• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    My range-only guns don't always get cleaned after shooting them. Rarely immediately after.

But I DO find it rather cathartic to sit and clean 'em in my "man room", with the garage door open and the radio on.

My carry gun WILL GET CLEANED before I carry it again.

Chances are good that it'd be fine dirty, but why should I take that chance? If I can lessen the chances of fouling-induced failure, I'm going to. Especially when it might be my life, or my wife's, on the line.

Failure / stoppages do happen on clean weapons too, and I understand that.

But by removing, or greatly reducing, "dirt" as a variable, I'm doing myself a big favor. Making sure that the frame and slide rails are clear, feed ramp is clean, mag is clean, and that the striker channel is gunk-free = peace of mind.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    I love the smell of Hoppes #9....

My dad got me in the habit of thoroughly cleaning after every shooting session. We would get home, he would get out all of the cleaning supplies, and we would strip and clean everything we shot. By the time I was 6, I could field strip a 1911!

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    Kind of a father/son bonding thing here as well, we always clean after we shoot, and I love cleaning guns, the only exception being that back portion on a Ruger MKII that never wants to go in right. Whenever we go shooting dad's always saying "if you're shooting that thing, you're putting it back together..." Heh.

salamander42

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    Indianapolis
    When I first started shooting a couple of years ago I would clean whatever I shot as soon as I got home from the range. That's gradually been changing tho, and now it's about every 3rd or 4th trip to the range. When my Mark III starts having FTEs, I know it's time, and I go ahead and clean my 1911 too, while I've got all of the cleaning supplies out. Unfortunately, I've only got those 2 to worry about. Hope to add some more sometime soon.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    I know a guy who just disassembles down to the bare bones and runs his guns through a parts washer...he even has little mesh bags to separate the different parts for various pistols so he can do them all at once after a day at the range. I wish I had the room for a parts washer lol

I got a buddy that picked up an old ss hobart dish washer at auction. Keeps it out in the yard to wash parts in, probably a good candidate for a superfund site. It gets the job done though. If you never need an obscure replacement part, he has it!

chef larry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    Hobart,In
    I found the best way for me to keep the guns clean is a bore snake, M-Pro 7 gun cleaner(it doesn't smell), and a quick oiled patch through the barrel followed by a wipe with a silicone gun cloth. Yes a lazy way to keep it clean.

Top Bottom