• ...and so much more!
  • ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    ...I equate stuff like this to someone that does martial arts and learns technicques then puts them all together in a routine or "kata". Sure all that stuff looks good and impressive in a dojo setting or an exhibition but most of it is'nt very practical or useful in a real life self defense situation...

Most Grammaton Clerics would disagree. ;)

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Far above my pay grade. When that stuff is necessary, I will be dug in somewhere on the hillside watching the professionals take care of business.

Mike Elzinga

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NWI
    Interesting thread.

I dont ever see myself taking a class where someone else fires from behind me. I highly doubt that they have enough call for that type of class to justify its place on a class roster.

I am glad to see the drills using off balance and awkward positions, but I think the benefit is negated by the fact that is seems clear they have done them over and over to do them quickly, that they have them refined to choreographed dance moves and are doing the very thing the drills are intended to stop. The drill is supposed to make you aware, such as a "threat scan" but instead they just whip their heads back and forth without really seeing anything. They practice alternate positions but flip in and out of them in a fashion only useful in the environment they are practicing in.

To answer a previous question, lots of Military and LE organizations use private sector instructors, who may or may not have any military or LE backgrounds. Jerry Barnhart, Todd Jarrett, all the AMU Pistol guys, etc....

I was suprised to see the immediate and speedy return to the Low Ready position after each drill, almost a race to get back to it. Jerry Barnhart has been teaching people to stay "in the pocket" for years and that is the first change that new practical shooters make to pick up lots of speed with increased accuracy.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    It doesn't matter whether you're LE, military, or civilian....there is NO SUCH THING as TOO much training. Having skills such as these could save your life should you ever need them. Granted I was military, but we trained in close quarters and shooting past each other all the time.

My friend and I still do run through drills similar to these and then some. It's exciting feeling the percussion of a round passing by you and moving your clothes.

I did have a few different issues with the video though. One being that yes it does look choreographed and I question their accuracy. For us, we train like this but consider yourself failed if you're not hitting kill shots even from the hip.

Another thing that stood out to me, was when they guy was backing up and transitioned from the rifle to pistol. It happens but when you train for it at a planned moment it is going to limit your reactiveness in real situation.

When we train for transition, we go through a series of targets but have the other person give us a mag with UNKNOWN number of rounds so that while OM it will run dry, but the shooter doesn't know when and must transition to sidearm at any given point.

But we definitely don't worry about babying our weapons and hanging on to them like this guy did, it gets ditched (hopefully you're using a sling so you don't have to back track to pick it up). You don't want dead weight of a jammed or empty rifle hindering you ability to effectively drop an immediate threat in front of you.

I noticed a couple other issues in the video, but I've got to go and after all...it's an advertisement.

Taylorz71

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    Central IN
    WOW - That would require so much trust for the people you are training with plus yourself. It looks really fun, and I would love to have that kind of training. I would have to do several classed first without people shooting behind me though....I agree there is nothing better than training with our firearms. Fun post thanks.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Somewhere in the middle there, I didn't know if I was watching a "training video" or the ending to Mr. & Mrs. Smith...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIxGhLILsNs[/ame]

skyman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Not a thing.Refering to Shay's two videos.Looks like he may have thought the first was a joke.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    It doesn't matter whether you're LE, military, or civilian....there is NO SUCH THING as TOO much training. Having skills such as these could save your life should you ever need them. Granted I was military, but we trained in close quarters and shooting past each other all the time.

My friend and I still do run through drills similar to these and then some. It's exciting feeling the percussion of a round passing by you and moving your clothes.

I did have a few different issues with the video though. One being that yes it does look choreographed and I question their accuracy. For us, we train like this but consider yourself failed if you're not hitting kill shots even from the hip.

Another thing that stood out to me, was when they guy was backing up and transitioned from the rifle to pistol. It happens but when you train for it at a planned moment it is going to limit your reactiveness in real situation.

When we train for transition, we go through a series of targets but have the other person give us a mag with UNKNOWN number of rounds so that while OM it will run dry, but the shooter doesn't know when and must transition to sidearm at any given point.

But we definitely don't worry about babying our weapons and hanging on to them like this guy did, it gets ditched (hopefully you're using a sling so you don't have to back track to pick it up). You don't want dead weight of a jammed or empty rifle hindering you ability to effectively drop an immediate threat in front of you.

I noticed a couple other issues in the video, but I've got to go and after all...it's an advertisement.
    I'm all for training to whatever extent that anyone feels the need to take it. Speaking for myself I take more of an meat and potatos kind of approach. I'm willing to learn something new but i'd prefer it to be something that I can incorporate that is practical for me to use in a high stress type real life situation where the targets are'nt made of paper and have weapons that will shoot back. I guess i'm not looking for someone in a training envirornment to come at me with the newest,hippest, tackticool spin-a-roonie type moves and I don't particularly get excited or care to have the "feeling of the percussion of a round passing by me and moving my clothing" whichever direction it might be comming from. I'm sorry but I just don't go for all the theatrics.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom