• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Absolutely. The DOC's apparent new liberal parole policy appears to be directly related to fiscal incompetence and institutional laziness.

or corruption and graft by the contractors and those palms they grease to get the laws passed.

OkieGirl

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    iti anunka (In the trees)
    Last edited:

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Since IIRC parolees can't vote, I would agree. It really has to do with the criminal code revision, which moved a ton of people from DOC custody, actually raising the DOCs budget demands because math is hard as regards housing them in county. Plus, despite falling numbers, the DOC has no interest in closing a facility.

This all means that even though far fewer felons go to prison, the DOC has even less interest than before in actually keeping the ones that do.

It is truly the WORST of both worlds. I blame idiots at the DOC that couldn't figure out that the per diem to county was way more than the cost of actually imprisoning them and the legislators who failed to do any sort of due diligence.

Neither can "Illegals", Felons, (for 5 years anyway), or dead people ......

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Curry went with Criminal Recklessness and Serious Violent Felon - Possession of Firearm.

Now, Ratney, 27, is facing charges of unlawful possession of a firearm by a serious violent felon and criminal recklessness. Marion County Prosecutor Terry Curry said the prosecutor's office also could pursue a habitual offender enhancement because of Ratney's past criminal record.

The prosecutor's office won't pursue an attempted murder charge because there isn't any indication that Ratney had the intent to kill the officer or his family, Curry said.

Pretty much what I expected.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    What kind of prison time is he looking at?
    Off the Top of my head, I believe 18 total, 12 on the SVF and 6 on the crim reck. Once again off the top of my head, I believe that they can run consecutively because of the nature of the charges. If the HO is in play, I see zero reason not to pursue it. HO on a level 4 gets you another 6-20 in play last I looked.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Curry went with Criminal Recklessness and Serious Violent Felon - Possession of Firearm.

Pretty much what I expected.

The prosecutor's office won't pursue an attempted murder charge because there isn't any indication that Ratney had the intent to kill the officer or his family, Curry said.

There's that word again. I guess if he did actually put a bullet between the wifes eyes then that would have been icing on the cake?
    People are just ****ing stupid.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    So we can figure that this guy, if found guilty, will be out again in probably what, 6-10 years?

Unless the Feds take an interest in him, probably. It can be tough to interest them in one felon/one gun cases but given the targeting of LEO here they may pick it up.

There's that word again. I guess if he did actually put a bullet between the wifes eyes then that would have been icing on the cake?
    People are just ****ing stupid.

Intent matters, and in a court you've got to be able to prove it. I get people who were shot who get ticked it's not attempted murder fairly often. Proving motive can be tricky. Without divulging things that aren't public yet, I thought they might have a shot at attempt murder on this one due to prior acts and statements, along with items in the vehicle, but apparently the prosecutor thought it was a bridge too far.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    It's a bit distressing to hear that pointing a gun and pulling the trigger does not equal intent.

Sounds like we need to fire some liberal judges up there?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    It's a bit distressing to hear that pointing a gun and pulling the trigger does not equal intent.

Sounds like we need to fire some liberal judges up there?

Judges aren't to blame, it's the way the law is written. If you pull the trigger and kill someone with a ricochet while hunting, should that be murder? There's a sliding scale, and the law accounts for that. A defense attorney is going to argue he meant to scare or harass. It's the prosecutor's burden to prove beyond a reasonable doubt the intent was to kill.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I believe I heard media reports that he previously said he was going to "get" police, or something to that effect.

My opinion is that Curry is undercharging. Sure, a jury might not convict on att. murder but there's probable cause. If there's going to be a jury trial anyway (because that what people do facing an HO), let them have all the facts and sort out where there's reasonable doubt.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Unless the Feds take an interest in him, probably. It can be tough to interest them in one felon/one gun cases but given the targeting of LEO here they may pick it up.

I wish you were right but I doubt it with the current administration running things. Prosecutions for federal gun violations are way down and someone shooting at a police officer won't stir up any concern from the feds under their current "leadership".

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    [h=1]Man accused of shooting at IMPD officer’s home faces criminal charges[/h]I think the word that came to mind when I read this was GOOD!!!!

Top Bottom