• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JUMBO

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I know a guy who just disassembles down to the bare bones and runs his guns through a parts washer...he even has little mesh bags to separate the different parts for various pistols so he can do them all at once after a day at the range. I wish I had the room for a parts washer lol

jgulyas

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    columbia city, IN
    I have a rifle and a pistol on my bench waiting to be cleaned. I hate cleaning guns but I feel guilty when I don't. It is a good feeling when all the guns are clean but I never let that stop me from getting them dirty again.

IndianaSlim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    I'm going to be honest, this is the first time in about 2 years that I've had any glock I own apart. Usually I spit on them, call them a whore, and put em away. My 1911s I'm a little more particular with but not a whole lot.

On a side note, I broke already. Way too nice of a day to not make SOMETHING go bang!!

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    Call me :nuts: but I actually enjoy cleaning my guns after shooting. To me it is all part of the bonding process, the smell of Hoppes 9 and the shine of the metal put a smile on my face. It actually bugs me to put a dirty gun in the safe so I very rarely do it. I am the same way with cars, gotta keep my toys clean, shiny and ready to rock.

I love the smell of Hoppes #9.... And black powder, lol.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I admit I don't always clean every gun after every trip to the range. I do try to keep them somewhat clean and lubed. Right now everything is clean except for my deer rifle and a 10/22. Even the Glock on my hip has not been shot since it had a patch down the bore.

IndianaSlim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    :ar15:
    Wow that was faster than I thought.:)::)::):

I thought of it like this. The G22 I carry daily hasn't been cleaned in a looooooong time right? And it went bang every time before I cleaned it right? How do I know that it will still go bang after I cleaned it? EXACTLY MY POINT!!! Ran a couple hundred through it quick in the back yard and it made me feel much better about the whole situation.

Muddy_Ford

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    Hartford City
    I thought of it like this. The G22 I carry daily hasn't been cleaned in a looooooong time right? And it went bang every time before I cleaned it right? How do I know that it will still go bang after I cleaned it? EXACTLY MY POINT!!! Ran a couple hundred through it quick in the back yard and it made me feel much better about the whole situation.

Good point there. You need to make sure it still goes :shoot: after having it in pieces. :yesway: Glad you're feeling better knowing that it does indeed still work though. :D

And now tomorrow I will have to satisfy my curiosity at the range since your thread made me clean my edc since I had not done it in a while.:biggun::ar15:
    :shoot:

Tomorrow is going to be a Great Day!:D:D:D

Last edited:

bambek

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Henry Co.
    I must admit I don't clean EVERY time they get shot, but, the wife and I do find that this is something we like to do together so, that cuts way down on time. The wife seems to enjoy it more than I do. Must be the woman/cleaning gene.

oldfb

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Valpo
    Give just can't stand the headache from the fumes but I am fairly obsessive about making sure they get wiped down and not all gummed up with dog hair, pocket lint or other similar.

I can't stand the drippy and snotty need a washcloth after touching them state some leave their guns.

Aerosol gunscrub some brushes and a soft shop rag with a lightly oiled patch down the barrel is fine unless they are really gummy.

I've been looking at the ultrasonic cleaner at harbor freight trying to see the difference between that and the ones at midway for 3x the price.

Any thoughts on those vs the gun marketed cleaners?

Last edited:

HUFFMANWG

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    VA.
    A CLEAN GUN IS A RELIABLE GUN, BUT THEY ALSO GIVE ME PEACE OF MINE. IT ALSO KEEPS ME OUT IN THE SHED AWAY FROM THE BETTER HALF WHO'S ALWAYS LOOKING FOR SOMETHING FOR ME TO DO

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Call me :nuts: but I actually enjoy cleaning my guns after shooting. To me it is all part of the bonding process, the smell of Hoppes 9 and the shine of the metal put a smile on my face. It actually bugs me to put a dirty gun in the safe so I very rarely do it. I am the same way with cars, gotta keep my toys clean, shiny and ready to rock.

:+1:

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    After a day at the range...we usually head back to my place where the wife and her GF's cook and I eat (while cleaning their guns.) It's a trade-off...sort of like the 'will work for food' deal...and it lets me watch football in the fall w/o any excuses ("Hey, I'm working here!" :ar15:) :D

JLawsonTXRH

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    Agreed. I love cleaning my guns and the smell of Hoppes.

A dirty gun will never find its way into my safe.

AccuRat

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    Just north of nowhere...
    I used to completely and religiously clean each of my guns after every range session. That was way back when I only had 3. Now, I have to actually make myself an appointment to get all my rifles/pistols clean.

BC9

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 31, 2010
    Fishers
    "I can't stand the drippy and snotty need a rawhide after touching state some favor."

Can somebody, anybody, tell me what that means? :scratch::scratch: I'm new to guns & am unfamiliar with some of the lingo. Or is it nonsense to everybody else, too?

oldfb

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Valpo
    "I can't stand the drippy and snotty need a rawhide after touching state some favor."

Can somebody, anybody, tell me what that means? :scratch::scratch: I'm new to guns & am unfamiliar with some of the lingo. Or is it nonsense to everybody else, too?

Ahhh. Bite me.lol. learn how to read autistic editing from a smart phone.

I'm on heavy pain meds ya either get my goofy babble and like my posts or do like the rest and put me on ignore. Now let me go back and try to explain.

Some gunowners shoot some oil on their guns cover it with a rag and wave the cleaning (magic wand) rod over it and call it done.

Fine for function but ya need a bath after handling their guns because they coat you with snot and grime.

Ok

BC9

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 31, 2010
    Fishers
    Ahhh. Bite me.lol. learn how to read autistic editing from a smart phone.

I'm on heavy pain meds ya either get my goofy babble and like my posts or do like the rest and put me on ignore. Now let me go back and try to explain.

Some gunowners shoot some oil on their guns cover it with a rag and wave the cleaning (magic wand) rod over it and call it done.

Fine for function but ya need a bath after handling their guns because they coat you with snot and grime.

Ok

oldfb, thanx for helping me "get it." Hope I didn't offend - never meant to. :wallbash:

Top Bottom