IMPD officer shot, suspect still shooting.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    we have Bearcats.

Ok. How many Bearcats were at the scene?

The news showed none. I know they could have been staged far from the house so just because the news did not show them does not mean they were there, out of sight.

I'm sure Kirk would volunteer to stand outside the house with someone shooting from inside and try to negotiate a surrender

You mean like was just done in Lafayette with the last standoff we had where the guy kicked the Sheriff's deputy butt and stole the car and AR-15? Cop knocks on front door and tells him to put the gun down and come outside?:dunno:

Number of Bearcats=0; Number of MRAPs=0; number of Lafayette Leopards=1, but it was on another block, far away.

I am happy the violence is over. I wish the officer a speedy recovery.

The tanks are silly and wasteful, but that is for the people of Marion County to decide, and I leave it at that.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    come on Kirk, you of all people should know that one anecdotal example does not and can not cover every possible scenario. tools used responsibly and effectively do not equate to 'wasteful toys'.

Oh, and we have two bearcats that I know of.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    58427.jpg

Good job! Now you are going to have everyone too distracted to think about the actual subject, just like the Fogle thread all over again! :):

Like go to the Indiana Department of Corrections.

DOC staff dogpile over 'Correction' correctly being in the singular in 5...4...3...2...1...

He's young enough that his butt can take it.

There's a special place reserved in hell for pukes like this.

Well, whether he is young enough or whether it can take it is irrelevant. It's GOING to take it one way or another. You're absolutely right regarding the hereafter!

Once again IMPD displays a level of professionalism in law enforcement many would claim does not exist. Someone attempted to kill a member of our family and we maintained our composure, went by the book and took the suspect into custody alive and breathing. Lets hope the other segments of the criminal justice system performs its job as well and removes this monster from society permanently.

Exactly. Good personnel, good policies, and good training generate good results.

You are probably correct but many believe that is the only likely outcome, that we would cast the law aside and go for vengeance.

Excellent point. While curing this individual's breathing problem (i.e., that he is in fact breathing) would not have broken any reasonable hearts, it does stop cold the notion that such a situation automatically generates a summary execution mission, and therefore makes a strong impact on IMPD's image with the general public.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN

The news showed none. I know they could have been staged far from the house so just because the news did not show them does not mean they were there, out of sight.

You mean like was just done in Lafayette with the last standoff we had where the guy kicked the Sheriff's deputy butt and stole the car and AR-15? Cop knocks on front door and tells him to put the gun down and come outside?:dunno:

Number of Bearcats=0; Number of MRAPs=0; number of Lafayette Leopards=1, but it was on another block, far away.

The tanks are silly and wasteful, but that is for the people of Marion County to decide, and I leave it at that.

The INGO cops don't tell you how to do your job, how about you give us the same courtesy. And this isn't Lafayette. Perhaps you would like to come do a ride-along and see what it is really like.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia

I truly don't understand the outrage. I've benefited from them on numerous occasions and was glad to not be directly in the line of fire. I could understand it if we were running over people's chicken coops or driving them around I465 to prove some kind of point but we aren't and never have. They've always been used when there was a good reason for them and they allow negotiators to get close enough to do their jobs with some level of real world connection.

I have friends who were sitting in them (armored vehicles, didn't have Bearcats back then) the night Deputy Jason Baker was killed and there were 7.62 round bouncing off of them. I also have friends who were pinned down behind a patrol car when one of the suspects lit it up and killed the engine. Sure, we don't need them, right up until we do.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I truly don't understand the outrage. I've benefited from them on numerous occasions and was glad to not be directly in the line of fire. I could understand it if we were running over people's chicken coops or driving them around I465 to prove some kind of point but we aren't and never have. They've always been used when there was a good reason for them and they allow negotiators to get close enough to do their jobs with some level of real world connection.

I have friends who were sitting in them (armored vehicles, didn't have Bearcats back then) the night Deputy Jason Baker was killed and there were 7.62 round bouncing off of them. I also have friends who were pinned down behind a patrol car when one of the suspects lit it up and killed the engine. Sure, we don't need them right up until we do.

I am going to say that the difference of opinion hinges on a couple of different issues. First and foremost as an honorable man and an honorable officer who does not misuse position or equipment, you are going to see such equipment in the context of how you would use it. Personally, I feel no distress whatsoever in your case and to the extent I am aware, IMPD. On the other hand, as you are aware, there are police of my acquaintance I consider unsuitable to be trusted with bicycles and sharp sticks. So long as this disparity exists, so will the differences in opinion. As for Kirk, he has an understandable burr under his saddle about Tippecanoe county having one that even if acquired from the military on the cheap still requires expensive upkeep in the absence of any viable reason for having it, compounded with the tendency for people to use things if they have them. Incidentally, this is the reason why our founders made it difficult constitutionally to maintain a standing army--because they tend to get used when available. I wish I had a good answer for this, but unfortunately, I don't.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

I have friends who were sitting in them (armored vehicles, didn't have Bearcats back then) the night Deputy Jason Baker was killed and there were 7.62 round bouncing off of them. I also have friends who were pinned down behind a patrol car when one of the suspects lit it up and killed the engine. Sure, we don't need them, right up until we do.

I think its a twofold issue:

1: Cost. From what I understand they are VERY expensive to run and maintain in relation to other vehicles. If they were smaller and cheaper to run (in the same size as a bearcat) I dont think the issue would be as big. Yes, they get them for free, but the military doesnt continue to maintain them for free so that maintenance cost is a big factor for people.
    2: They are the "Scary Black Rifle" of police tools. Its literally a giant armored military vehicle, and people get all butthurt as they use them as "proof" to illustrate the over militarization of the police.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

Lead from the front. Come sit on the scene and protect your client's civil rights while they are still armed and shooting.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    My condolences to the officer. While not life threatening, I'm sure the injury is painful and will result in downtime.
    Congrats to the IMPD for their professionalism.

Armored car talk, well I think is more appropriate for a different thread. Maybe one already existing.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Police records show this isn't the first time police have dealt with Hawkins when it comes to guns. Officers went to the same house in February 2014 on a welfare check, according to a police report. Records show at the time, police detained Hawkins and removed nine guns from his home. Court documents show police filed a motion to keep the guns from Hawkins. That motion was later dismissed.

Mental healthcare in the US is all kinds of broken.

funeralweb

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    Earth/East Central I
    As of bedtime last night, news reports credited the LEO's ballistic vest with stopping the round that might have caused a more tragic ending to this situation. Other LEOs around the country weren't as fortunate in the past few days. Whatever it takes to ensure their safety and prevent a sudden event scheduling at Banker's Life Fieldhouse is OK with this law-abiding taxpayer.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Well the libs would argue that making private gun ownership illegal would help with officer safety................

Bad guys are nasty.

Getting a job that deals with bad guys............that is their choice.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Getting a job that deals with bad guys............that is their choice.

Not sure what your point is.

For Kirk, the video on this report shows a Bearcat. I assumed one or both were rolled out as this is exactly the type of situation for which they were purchased. Could be footage from another event but I'm assuming it isn't. IMPD identifies officer shot on south side | WISH-TV

UTL

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2015
    Central Indiana
    The difference of a few miles, In Morgan County we would of rolled the MRAP and not one whimper would of been heard from the peanut gallery. I do enjoy working with the IMPD guys when I am up there serving warrants or when they make it down here chasing cars. Very Professional considering the trash that they deal with on a daily basis.

Top Bottom