• ...and so much more!
  • Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I've tried to fish the lake outside of my place a couple of times and had no luck. A neighbor told me about the large-mouth bass "bedding" this time of year and the warmer it gets, the more active they will become. Well, he showed me how to "hook" them in their beds and I had a pretty good day. We got to keep them because some assessor came out and said that 10-12 of the larger fish needed to be removed in order to avoid "shocking" the lake.

I'm not that good at cleaning them, but we have enough meat for a good meal, tomorrow. Hopefully, I can get better at this than I am with deer hunting. Either way, I have a good time just being out in the fresh air.

1923C0A1-258C-4D3B-8A77-1654DBB5A3F5_zpsakwirx8h.jpg

FB2CBC06-E804-4AD8-AA08-22A7B1919EB1_zps5zbikodv.jpg

25FD528E-6AEC-45EC-ADA4-15C9EAF16786_zpsoxguydh6.jpg

Crbn79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 4, 2014
    Indianapolis, North
    That's better than I've done in a couple of years. Fishing is VERY addicting.

No, it's not the Fear they smell, it's the beer! Haven't you ever heard cheap/skunk beer scares away the fish?

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    The guy used a hook with three prongs and just threw it in the water and snatched them out! He didn't use a worm or anything. He said it would be illegal to do that with some fish, but it was okay for bass. It was kind of impressive. We have to pull out about six more before it's catch and release again.

poppy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2012
    South of Indy
    Ok, Que, you look like you know what you are doing. A true fisherman. Now, let's get the terminology right so you can sound like a fisherman. The guy was probably using a treble hook :). Now you will look and sound like a fisherman!

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    The guy used a hook with three prongs and just threw it in the water and snatched them out! He didn't use a worm or anything. He said it would be illegal to do that with some fish, but it was okay for bass. It was kind of impressive. We have to pull out about six more before it's catch and release again.

Just to note, snagging/foul hooking is illegal in all public waters, regardless of fish.

Additionally, why in the world would you want to snag largemouth?

http://fishing50.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Indiana-Fishing-Regulations.pdf

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Just to note, snagging/foul hooking is illegal in all public waters, regardless of fish.

Additionally, why in the world would you want to snag largemouth?

http://fishing50.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Indiana-Fishing-Regulations.pdf

It's a private lake. The guy is a nice state police officer who is going to take me and my son under his wing to teach us how to fish. He was just helping us follow what the inspector said and get the larger ones out of the lake befor it gets too warm. He has the skill to fish, but didn't have time to be out there all day.

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    It's a private lake. The guy is a nice state police officer who is going to take me and my son under his wing to teach us how to fish. He was just helping us follow what the inspector said and get the larger ones out of the lake befor it gets too warm. He has the skill to fish, but didn't have time to be out there all day.

I just didn't want you to get in trouble down the road. DNR (illegal in Virgina as well, just checked) guys drop the hammer. :)

the inspector said and get the larger ones out of the lake befor it gets too warm

Someones trying for that state record. :):

None the less, snagging is an awful way to selectively harvest a LM population as the goal is to only remove males. No sportsman, conservationist, snags. It injures, punctures, takes a chunk, etc. way more fish than you are able to get to shore.

Last edited:

poppy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2012
    South of Indy

Learn well, grasshopper.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I just didn't want you to get in trouble down the road. DNR (illegal in Virgina as well, just checked) guys drop the hammer. :)

the inspector said and get the larger ones out of the lake befor it gets too warm

Someones trying for that state record. :):

None the less, snagging is an awful way to selectively harvest a LM population as the goal is to only remove males. No sportsman, conservationist, snags. It injures, punctures, takes a chunk, etc. way more fish than you are able to get to shore.

I definitely appreciate the advice.

On another note, we have a fish rodeo coming up in a couple of weeks at my conservation club. Hopefully, my son can catch a big one. We are stocking the lake with some huge fish and they will be hungry. There are supposed to be some very good fishermen/women out there giving lessons. I hope to learn a lot that day.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    This is one of the craziest posts I have seen, lol. I think maybe the fine LEO is setting you up. I mean for real...he is teaching you to snag fish. I would be very leery of anything this guy teaches me. You sure you can trust him?

Then again, perhaps it is just selective culling...just don't seem very sportsman like. It's like getting robbed when you are constipated.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom