• ...and so much more!
  • longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    It is 9 :02 PM.

As of right now you have to stay at your place for 5 days due to heavy snows and you have no power. Those that are not home have less than an hour to get home before the roads are closed from blowing and drifting snow.

Is everyone home? What are you missing that you might need in these five days.

Those that are too far away from home, do they have enough gear to stay warm in the car overnight, before they can be rescued?

Andre46996

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Hammond
    Not a problem.....

If I was in my truck it would have at least 3/4 a tank of gas plus my GHB.

Home..

Good to go except maybe smokes. Only have 2 packs guess I would have to ration them. 20 gals of gas in the garage plus 6 in the genny. House is well insulated. Run the genny for a couple hours in the morning to get house up to temp and take a shower. Make coffee on my gas range in one of 5 different Percolators. Have to use my little buddy to keep the chicken coop from freezing since no electric means no heatlamp or water heater.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Not a problem.....

If I was in my truck it would have at least 3/4 a tank of gas plus my GHB.

Home..

Good to go except maybe smokes. Only have 2 packs guess I would have to ration them. 20 gals of gas in the garage plus 6 in the genny. House is well insulated. Run the genny for a couple hours in the morning to get house up to temp and take a shower. Make coffee on my gas range in one of 5 different Percolators. Have to use my little buddy to keep the chicken coop from freezing since no electric means no heatlamp or water heater.

Quick question for your regarding gas storage for the generator. How are you storing your gas? We purchase a generator this year to go along with our new home, and this weekend I'm going to be getting it all ready to go. Was trying to decide the best and safest way to store the extra gasoline.

MedicMike

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    Henryville, IN
    Great exercise you really just me thinkin as I'm stuck here at work. I'd be unable to leave since I'm workin on Ambulance. However I would be able to go get enough food for me and my partner for the next 5 days.

MedicMike

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    Henryville, IN
    Quick question for your regarding gas storage for the generator. How are you storing your gas? We purchase a generator this year to go along with our new home, and this weekend I'm going to be getting it all ready to go. Was trying to decide the best and safest way to store the extra gasoline.

I store mine full to the top of the container with fuel stablizer in it. What type fuel will your generator be using? That also is something to considerm gas, diesel, or LP?

sparky241

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 18, 2008
    It is 9 :02 PM.

As of right now you have to stay at your place for 5 days due to heavy snows and you have no power. Those that are not home have less than an hour to get home before the roads are closed from blowing and drifting snow.

Is everyone home? What are you missing that you might need in these five days.

Those that are too far away from home, do they have enough gear to stay warm in the car overnight, before they can be rescued?

if i still have power im good. i could survive another 30days before i would have to go outside.

but the dogs will probable get launched into the snow at some point in time.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Dammit, and I just ate the last of the Sicilian bean soup...

We would make it, but I am all out of dish washer detergent. We'd have to do 'em by hand.

LawDog76

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Brownsburg
    Food - Check
    Bottled Water - Check
    Propane - Check
    Kero - Check
    VAST verity of Batteries - Check
    Oil lamps and Oil - Check

Can we upgrade this to a two week emergency where we're completely locked in? Just for personal reason and the greater good of the law abiding citizens.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I'm good, as long as it is just power. Kinda cold (NG fireplace for heat), but food and water are fine for 5 days. If it is really cold (single digits), then I'll not be very happy! The nice thing about snow: you can melt it in buckets for washing, flushing, and the like.

I can run an inverter from my deep-cycle and small solar cell for brief bursts of INGO. :rockwoot:

Seriously, though, I need a generator (looking at NG/propane) and a wood fireplace. With a genset I would have water and heat, and all the comforts of home (just scaled down a bit). We have NEVER lost NG here, so for non-zombie SHTF, it should work fine.

A wood fireplace can run 24/7 for heat (kill the genny to conserve fuel), and is just plain cozy.

We lost power for a few hours in the first little snowstorm this year (some idiot hit a utility pole). That pretty much sealed it for my wife, and both projects are on our 2011 list.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    im ready. all clean blankets. many sweaters, long sleeve shirts, gas, kerosene, oil and lamps/extra wicks.

power or not plenty of food and snacks ready to eat, small fire in fire place will make hot soup. plenty of wood for more then 5 day burn...

WHISKEY=CHECK.
    Think I am ok to good at best. not a perfect prepper, but i got what i have and can do only so much.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I store mine full to the top of the container with fuel stablizer in it. What type fuel will your generator be using? That also is something to considerm gas, diesel, or LP?

Gasoline. My plan right now would be multiple plastic gasoline cans (probably 5 gallon) with Sta-bil added to them. Sounds similar to what you are doing then.

GARANDGUY

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2010
    SOUTHERN INDIANA
    If I were home I would be GTG. In the car GTG as I have my gear that I keep in the car for "emergencies" so I would be ok. I have MREs ,BUG and mags,medical supplies,compass,GPS,water,maps of surrounding areas,emergency blankets, a few changes of clothes,flashlights,etc. Bring it on!

HighStrung

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Pendleton
    We would be completely fine except for milk. With two young ones, we go thru roughly a gallon every othe day. It's something we stop for often, but we buy a couple gallons at a time so it would really depend on what day the event fell on. As of this exact moment in time, we've got 1 full gallon (which would immediatly be rationed), after that the kids would be on a supplement (such as boost/ensure) until we could get to the store. Other than that, we're easily stocked for 5 days (closer to 20 days) worth of living here.

Andre46996

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Hammond

Metal Jerry cans and I rotate it out at least once every two months. Fill my truck then go refill the cans.

Top Bottom