I'm new and your 50-post rule sucks! Please change it for my convenience.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

jtdet01

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 16, 2012
    I have to say that the posting rule does suck. I have enjoyed looking are reading, but basically I am not posting because I there is so much good content.

Maybe I should post questions that have already been answered somewhere on the site.

Maybe i should post random rants.

See, I have been looking throughout this valuable site for some time. Lots of great information

When I find an item that I really want for a good price, I could not contact the seller

When I found his 'website' via facebook, turns out he does not look at facebook.

He lost at least $25 bucks as I watched the price go down.

I wanted to pay his full asking price, couldn't post an "I'll take it" becuase of 50 post rule.

Could not contact him via PM because of 15 post rule.

I actually was trying to read and respond to posts where I could add value.

Now, next time I find another item, I expect to be able to respond.

I think this is ridiculous to circumvent the posting rules, but the alternative is to watch another item lost.

Just for reference, the item that I was interested in was posted weeks ago, I saw it and responded last week, and watched it get sold yesterday.

Last edited by a moderator:

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    I have to say that the posting rule does suck. I have enjoyed looking are reading, but basically I am not posting because I there is so much good content.

Maybe I should post questions that have already been answered somewhere on the site.

Maybe i should post random rants.

See, I have been looking throughout this valuable site for some time. Lots of great information

When I find an item that I really want for a good price, I could not contact the seller

When I found his 'website' via facebook, turns out he does not look at facebook.

He lost at least $25 bucks as I watched the price go down.

I wanted to pay his full asking price, couldn't post an "I'll take it" becuase of 50 post rule.

Could not contact him via PM because of 15 post rule.

I actually was trying to read and respond to posts where I could add value.

Now, next time I find another item, I expect to be able to respond.

I think this is ridiculous to circumvent the posting rules, but the alternative is to watch another item lost.

Just for reference, the item that I was interested in was posted weeks ago, I saw it and responded last week, and watched it get sold yesterday.

You're well on your way. Only 45 to go. Or just take some of that $25 you would have spent and become a site supporter.

What do you like to shoot and why? What's your favorite range and why do you go there? Answer those and you might spark a discussion amongst us and you'll be at 50 before you know it. Just jump in. The water's fine.

Welcome to INGO! We're glad you're here.:rockwoot:

jtdet01

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 16, 2012
    The site supporter is a way to go, and I would not have had a problem with it, had I known about it. Then again, I now feel compelled to join only to circumvent these stupid rules and feel like the rules are 'twisting my arm' to give a 'donation'.
    As stated, as a 'new' user, there is a lot to read and a lot to digest. Why post a bunch of 'stupid' questions that are already answered. I should read a lot. Also, I am not new to gun ownership, just new to Indiana. So, what is the benefit of the number of posts. When I have a legitimate opinion, a knowledgeable comment, then I will post something that is worth posting.
    This posting rule will only push people away. Donations are fine, but should be a positive reason such as to support the site as it has a lot of valuable information, not a negative one like to circumvent a stupid rule.

spasmo

ಠ_ಠ
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Let me help with the 50 post limit question. First and foremost, it's a family friendly forum and then second we have a classifieds section for contributing members. Here it is in more detail.

Where can I find a list of INGO's forum rules?
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo..._forum_tips_-_please_read_before_posting.html

Why do I have to have 50 "quality" posts to be able to send a PM to a member or to post in the Classifieds section of the forum? What is a "quality" post anyway?
    This is really two separate questions, but they frequently get asked together, so it's a little easier to answer them together.

For the first question: the short answer is "to reduce spam." We created this forum to be a community of firearms enthusiasts in the state of Indiana. It is first and foremost a place where like-minded people can get together and chat about a topic that is relevant to them and that they are passionate about - firearms (of all types). We added the Classifieds section as a perk to our contributing members so that individuals could buy, sell or trade items (not necessarily firearms related) within the Indiana firearms community.

We do not intend for the Classifieds section to become another "Craigslist" or "eBay" for guns. We're also not interested in boosting our membership numbers with people who are here to grab a deal out of the Classifieds and then vanish forever (something that happens all too frequently). We require 50 "quality" posts because many of our members do not like to do business, especially in regards to firearms, with people they do not know. Posting in other places in the forums can give members an idea of what kind of person you are (in general). You do not have to necessarily post about firearms. You can spend all of your time posting on the silly threads in the Break Room. The idea is to show us a little bit of your personality. You don't have to give us your life history. A small blood sample will suffice. ;)

As far as "quality" of your posts goes, we just want to see something more than a "one-liner" in response to a thread. In some contexts, a "one-liner" is appropriate. For example, if the topic is "What do you carry?" a response of "G19, 3:00" is entirely acceptable. However, 50 "Thanks for the info!" posts may not be construed positively when you yourself are brand new to the forum and then you subsequently head straight to the Classifieds section. In other words, we would like to see a post that actually contributes to the thread and not something that just takes up space.

You will find that once you get past the initial water-testing phase, INGO actually has a very welcoming community around here. In fact, one of our members created a whole thread giving a proper welcome for our new members: https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/break_room/64636-a_proper_welcome_for_our_newbies.html. Be sure to check it out!

In short, the idea is to encourage you to participate and contribute to making INGO a great site.

Please remember that INGO is a discussion forum with a classifieds section, not a classifieds with a forum. Our members like it that way and we intend to keep it that way.

On a lighter note, read this thread and watch the videos in the OP!
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...2_forgive_if_this_has_been_posted_before.html

Here's another great thread in case you missed in it the book above:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/break_room/64636-a_proper_welcome_for_our_newbies.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQ3I6SDjmsE

Your "50 post rule" is stupid! You're losing out on a sale because you jerks won't let me into your classifieds! You bunch of elitist idiots! (Yes, this is really how the angry PM generally reads)
    Yeah, yeah, yeah. They all say that until they've got their 50 posts and then suddenly the rule makes perfect sense. Look, if you just can't deal with the fact that we aren't interested in trading with you when you're not a member in good standing, then we recommend trying Armslist, Gunbroker, or Hoosiertopics. Clearly INGO isn't for you. Furthermore, you're obviously under the misapprehension that INGO gets a cut of all sales, which just isn't true. We're not a gun shop. Even if it were true, it still wouldn't change the rule.

50 posts?! REALLY?! You've gotta be kidding me. There's a gun I want to buy RIGHT NOW, not in three weeks! That'll take FOREVER! NO ONE talks that much! Certainly not me. I just like to read!
    Recently, Fenway has decided to offer a way around the 50 post requirement, and that is to become a Site Supporter. His feeling is that becoming a supporter will give you a vested interested in helping the site and reduce the likelihood that you will spam the board. See this link for more info:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...5833-ingo_supporter_memberships_are_here.html

When you say we need 50 posts to participate in the Classifieds, what does that mean exactly? I can still buy from people even though I don't have 50 posts yet, right? That's not really participating because you mean I just can't sell in the Classifieds, right?
    There's a reason we chose the word "participate."
    We didn't say you have to have 50 posts to sell in the Classifieds section.
    We didn't say you have to have 50 posts to trade in the Classifieds section.
    We didn't say you have to have 50 posts to buy in the Classifieds section.

You have to have 50 posts to participate in the Classifieds section.

This includes participation by PM. Many INGOers follow the spirit of this rule and won't buy from or sell to you if you have fewer than 50 quality posts and are not a Site Supporter.

How about if I "private message" one of the moderators to contact another member for me to complete a sale before I have 50 posts?
    Seriously? You're going to ask the staff to help you bypass our own rules that we're charged with enforcing? Yeah, that's going to happen. And yes, we get asked to do this often enough that it warranted a FAQ entry.You should go back and read the previous entry because you're clearly not getting the point.

What ARE the Classified Rules, anyway? :dunno:
    I'm glad you asked! You can read all about posting in our classified sections right here:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...assifieds_-_you_must_read_before_posting.html

Do I need to post pictures in my Classified ad?
    No, it's not required. However, it's good business to do so and the other members will invariably ask you for pictures anyway so you might as well. Try to post pictures of the actual item and not a picture grabbed from the manufacturer's website with a caption that says "but it looks just like this!". What IS required, however, is to either post pics or state you have none. You can't have people bumping your thread to ask for pics.

I can't figure out how to post pictures!
    That's not a question, but I'll try to help anyway. The picture uploading feature on INGO is currently disabled to save bandwidth. You must host pictures offsite for the time being. Please see this thread for a handy tutorial on using a couple different free picture hosting sites:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/break_room/12974-posting_pictures_tutorial.html

blamecharles

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    South side of Indian
    The site supporter is a way to go, and I would not have had a problem with it, had I known about it. Then again, I now feel compelled to join only to circumvent these stupid rules and feel like the rules are 'twisting my arm' to give a 'donation'.
    As stated, as a 'new' user, there is a lot to read and a lot to digest. Why post a bunch of 'stupid' questions that are already answered. I should read a lot. Also, I am not new to gun ownership, just new to Indiana. So, what is the benefit of the number of posts. When I have a legitimate opinion, a knowledgeable comment, then I will post something that is worth posting.
    This posting rule will only push people away. Donations are fine, but should be a positive reason such as to support the site as it has a lot of valuable information, not a negative one like to circumvent a stupid rule.

You dont have to post stupid questions that have been answered, nor do you have to have your arm twisted. There are other sites that are a classifieds only. gunbroker, armslist, hoosiertopics to name a few. This is a forum that happens to have a classifieds, to which the owner decided to place limitations to access. Stick around pay the 15 bucks to be a supporter if you have to get access so bad, i have meet a lot of these guys and it is a great forum to be a member of.

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0

Oh well. I gave it a shot.

Seeeeeeeeeya!

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    What happens to someone who pays his first year, doesn't get to 50 posts during that time, and membership expires?

Are they back to being prohibited from the classified ads?

spasmo

ಠ_ಠ
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Post count does not go down when a site supporter donation expires. With that being said, you can still usually (but not for everyone) tell who is here specifically for the classifieds.. after being a member for 3 years and still having 50 posts, you might want to check their posting history and their good, bad & ugly feedback as well as itrader feedback. You also need to remember that a lot of people really are just readers and contribute financially because they don't like to chat.

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    Post count does not go down when a site supporter donation expires. With that being said, you can still usually (but not for everyone) tell who is here specifically for the classifieds.. after being a member for 3 years and still having 50 posts, you might want to check their posting history and their good, bad & ugly feedback as well as itrader feedback. You also need to remember that a lot of people really are just readers and contribute financially because they don't like to chat.

I thought that I would ask, but perhaps I just should ask a yes or no question, so here it is:

If a person is a site supporter, allows their site supporter to expire, are they still permitted to post in the classified ads if they still don't have 50 quality posts?

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    I thought that I would ask, but perhaps I just should ask a yes or no question, so here it is:

If a person is a site supporter, allows their site supporter to expire, are they still permitted to post in the classified ads if they still don't have 50 quality posts?
    She answered your question. YES.

The "usually" was saying that if you choose not to do business with someone that didn't "earn" but rather bought their 50 posts and then didn't feel the need to contribute, you can usually tell who they are.

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    She answered your question. YES.

The "usually" was saying that if you choose not to do business with someone that didn't "earn" but rather bought their 50 posts and then didn't feel the need to contribute, you can usually tell who they are.

Still can't see it, but thank your for interpreting, grasshopper.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom