• ...and so much more!
  • Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    They will become "may issue". Which, in Chicago, means may issue to Mayors, Aldermen and respected members of the Democratic machine.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    & Chicago will win. You want to know why? The article states it as clear as day.

One thing in Chicago's favor is that Illinois is one of only six states that have what is called "home rule," which allows local jurisdictions to write their own gun laws.

Unlike IN where we have preemptive laws meaning a local government can't superde a state law that is not the case in IL. The local gov can make a law more restrictive which means Chicago can't outright ban CC but they will make it just as hard for anyone to try to do it.

Ie.
    1) Have to take training class,
    2) Have to apply for a chicago CC permit, yearly at xyz cost
    3) Have to register said handgun (already a lenghtly, costly processes)

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    So Chicago becomes a "safe" Fort Apache, surrounded by constitutionally-compliant States.

Let's see what happens to the Chicago crime rate, compared to the Illinois rate at large.

One reason the city might want to craft its own ordinance, they said, is that Chicago's gang problem is unique in Illinois.
    Wonder how that happened?

Of course all the Dem politicians will turn in their gats and release their security details. Maybe tomorrow...

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    hahaha

You know, the harder they fight it, the worse it will get for the IL anti-carry people.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    hahaha

You know, the harder they fight it, the worse it will get for the IL anti-carry people.

Exactly this. 180 days does not sound like much time to craft your own laws and vote on them in committee, rewrite them, vote on them again, let them be heard on the floor, discuss, rewrite them, meet in committee again... ETC

They will have to use an existing template from another state or they will break the deadline and become Constitutional Carry.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Exactly this. 180 days does not sound like much time to craft your own laws and vote on them in committee, rewrite them, vote on them again, let them be heard on the floor, discuss, rewrite them, meet in committee again... ETC

They will have to use an existing template from another state or they will break the deadline and become Constitutional Carry.
    Really? If they do not make the deadline they become Constitutional carry?

homer12

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2012
    How about if they want to stop gangs they GIVE every citizen in good standing a firearm, free training, and hold up citizen arrest cases. I know I know it sounds as crazy as the mobsters I mean politicians that run that Town.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011

Basically, yes.

A fuller answer:
    If IL doesn't enact something that complies with the constitution, within the deadline, the current scheme will be unenforceable. Any agency that tries to enforce it could be on the hook for significant dollars. Without anything enforceable on the books, the legal landscape will look alot like constitutional carry.

Now, there will be opportunities for the deadline to be extended, depending on how the rest of the appellate process plays out.

So, IL has to change something. I tend to think they will take the most restrictive scheme they can find, look for ways to make it more restrictive, and enact that. (I think KF posted in a different thread that there is a significant pro-gun element in the legislature, so I may be too pessimistic). The new system will likely be not nearly as good as what we have here in IN, but it will be better than what it was.

All IMHO.

Edit: Ah- the man himself responded. :) One other thing to consider, I wouldn't expect reciprocity to be honored by IL.

Last edited:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Unlike IN where we have preemptive laws meaning a local government can't superde a state law that is not the case in IL. The local gov can make a law more restrictive which means Chicago can't outright ban CC but they will make it just as hard for anyone to try to do it.

McDonald incorporated the Second Amendment to ALL levels of government. Chicago can do no such thing.

The order in Shephard applies to all of the state of Illinois, not just Illinois minus Chicago.:D

They will have to use an existing template from another state

Ohio is a good guess as an end product but here was an earlier bill (shall issue, training, inter alia), I would anticipate something similar:

Illinois General Assembly - Bill Status for HB0148

If there is no statute making it criminal then it is not a crime.

In England everything not prohibited is illegal.

In Germany everything not permitted is illegal.

In China everything is prohibited and illegal unless you are ordered to do so.

LCSOSgt11

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    LaPorte, IN
    I should think maybe a better remedy is to build a 100 foot tall wall around Chicago, bypass all of the interstate freeways around it and leave it to it's own devices.

No way in, no way out, especially for the politicians there.

After that, I'd think they would be considering some sort of personal protection. (Oh, and not by "Trojanman" either...)

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    Basically, yes.

A fuller answer:
    If IL doesn't enact something that complies with the constitution, within the deadline, the current scheme will be unenforceable. Any agency that tries to enforce it could be on the hook for significant dollars. Without anything enforceable on the books, the legal landscape will look alot like constitutional carry.

Now, there will be opportunities for the deadline to be extended, depending on how the rest of the appellate process plays out.

So, IL has to change something. I tend to think they will take the most restrictive scheme they can find, look for ways to make it more restrictive, and enact that. (I think KF posted in a different thread that there is a significant pro-gun element in the legislature, so I may be to pessimistic). The new system will likely be not nearly as good as what we have here in IN, but it will be better than what it was.

All IMHO.

Yes, there is clearly and quite easily a pro-gun "majority" in the Illinois legislature. The two major problems have always been needing a "super majority" to get around Chicago's home rule, and to over ride any Governor veto (the republican governors were worse than the dems on firearm issues.)

Those two problems are now gone. The CCW law is already written, and the pro gun folk are stating very emphatically that there will be no compromises on the issue that were needed in the past in an attempt to pick up votes. They just don't need them now.

We shall see, eh.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I think KF posted in a different thread that there is a significant pro-gun element in the legislature, so I may be to pessimistic

Yes, the Democratic majority in the Illinois General Assembly, especially in the House, is inflated by Central and Southern Democrats. Firearms in Central and Southern Illiniois are viewed culturally the same as in Indiana.

Even with Madigan at the helm steering the ship where Tiny Dancer points with his 9 fingers there is a high probability of passing legislation like last year's bill that I linked to.

ejm874

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2009
    NWI/Indy
    How about if they want to stop gangs they GIVE every citizen in good standing a firearm, free training, and hold up citizen arrest cases. I know I know it sounds as crazy as the mobsters I mean politicians that run that Town.

"But, but we can't give guns to law abiding people, well because then the criminals would prey on them and steal the guns from them!! Yeah, that!" :n00b:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    should think maybe a better remedy is to build a 100 foot tall wall around Chicago, bypass all of the interstate freeways around it and leave it to it's own devices.

I disagree. Chicago is the anvil of victory. This is where the fight must be.

1. There are good people in Chicago that we should not leave behind. Need I remind anyone of Otis McDonald?

2. The greatest of all victories is to make your enemy your friend. I foresee a day of gun shops on Michigan Avenue and shooting ranges on the Gold Coast.:)

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Of course, the most corrupt state government in the nation would fight recognition of the Second Amendment. They've been denying the people of Illinois their rights as Americans for decades. Is it a mere coincidence that in the past four decades, since 1973, four of eight Illinois governors have been convicted of felony charges related to corruption including bribery, tax evasion, conspiracy, perjury, etc. and subsequently imprisoned? Four of the last eight!!! Unbelievable. Since the 1970s, 79 other elected Illinois officials have been convicted of felonies. Who are these criminals to deny anything to anyone, much less a consitutional right?? They have no credibility, much less any shred of integrity.

Of course the criminals in Chicago and Springfield will fight the American people who happen to be their own constiuents. They been denying the civil rights to citizens for decades while lining their own pockets. It's about time the feds to turn the tables and force the US Contsitution down the throats of these corrupt officials. Maybe that's what it will take to change the culture of corruption in IL politics.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom