• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    CENTRAL
    I'll admit it. I'm guilty. I'm guilty of getting too relaxed when I am at home.

I keep the outside lights on. But, I am guilty of not having a firearm close by. Sometimes it's in the other room, other times it's on the table 6-7 steps behind me.

I know I should try to attempt to keep it on my person. But, it's hard. I just like to relax at home, wear comfy clothes at night.

I'm sure I'm not the only one guilty of this?
    I'm more relaxed with a firearm around me in the home than if I didn't have one nearby. Having someone break into your house while you're in the shower really helps you not forget to have one around at all times.

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    You guys talk about comfy clothes. I get dressed in the morning and stay that way till I get ready for bed.

If your clothes are not comfy, why wear them? Unless, you're wearing a suit. :scratch:

My boots are always on and ready to move at a moments notice. Very rarely, I'm I not dressed and ready to walk out the door if need be.

Heeeeecccccckkkkk NO! I wear jeans and a polo to work, when I get home (at 3:30 ish) off they go and into gym shorts and sweat pants I go. The idea of always having boots on ready to go sounds awful. I prefer nice comfy socks while lounging around the house.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I have my EDC rig on and full to and from work. Same if I am having company over.

Other times I leave it in the den. I have stashed firearms throughout the place. Kids are old enough now and we don't point them out to everyone who comes over.

This works for me so I can chill in a pair of shorts and a tank top.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Everyone's situation is different, so I won't judge.
    I am guilty of not having one on me 24/7, specifically like now while in sweatpants.
    In my case, the two dogs bark at the sound of a squirrel farting 100 yards away... that helps a little.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I have a small child in the house so my firearm is secured. I'm confident enough in my self defense capabilities that my first instinct isn't grab the gun in a stranger at the door or weird noise outside scenario(My main reason for having one is to protect my family if there's an escalation of force where a firearm is brought into the scenario).Although I've made it a point that my family knows where the gun is and how to operate it. Now if there is an intruder inside my house and my child is out of immediate harms way it's a whole different story, but making sure she is safe is priority number one and then addressing the threat with force is secondary.

Three questions:

1. If a firearm is brought into the scenario, what do you intend to do about it if your firearm is secured?
    2. Do you view being threatened with a firearm as the only reason for using a firearm for defense? If so, how do you intend to address such a threat if your firearm is secured?
    3. How do you make sure your daughter is safe if you consider dealing with a threat a secondary priority?

X piller X

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2014
    Indy
    My nightly routine since I started carrying was to come home, drop mag, empty chamber and put on the desk. I have a younger sibbling in the house (18). She knows enough about guns that i doubt she would mess with it or pull the trigger. But accidents could happen That is why i keep the chamber empty when im home in case someone gets a little curious.

With that said, I am a light sleeper, and on the second floor looking out above the driveway. If someone were to attempt to break in, my yappie dogs would alert me and it is close-by

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    Three questions:

1. If a firearm is brought into the scenario, what do you intend to do about it if your firearm is secured?
    2. Do you view being threatened with a firearm as the only reason for using a firearm for defense? If so, how do you intend to address such a threat if your firearm is secured?
    3. How do you make sure your daughter is safe if you consider dealing with a threat a secondary priority?

I know this flys in th face of INGO, but the one stat the gun grabbers have on their side is that a gun is more likely to be used in an accidental shooting than in a home defense case. My pistols are in a downstairs digi safe, long guns upstairs in a big safe.

It is much more likely that my 2 year old would discover my hidden guns than a masked man flying through my back door. Unless the gun is on you, I agree that it needs to be in a safe if you have children in the house.

"ps - please save the macho lecture of my dad told us not to and we never blah blah blah....plenty of people don't wear seatbelts and live full lives, doesn't mean it's a good idea"

YoungMilsurpGuy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    Crown Point
    In my room, I keep my Ak with an empty mag in it, so it can still be intimidating, and a loaded magazine with blue tape on it in my dresser drawer loaded up with 8m3 hollowpoints. I like to code my magazines with tape and their kind of construction, polymer magazines with blue tape are self defense mags("hot mags" with hollowpoints that stay in the dresser or another strategic location. I have several polymer mags loaded with FMJs for the range I keep loaded in a magazine holster in a drawer under my bed, and I keep a metal magazine in my rifle at all times empty, unless Im shooting at the range, then I check if its empty, put it in the rifle, clear it, and put it back into the car. That way I know the condition of my rifle and what is in my magazines by simply looking and feeling them.

I sometimes also keep a pistol in the holster on my nightstand with a loaded magazine with an empty case painted red or a snap cap in the chamber, which I only clear if theres a threat or im at the range.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I know this flys in th face of INGO, but the one stat the gun grabbers have on their side is that a gun is more likely to be used in an accidental shooting than in a home defense case. My pistols are in a downstairs digi safe, long guns upstairs in a big safe.

You'll have to provide a citation for that, more for your own edification than mine. I already know it's false and the numbers are not even close.

It is much more likely that my 2 year old would discover my hidden guns than a masked man flying through my back door. Unless the gun is on you, I agree that it needs to be in a safe if you have children in the house.

That's entirely possible and one of the main reasons I urge people to carry on their person to prevent unauthorized access. In the context of the message to which I replied, "secured" seemed to suggest locked in a vault/safe, not secured on one's person (which is preferred).

"ps - please save the macho lecture of my dad told us not to and we never blah blah blah....plenty of people don't wear seatbelts and live full lives, doesn't mean it's a good idea"

I have no idea what that means.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    In my room, I keep my Ak with an empty mag in it, so it can still be intimidating, and a loaded magazine with blue tape on it in my dresser drawer loaded up with 8m3 hollowpoints. I like to code my magazines with tape and their kind of construction, polymer magazines with blue tape are self defense mags("hot mags" with hollowpoints that stay in the dresser or another strategic location. I have several polymer mags loaded with FMJs for the range I keep loaded in a magazine holster in a drawer under my bed, and I keep a metal magazine in my rifle at all times empty, unless Im shooting at the range, then I check if its empty, put it in the rifle, clear it, and put it back into the car. That way I know the condition of my rifle and what is in my magazines by simply looking and feeling them.

I sometimes also keep a pistol in the holster on my nightstand with a loaded magazine with an empty case painted red or a snap cap in the chamber, which I only clear if theres a threat or im at the range.

Good lord... Do you have a decoder ring for when the adrenaline is pumping?

K.I.S.S.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    CENTRAL
    I'm more relaxed with a firearm around me in the home than if I didn't have one nearby. Having someone break into your house while you're in the shower really helps you not forget to have one around at all times.
    I should clarify that when I say "around" I mean on my person. The only time my edc is not on me or in a safe while at home is when I'm in the shower or sleeping. I have no children in the house so your situation may be different.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    This is me

Dogs + neighborhood, pretty safe. A fly farts within a quarter mile of the house and I gotta hear about it, so if an unknown person approached the house, I'm confident I'd have time to go grab one.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    This is me

Dogs + neighborhood, pretty safe. A fly farts within a quarter mile of the house and I gotta hear about it, so if an unknown person approached the house, I'm confident I'd have time to go grab one.

Wait... you have to go grab a your gun every time a fly farts?? You need to calibrate your alert system.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    You'll have to provide a citation for that, more for your own edification than mine. I already know it's false and the numbers are not even close.

From my own experiences, I'd say that its not false. The real numbers depend on what we're comparing and a lot of those wouldn't be stopped by securing guns in a safe when not in use. There are absolutely more accidental shootings than home defense shootings each year in Marion Co, though, no matter how you count them. The majority of these are self inflicted and done while jacking around with the gun. Apparently there's a segment of Glock owners who feel the need to point their gun at their feet or hands while pulling the trigger to break it down for cleaning. Keeping them in a safe doesn't affect those numbers, though. (Before anyone asks, I suspect people shoot themselves with Glocks more often just because there are more Glocks out there, but the needing to pull the trigger to clean it certainly doesn't help.)

As far as accidentally shooting someone that didn't need shooting (spouse, sibling, child) vs home invaders...I still have to give the edge to accidents, at least in Marion Co, but the numbers become a lot closer. We had at least 2 children shoot themselves with found guns in 2013, one fatally. We had at least 2 children shoot another child with a found gun in 2013. We had a guy shoot his wife who came home early from vacation. Etc. etc. How many home invaders were shot in Marion Co last year? Far fewer than accidental or bad shoots.

That doesn't mean all guns must be kept in a safe, I certainly don't, but it does show how many careless, drunk, distracted, and/or inattentive gun owners we have.

BigRed3588

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 4, 2013
    Boynton Beach
    The only time I don't have a gun within a couple feet of me is when I'm at work, because I work in a correctional facility and can't have one on my person or in my vehicle. When i'm lounging around on the couch it sets right next to me, and when I shower, I keep the door locked with the gun on a sink within arms reach. When I'm sleeping, I keep one on each side so it's readily available regardless of which side of my body i'm sleeping on.

Should probably also note that I don't have any kids, and live alone in a one bedroom apartment; so I can do these things safely.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Tonight I have been carrying my Glock 26 in an ankle holster around the house.

Also put fresh bulbs in my outdoor porch lights.

Top Bottom