I'm gonna try (buy) a glock, but which one????

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • john0286

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I've decided to purchase a glock as my next handgun, I'm pretty set on a .40 which I reload. I want something accurate and fun to shoot. I know most of you will say hold them all and see which one you like the most (which I will) but I wanna know which ones you like and why? So should I get the G22, G23, or G35?

I'm also not opposed to a 9mm if you have a good argument for one other than cheaper ammo, G17,G19, or G34???

I did not forget the 26 and 27, I'm just not interested in them at this time, My main concern is ACCURACY.

I will probably not be carrying this gun at all, its just for fun at the range.

Thanks

Last edited:

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    You forgot the sub compacts... G26 & 27 I believe.

I have owned the service sized ( G22,17,21 ) and the tactical (G35) for a few years and liked them.

The first time I shot a compact sized, I loved it. Now days all I have left are the compact sized. ( G19's and 23/32 ).

It might seem like a tough decision now, but you will know alot more once you handle all of them.

For caliber, the only advantage I really see in getting a .40 is the versatility of shooting other calibers... If you get a .40, you can shoot 9mm with a CONVERSION barrel and 9mm mag and also you could shoot .357 sig by adding either a Glock or aftermarket barrel. If you go with the 9mm, you can't go the other way !

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    I have a 19, and am very biased about it. I feel the 40, especially the 22, 23 is very very snappy, just two pennies. I also think that at any given time 9mm is much easier to find in stock if you don't handload, as well as cheaper. I would say no matter what caliber you go with, go compact if it fits your hands, it to me just buries itself into my hands like a glove.

So I vote for the glock 19.... unbiased :D

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    You looking at Gen3 or Gen4s? Whats wrong with the 27? Is this for carry? Home defense? Or just fun at the range?

23 is probably going to be the most versatile if you're looking to carry it with any regularity, and would double up for home defense easily. If you're looking to take it to competition then Gen4 35 is going to offer the least recoil out of the bunch, making it easier to shoot, and if it's a range only gun then I'd just as soon go to the 9mm G34 with the dual recoil spring will be easy to bring right back onto target if you're careful what you use for ammo (or Gen3s and let it feed anything) But I'd stay away from compensated guns for home defense unless you're willing to look into the more expensive low flash ammo so you're night vision isn't totally gone after a first shot. If you want to go 9mm for just the cost there are conversion barrels out there that will work with the .40 S&W lineup. My 27 is a breeze to shoot for about an hour and a half before my hands start to get a little sore, so with a good grip I wouldn't be worried about there being too much kick in any of the models.

There's a Glock out there to suit every purpose, I think the 23 leaves the most doors open out of the models you're looking at and in .40 I'd say gen 3 or 4 is fine, if you go 19 (for cheaper, more available in the event of another shortage or major SHTF scenario and less recoil) then I'd still lean more toward the Gen3 unless you're a lefty or need the smaller grip (until you hold both you won't really know there). If you've got a clearly defined purpose then the G22 for home defense or the 35 for range/competition use might suit you better. The G22 isn't impossible to carry, it's just not all that fun from anyone I've seen try to CC it and I've never heard of an attempt to CC the 35, but I know that there are officer using either for their duty weapon, but they use the low flash ammo in the 35s.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I've never really shot a 40 before. So I can't give an opinion on it.

I have shot the 26, 19, 17, and 21.

I own a 19 and a 21.

I carry the 19. And the 19 was the best one to shoot.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I would say no matter what caliber you go with, go compact if it fits your hands, it to me just buries itself into my hands like a glove.

So I vote for the glock 19.... unbiased :D

That's exactly what I found too. All along I thought I wouldn't find something I liked better than the G22 or even G35 size until I shot a G19. It just felt so much better. Giving up the extra barrel length and site radius hasn't appeared to show in terms of my accuracy.

The one thing I do miss is the G35 when I would run it over a chrony using stout .357 loads with a KKM barrel. In that case, giving up the barrel length did make quite the difference in comparison to the G32.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    As my screen name suggests, 9mm is my preferred round. Am also biased, as I own a G 19. But the grip just melts into my hand. Small enough to conceal, if desired, also comfortable to open carry and it carries 15 rounds in the magazine. Damn accurate, too.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    111   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I have shot several of them and I currently have a G22. I like it alot, dead nuts accurate and feels good in my hand. Snappy but not too bad, I have heard the G23 has less recoil but the G22 fits my hands waaaay better. ;)

Amattern

Expert
    Rating - 97.1%
    66   2   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Terre Haute, IN
    I'd say the 22 for .40 or the 17 for 9mm. I personally have the glock 22 because I wanted the .40 since it was My carry gun. Ive since got a g27 so the g22 has taken on the role of strictly range duty. I personally do not like the looks of the slides on the g34, g35. My next glock will be either the 17 or the 19 and will be what I will shoot more at the range because of ammo prices.

leftsock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Greenwood
    I love shooting my G17, and the G19 is a ubiquitous choice.
    ... My main concern is ACCURACY.

If you're looking for the right tool for the job you describe, it sounds like you should be looking at the G34 or G35.

INyooper

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2009
    North Central IN
    After reading all the recommendations, I'd have so say you need to get one of each! ;)

The 19 or 23 seem to be the best "all-purpose" choices, however. If you're planning on shooting 40, the 23 will give you that as well as the option to shoot other calibers with different barrels.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    I've decided to purchase a glock as my next handgun, I'm pretty set on a .40 which I reload. I want something accurate and fun to shoot. I know most of you will say hold them all and see which one you like the most (which I will) but I wanna know which ones you like and why? So should I get the G22, G23, or G35?

I'm also not opposed to a 9mm if you have a good argument for one other than cheaper ammo, G17,G19, or G34???

I did not forget the 26 and 27, I'm just not interested in them at this time, My main concern is ACCURACY.

Thanks
    Rumor has it, that glock is coming out with a new 1911:D

Top Bottom