• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    We would be completely fine except for milk. With two young ones, we go thru roughly a gallon every othe day. It's something we stop for often, but we buy a couple gallons at a time so it would really depend on what day the event fell on. As of this exact moment in time, we've got 1 full gallon (which would immediatly be rationed), after that the kids would be on a supplement (such as boost/ensure) until we could get to the store. Other than that, we're easily stocked for 5 days (closer to 20 days) worth of living here.
    Gotta ask, why would your kids need a supplement if they couldnt get milk? Milk is not a needed part of a diet for any person. Water and food are though.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    It is 9 :02 PM.

As of right now you have to stay at your place for 5 days due to heavy snows and you have no power. Those that are not home have less than an hour to get home before the roads are closed from blowing and drifting snow.

Is everyone home? What are you missing that you might need in these five days.

Those that are too far away from home, do they have enough gear to stay warm in the car overnight, before they can be rescued?

We aren't missing a damn thing. 5 days? Ha!

And no power? Ha!

Multiple independent power systems and several generators and plenty of fuel.

Food to last until next winter.

Only medical emergencies would be a problem and you can bet we'll be being careful.

Steve

Master
    Rating - 100%
    87   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    5 days, no problem. 30 days.........well we would make it, but it would start to get a mite gamey here. Food, water, lights, games, radios, batteries, guns, ammo, all good to go.

HighStrung

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Pendleton
    Good point and they wouldn't for a five day event. We've got products like that set back in stores in case of alengthier event, the additional vitamins/minerals in those suppliments would be beneficial if everyone was on rationing the whole foods. Much the same as having actual vitamins set back for adults, just thinking of ways to keep my kids healthy as possible during a catastrophy.

Gotta ask, why would your kids need a supplement if they couldnt get milk? Milk is not a needed part of a diet for any person. Water and food are though.

Andre46996

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Hammond
    Brilliant! My truck is a diesel, but wife's van is gas. Got a good source of the metal Jerry Cans?
    Not anymore.....:xmad:

Since everyone adapted Commifornia's stupid gas can law all the old Military Surplus cans are gone and new ones are about 50+ each. I had bought up 10 about 3 years ago, had a buddy sodablast them, Relined the inside and put new seals in them, and a fresh coat of epoxy paint. About 200 wrapped up in all 10, plus the $10 each I found them for.

philo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2010
    Peoples Republic of Bloomington
    I haven't really inventoried, although I know I should. I'm sure 5 days is no problem. After 30 days mealtime would get pretty boring, but still doable. I just wish we had more than the 10-12 oz of milk that's left in our last gallon jug. "Cookies and water" just doesn't have the same ring to it.

Power's no problem we've got plenty of dry firewood and propane for the grill. I do need to invest in a cast iron dutch oven one of these days. My sister gifted me her millenium (Y2K) stockpile of candles - we'll never need to buy another one. Plenty of lanterns, lamps, and oil too.

prowland

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Greenwood
    I have never thought about this but I have plenty of water and food for us and the dogs for at least a month eating normally...probably more like 2 months.

Guns and ammo... I am good as long as there is not a rush of zombies attacking my specific house.

As for heat... I have a gas fireplace and a propane heater with 2 full tanks. I would make it for the 5 days. The house has great insulation on top of that.

I keep plenty of extra batteries and lanterns for light. Not to mention the 10 million tea lights left over from the wedding!

Medication is kept at min 30 day supply. Anything over the counter is more like a year supply.

I have a small generator that powers my saltwater tank in the event of power failure. I have 3 5 gal containers with the 2 cycle in one and the other 2 pure gas.

I would really like to get a whole house generator but not going to do that until we move into the place we plan on staying for a long time.

Now for in a car.... not prepared the least bit.

I have gloves, snow scraper, and jumper cables.

I am working on getting my wife and I set up with kits in each car as we speak! I just started putting together some disaster/bug out kits for the house as well.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    I have never thought about this but I have plenty of water and food for us and the dogs for at least a month eating normally...probably more like 2 months.

Guns and ammo... I am good as long as there is not a rush of zombies attacking my specific house.

As for heat... I have a gas fireplace and a propane heater with 2 full tanks. I would make it for the 5 days. The house has great insulation on top of that.

I keep plenty of extra batteries and lanterns for light. Not to mention the 10 million tea lights left over from the wedding!

Medication is kept at min 30 day supply. Anything over the counter is more like a year supply.

I have a small generator that powers my saltwater tank in the event of power failure. I have 3 5 gal containers with the 2 cycle in one and the other 2 pure gas.

I would really like to get a whole house generator but not going to do that until we move into the place we plan on staying for a long time.

Now for in a car.... not prepared the least bit.

I have gloves, snow scraper, and jumper cables.

I am working on getting my wife and I set up with kits in each car as we speak! I just started putting together some disaster/bug out kits for the house as well.

That's the nice thing about a blizzard SHTF; hard for roving mobs to get around and do much.

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    We had a bad ice storm here a couple of years ago..I was without power for 14 days..I lived on the top of a big hill..the road was impassable for 6 of those days. we made it just fine. I did have to re-evaluate my preps. before the ice storm I had always kept what I thought was 1 month worth of food for 3 people..after a week I realized I actually only had at most 2 weeks worth. a few things I learned.. entertainment is very important,especially for the youngun..board games and books lost their luster very quickly and it only took 2 days for her game boy to loose charge.:rolleyes:
    heating was a big problem for us as all of my heat sources where electric..it got very cold in our house after the first 2-3 days. luckily my MIL lived within walking distance of our house and she had power..my wife and daughter stayed with her after the 3rd night. I realized quickly that I was not prepared for this stuff...I was miserable in that cold ass house by myself for almost 2 weeks.
    another time we lost power for almost 3 weeks due to a wind storm...that one wasnt so bad as I was still able to get out and get what I needed. Im still not as prepared for this stuff as I would like to be but I am better off now that I was able to get a taste of what it would be like to be without power for a good deal of time..

kolob10

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Beautiful Southern Indiana
    Been there, done that a couple times. Been stuck in the house a few times over the last 30 years. I live in Brown county. we came through every event with flying colors.
    -plenty of food - frozen, dried, and caned.
    -plenty of power - solar, gas fired generator, LP fired generator, kerosene & white
    gas lanterns & stoves.
    -plenty of entertainment - games, work & helping others
    -plenty of stored water and a pond plus several types of water filters/treatment.
    -Deisel powered tractor with front loader.
    -Chain saws, power tools, small machine shop with stock.
    -plenty deer and small game for fresh meat. pond with fish.
    -Wood stove with 25 rick wood cut & seasoned.
    -Couple guns with lots of ammo stored.
    In case I'm stuck at work (40 miles away from home). I have a Bug out bag in the truck with all I need to walk home (plenty supplies in bag for just about any
    contingency except for crossing large bodies of water). Remember roads or weather conditions may take several days to get home. I once hiked 14 miles in a day in 8 inches of snow with a pack just to see if I could do it. Up hill/down hill, crossed small streams etc. It was tough but I did it ok.

Actually, I enjoyed those few times we have been cut off from the masses. It was quite refreshing.

We've been through floods, snow storms, ice storm, tornado, straight line winds, and people induced emergencies. All my eight children were taught well. We have farm animals, do our own game proscessing, hunt, fish, and have a good time in general. Boy - do I love family, America, and life in general here in beatiful southern Indiana. Good shooting ladies and gents!

jclark

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    We had a bad ice storm here a couple of years ago..I was without power for 14 days..I lived on the top of a big hill..the road was impassable for 6 of those days. we made it just fine. I did have to re-evaluate my preps. before the ice storm I had always kept what I thought was 1 month worth of food for 3 people..after a week I realized I actually only had at most 2 weeks worth. a few things I learned.. entertainment is very important,especially for the youngun..board games and books lost their luster very quickly and it only took 2 days for her game boy to loose charge.:rolleyes:
    heating was a big problem for us as all of my heat sources where electric..it got very cold in our house after the first 2-3 days. luckily my MIL lived within walking distance of our house and she had power..my wife and daughter stayed with her after the 3rd night. I realized quickly that I was not prepared for this stuff...I was miserable in that cold ass house by myself for almost 2 weeks.
    another time we lost power for almost 3 weeks due to a wind storm...that one wasnt so bad as I was still able to get out and get what I needed. Im still not as prepared for this stuff as I would like to be but I am better off now that I was able to get a taste of what it would be like to be without power for a good deal of time..
    You should have called........you could have stayed with us.
    I was without power for just as long , but have a jenny. I wired the gas furnace to an extension cord so I had heat. We had enough food and water to last, but I could still get out. Having a 4X4 truck helps.

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    You should have called........you could have stayed with us.
    I was without power for just as long , but have a jenny. I wired the gas furnace to an extension cord so I had heat. We had enough food and water to last, but I could still get out. Having a 4X4 truck helps.

I dont think we had met until after that.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    We would be completely fine except for milk. With two young ones, we go thru roughly a gallon every othe day. It's something we stop for often, but we buy a couple gallons at a time so it would really depend on what day the event fell on. As of this exact moment in time, we've got 1 full gallon (which would immediatly be rationed), after that the kids would be on a supplement (such as boost/ensure) until we could get to the store. Other than that, we're easily stocked for 5 days (closer to 20 days) worth of living here.

get some powdered milk :yesway:. i have a toddler too.

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    5 days, no problem. 30 days.........well we would make it, but it would start to get a mite gamey here. Food, water, lights, games, radios, batteries, guns, ammo, all good to go.

This. Id be in pretty good shape for up to 30 days or more if at home. If stuck in car or truck, which doubtful the truck would get stuck. :D I've got enough gear with me to keep warm, plus food, and a extra gun and ammo. I'm pretty sure I could make it the 5 days. Or I can always figure something else out. ;)

Devin22

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    As for as the house we would be in good shape, wood stove with a cord of wood on the deck and another 8-10 cords about 30 yards away in the yard, small gas gen. full and another 10 gallons stored, plenty of bottle water, plenty of food, reg entertainment, firearms and ammo, solar radio, atv's, truck with plow... biggest concern would be other family such as grandfather who is a few miles away.

Top Bottom