• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    You mean other than it being a civil right?:dunno: Civil rights are not need based.:D

There have been incidents at Eagle Creek as there have been anywhere else.

So, are we going to have an INGO bicycle ride down the Monon to the gun show in August?

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Why would someone need to carry a gun at Eagle Creek park anyway? Just because you can or do some of you feel like you are really in danger?

Why would someone carry a gun anywhere? The chances of getting mugged/robbed/murdered are pretty low almost anywhere you go in this country.

OP, when you can promise, with 100% certainty, that no one will EVER be mugged or some other sort of criminal encounter at Eagle Creek Park, maybe people won't need to carry there.

Why should someone have to prove NEED? Last I checked we have a 2nd Amendment that guarantees us the right to keep and BEAR arms. That SHOULD be all the justification we need. The NEED question is a popular tactic with the anti-2A crowd. "Why do you NEED a high-cap mag? Can't you hit anything?" "Why do you NEED an 'assault weapon'? Those should only be for the Army" "Why do you NEED to carry a gun around on your hip? Are you THAT afraid for your safety? Are you compensating for something?" I could go on and on.

If you feel safe at Eagle Creek, then don't carry if that's what suits you. The gov't shouldn't be able to tell you that you can't exercise a constitutional right on the very grounds your tax money have funded.

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    Why would someone need to carry a gun at Eagle Creek park anyway? Just because you can or do some of you feel like you are really in danger?

Traildog1,
    I pose the following questions:

Why do you have insurance (beyond the "it's the law" requirement)?
    Why do you have a first aid kit in your vehicle?
    Why do you have jumper cables in your vehicle?

The most common answer to all of those questions is "Just in case I need them." This is the same answer to your question

A sidearm is just a tool, just like any other tool, nothing worse than needing a specific tool and not having it with you, am I wrong?

P.S. I was using the general, broad, you in my questions, not meaning you specifically.

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Why should someone have to prove NEED? Last I checked we have a 2nd Amendment that guarantees us the right to keep and BEAR arms. That SHOULD be all the justification we need. The NEED question is a popular tactic with the anti-2A crowd. "Why do you NEED a high-cap mag? Can't you hit anything?" "Why do you NEED an 'assault weapon'? Those should only be for the Army" "Why do you NEED to carry a gun around on your hip? Are you THAT afraid for your safety? Are you compensating for something?" I could go on and on.

+1 ryknoll3...reminds me of a quote.

“Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority … the Constitution was made to guard against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.”
    - Noah Webster

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    Relax guys, its ok to say "Because I can". The only reason I ever carry a gun is just because I can. I dont really believe my life is in danger when I go to the grocery store...

And yes, I'm trying to accumulate 50 posts to use the classifieds. I'm not sorry.

If that's your only reason and you don't fully understand why you need a gun do us all a favor and don't carry.

Plus you need quality posts..I have yet to see one.

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    When you say "because I can" and "why do I need a gun" it makes me think that you don't have loved ones who you are willing to protect and you aren't willing to protect yourself. It seems your "because I can" statement is because you feel cool when you carry and have no intention and or ability to properly use it in a sefl-defense situation. You carry for the reason you want but with you said I think it's a ****ty one and you give the rest of us gun owners a bad name. Thanks, proceed to troll so you can sell overpriced stuff in the classifides.

BTW- This is not craig's list.

EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN

It's me, the guy who started the thread, and happy about carrying a sidearm at Eagle Creek Park. Here's my 2 point philosophy on need:

Point 1: If there is a place and time where I believe I will really need to use a gun, I avoid that place and time at all reasonable costs.

Point 2: I carry a sidearm all other times and places, where allowed of course, just in case I've made a mistake about the places and times in Point 1.

That about sums it up for me.

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    You're not understanding - or attempting to understand - what I mean by "because I can". I have loved ones that I do watch out for and protect. Regardless of what you may believe or what you may or may not be capable of, it is possible to protect oneself as well as loved ones without the use of a gun. That being said, having bigger tools at ones disposal in order that one may accomplish bigger jobs is nothing more than being well prepared. You and I and everyone else on this site are so prepared. The difference, from what I'm gathering, is that you carry your entire tool box around with you at all times and I do not. The "because I can" is only another way of saying "its my right". I do not believe that I "need" to carry a gun around with me everywhere I go just because some pizza guy shot a mugger. You seem to feel differently, and thats ok. So when I carry a gun at, say, Kroger, its because its my right to have the ability to protect myself, not because I believe there will be an encounter that will require the use of a handgun.

I understand although, I'm not sure if you were saying I was stupid.:dunno: It just came off as you didn't really have a reason for carrying a gun in the first place since your comments reflected that.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    I went to the fireworks on the 4th. They were held at the local high school. Due to the middle school, elementary school and daycares, the nearest non-school parking was over a half mile away. We've come far this year with our gun laws, but it's not anywhere like far enough. I'll be writing many MANY letters to my legislators encouraging them to repeal or amend the moronic school carry (and other stupid) gun laws still on the books.
    +1. Remember Federal law doesn't restrict people with carry licenses issued by their state from carrying on school property. Indiana is very restrictive. The issue is ours to deal with here in Indiana and make right.

Top Bottom