• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Liberty1911

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2012
    I remember when you wanted to play video games, you had to walk to an arcade, 5 miles, in the snow, uphill, both ways.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    When I was 16 if you had $10 on Friday night you put $2 in the gas tank, went to the movie and then Steak N Shake with the gurl. Now you can't do any of the 3 for $10! Ahhhhh White Castle... a whole bag was a buck and K Mart subs were 3 for a dollar!! Stewie, get out the time machine!!!! :D

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    When I was 16 if you had $10 on Friday night you put $2 in the gas tank, went to the movie and then Steak N Shake with the gurl. Now you can't do any of the 3 for $10! Ahhhhh White Castle... a whole bag was a buck and K Mart subs were 3 for a dollar!! Stewie, get out the time machine!!!! :D

If you bought the gas at the United station you could get 7 or 8 gallons, window washed and tires aired up by the attendant.

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    I'm cool with getting older, No probs at all except for
    - the dribble
    - not being able to see up close / being dependent upon readers
    - packing on weight
    - the aches and pains
    - being asked if my wife was my daughter
    - being asked if my daughter was my granddaughter
    - losing hair
    - graying hair
    - too much hair in the wrong places (ear hair ... what the ell)
    -
    sorry not enough time to finish now.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    If you bought the gas at the United station you could get 7 or 8 gallons, window washed and tires aired up by the attendant.

I pumped gas when I was in high school. I remember a number of the older customers would come up and ask for their gas by the gallon instead of 'I'll take $10 worth'. This one old lady would come up every so often and ask to have the air changed in her tires.:):

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I pumped gas when I was in high school. I remember a number of the older customers would come up and ask for their gas by the gallon instead of 'I'll take $10 worth'. This one old lady would come up every so often and ask to have the air changed in her tires.:):

Did you do it???

The importance of removing summer air and replacing with winter air is lost on the modern society......................:):

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Did you do it???

The importance of removing summer air and replacing with winter air is lost on the modern society......................:):

Yeah. The customer's always right!

So one day this lady had been in and pulled that and there was another customer in the store visiting (like the old guys like to hang out there and do)--he told me this lady used to do this at another gas station down the road. So one day the guy down there decided he'd had enough...so the next time she came up, he let all the air out of her tires and went back in the office. After some time, the lady gets out of her car and comes in to ask what's taking so long...the guy, apparently, told her some tale about the necessity to make sure all the old air gets out, etc. I think that's about the time she started coming to our station.:)::rolleyes:

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    23 days until I'm officially a year older...

I remember when I could stay up 72 hours and still be lucid and think critically. These days if I'm up more than ... 24-30 hours I'm worthless.

I also remember when I used to think, "how the heck could somebody fall asleep at the wheel!?" Just last year I found out as I crossed the rumble strips with both sets of tires. Thankfully it was a larger section of shoulder.

10Forward

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2013
    Greenfield
    In my late 40's, and have been fortunate to have worked at the same company for 18 years now.
    You know you've been around for awhile when new hires fresh out of college have told you that you remind them of their Dad. :fogey:

steve666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Indianapolis Eastside
    Better_zps9354453b.png

possum_128

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Martinsville area
    I DO remember 2 cent candy, dime Cokes, dime Phone booths, turning in empty "Pop" bottles for 2-3 cents each and gas for 35 cents/gallon! I also wear cheap Costco reading glasses to see to type this. I AM old!!! :rolleyes:

Same here but gas was 19 cents a gallon and white castles were a nickle. Oh and I can't squat down anymore with out falling over and yelling out in pain.:D

N8RV

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Peoria
    Back when I first took to the road, a friend of mine pulled up to the pumps and said, "Fill 'er up," and the young attendant looked a bit befuddled.

You see, this was back when Old Abe and I were terrorizing the countryside in his buggy and it didn't take gas, obviously. Ol' Abe and I just sat there laughing, and drove off.

Oh, and he wasn't always "Honest Abe," either. I could tell you stories ... :D

nailknocker

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    A friend of my dad stopped by the house to show off his new car, it was a brand new 1962 corvette.
    The ol man asked him, what did that set you back, his buddy responded that he had got them down to just under three grand. Ah the good ol days!+

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I've been in my house for over 20 years, and I can remember when this was all cornfields. I don't have the close vision problem, but I can't drive without the glasses.
    I am at the stage where if I drop something and have to get down to floor level, I try to think of anything else I need to do while I'm down there.

Top Bottom