.

I call BS! No such requirement.

FWIW - Don't take legal advise from some state administrative worker, It's almost always wrong.

:bs: That's what I told him, too. The Indiana Code does not say what that lady said had to be done.

But IC 35-47-11 does say that units, as defined in IC 36-1-2-23, "may not regulate in any manner the ownership, possession, sale, transfer, or transportation of firearms". This is referred to as "state preemption", and Indiana has it. A state park is, as its name states, property of the State of Indiana, and as such, only the State can regulate firearms therein.

Caleb

AFA1CY

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    In that Field that is Green
    :bs: That's what I told him, too. The Indiana Code does not say what that lady said had to be done.

But IC 35-47-11 does say that units, as defined in IC 36-1-2-23, "may not regulate in any manner the ownership, possession, sale, transfer, or transportation of firearms". This is referred to as "state preemption", and Indiana has it. A state park is, as its name states, property of the State of Indiana, and as such, only the State can regulate firearms therein.

Caleb
    But, you also have to be aware of Indiana Administrative Code. Through IAC the state can, and does, restrict. Example is The Indiana State Fair. IAC says you can not carry at the fair. Up until a couple of years back IAC forbid carrying in state parks.

Top Bottom