• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    Just wanted to share this with some folks who might care about such things.

I went fishing at Eagle Creek Park this weekend, and didn't have to leave my pistol at home.

I went to my son's church's softball game at Thatcher rec center last evening, and didn't have to leave my pistol at home.

The stupid no-carry laws for those place really were a PITA.

I feel better now.

That's all.

BigJ

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Broadripple
    I too am enjoying them! Being able to take it to places to shoot it a plus, and being able to carry it on private property is another plus! (without a LTCH)

phatgemi

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 1, 2008
    Metamora, IN
    I haven't had a chance yet but I just might have to go walk around the Brookville town park. Yes, it's been 10 days and the state hasn't fell apart yet!!

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I went to the fireworks on the 4th. They were held at the local high school. Due to the middle school, elementary school and daycares, the nearest non-school parking was over a half mile away. We've come far this year with our gun laws, but it's not anywhere like far enough. I'll be writing many MANY letters to my legislators encouraging them to repeal or amend the moronic school carry (and other stupid) gun laws still on the books.

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    Hate to revive a week old thread, but this is worth sharing. I too am enjoying the park carry rules, as I like to run threw the parks and enjoying feeling the added comfort of having my LCP clipped to my gym shorts. (not that I didn't carry before, but I can carry now without any hassle) But anyways on to my point...check out what this person said in our local newspaper. (This quote is directly out of the Greenfield Daily Reporter, in the Hoots 'n Hollers section... "Wait a minute ... I can carry an Uzi into Riley Park but not a slingshot?"

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    I haven't done very much reading on the July 1st change...Did anything change for LTCH holders?

The law was changed to forbid local units of gov't from prohibiting firearms on government owned property, except for in very specific circumstances. That was the big one.

You don't have to have a LTCH to transport a handgun in your vehicle as long as it's unloaded, encased and inaccessible.

You don't have to have an LTCH transport/shoot handguns at the range.

We can buy long guns in any state that allows us to buy them. (it used to be adjoining states).

There might've been a few more, but I don't remember.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    The law was changed to forbid local units of gov't from prohibiting firearms on government owned property, except for in very specific circumstances. That was the big one.

You don't have to have a LTCH to transport a handgun in your vehicle as long as it's unloaded, encased and inaccessible.

You don't have to have an LTCH transport/shoot handguns at the range.

We can buy long guns in any state that allows us to buy them. (it used to be adjoining states).

There might've been a few more, but I don't remember.

I knew about most of that, but can you elaborate on the bold part? What are the very specific circumstances(or where can we carry now that we couldn't before)?

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    I knew about most of that, but can you elaborate on the bold part? What are the very specific circumstances(or where can we carry now that we couldn't before)?

Basically the only circumstances where a local government can PROHIBIT you from carrying in their building is if that building houses a courthouse. You can also be banned from carrying in public hospitals (or sections of hospitals) that have secure areas for prisoners.

They can ban you from display of a firearm (open carry) at a public meeting (public meeting yet to be defined).

A private entity renting/leasing gov't space can prohibit carry. (Colts at Lucas Oil, Conseco Fieldhouse, 4H at your county fairgrounds, etc.). They could ask you to leave. You wouldn't go to jail for carrying there.

The kinds of places it opens up for carry are most government buildings, public libraries, parks, fairgrounds, etc.

The nice thing is, even the places they are ALLOWED to prohibit carry, it is not automatically in the new law. The local unit still has to actively prohibit it. In other words, just because the law ALLOWS a town to prohibit carry in a building containing a courthouse, it doesn't mean that you automatically can't carry there. Your town would still have to decide to disallow firearms there.

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    What are the very specific circumstances(or where can we carry now that we couldn't before)?

Here is a quick summary of the changes to the law I threw together:

§ They can prohibit employees from carrying while on the job.
    § They can prohibit guns in buildings with a courtroom EXCEPT when the building also contains other private residence or business then the residence or business & common area is exempt from the prohibition.
    § They can restrict open carrying at a “public meeting” (whatever that means).
    § They can prohibit guns in public hospitals with a prison ward as long as it is manned by LE 24 hours a day.
    § Allows event organizers who lease land from a local government the ability to impose restrictions on carrying at the event & allows the local government the authority to enforce those restrictions (trespassing, etc)
    § They can prohibit firearms in city & county hospitals.
    § They can prohibit guns in public buildings as long as:
    · There is a metal detector at each public entrance
    · And there is a LEO staffed at those entrances at all times when the building is open
    · And every person & every container they are carrying (purse, bag, etc.) entering the building is inspected by metal detector or pat down
    · EXCEPT if you have a handgun & have a unlimited LTCH

Top Bottom