Illinois Public Act 098-0063 Concealed Carry in Illinois Hoosiers Look Here!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    Glad to see they finally got CCP going over there.
    It's a start anyway.
    I will be interested to see some stats about gun violence and crime in the next few years after people start carrying in mass.
    Good to know about having the gun in the car.

Now we need a Federal LTCH permit that's good in all 50 states (or just lower 48).

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Unlike Indiana law, where if you have a carry license from another state, you need do nothing more to be able to carry in Indiana, under Illinois law, you have to have a carry license in good standing from [strike]another[/strike] your home state in order to even be offered the opportunity to pay double the rate for in-state license holders to even apply for a non-resident Illinois carry license.

Captain Morgan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2012
    terrible haute
    Unlike Indiana law, where if you have a carry license from another state, you need do nothing more to be able to carry in Indiana, under Illinois law, you have to have a carry license in good standing from [strike]another[/strike] your home state that has similar requirements to Illinois license process in order to even be offered the opportunity to pay double the rate for in-state license holders to even apply for a non-resident Illinois carry license.

FIFY

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    No kidding. My fiance is from Wisconsin and our wedding will be there as well, so we do a lot of driving through Illannoy. That state is only a highway to me. Luckily now I can carry while in the car as we pass through the state. I'll need to print out the code for reference if I'm ever stopped.

There will be a lot of interpretations relative to this law. What if you are pulled over, and the LEO asks you to get out of the vehicle. Can he/she then arrest you for not having an Illinois concealed carry permit? What about stopping for fuel? What if you are involved in an accident, and your vehicle is not drivable? I'm sure there will be a lot more. It's Illinois so common sense cannot be factored in.

INAL, and have not read the entire text, but from the portion in the OP, it sounds like getting out of your vehicle while having a concealed firearm on your person, for any reason, would put you at risk of arrest.

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    Good! I will be driving through the crap hole state of IL next Monday and do not plan on stopping, at least now I don't have to unload my guns whilst passing through!

Pinchaser

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 26, 2012
    All they've done is codified the peaceable journey clause that is in most state's code. Yes, you can now traverse Illinois and carry your gun legally. However, as the language and the interpretation continues to be evaluated, it is becoming clear that Hoosiers will likely not be allowed to apply for a non-resident permit. I'm not sure I would have applied anyway, given the cost and very stringent training requirement, but it now appears it's a moot point anyway.

Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    Better than it was, but still open to problems. "leaves his or her vehicle unattended" could mean a lot of things. If you get out to swipe a credit card in the gas pump? Go inside to use a restroom? Go inside for a quick bite to eat? It is a step in the right direction, but still leaves me uneasy. I will do like I always have. When I get to the last stop before entering the state I will gas up, get food, and use the restroom. Not only does this keep me safer, I feel much better about myself not financially supporting a state who refuses to recognize a God given right. So for me, nothing really changes, other than it's now legal to drive strait through with a loaded gun in the car, and I don't have to feel I need to completely drive around the state to keep from being charged with a "silly felony".

If the non-resident leaves his or her vehicle unattended,
    he or she shall store the firearm within a locked vehicle or
    locked container within the vehicle in accordance with
    subsection (b) of Section 65 of this Act.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Better than it was, but still open to problems. "leaves his or her vehicle unattended" could mean a lot of things. If you get out to swipe a credit card in the gas pump? Go inside to use a restroom? Go inside for a quick bite to eat? It is a step in the right direction, but still leaves me uneasy. I will do like I always have. When I get to the last stop before entering the state I will gas up, get food, and use the restroom. Not only does this keep me safer, I feel much better about myself not financially supporting a state who refuses to recognize a God given right. So for me, nothing really changes, other than it's now legal to drive strait through with a loaded gun in the car, and I don't have to feel I need to completely drive around the state to keep from being charged with a "silly felony".
    That's the general idea. This doesn't change anything for myself either. Except that I don't have to disarm before I cross into Ill. in my vehicle. (which I don't do very often to begin with). There is nothing in Illinois that entices me to go there.

MadMan66

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2012
    Hogshitt's Paradise
    I have to be in Illannoy on saturday for a friends wedding... I'm contemplating just driving my car into the church to avoid getting out of my car. Joking aside, a locked glove box would meet the requirements, correct? (I know it's all speculations at this point)

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    I have to be in Illannoy on saturday for a friends wedding... I'm contemplating just driving my car into the church to avoid getting out of my car. Joking aside, a locked glove box would meet the requirements, correct? (I know it's all speculations at this point)
    I know Illinois makes no sense...excuse me, Chicago I mean. But whats the deal with the gun locked up? Isnt it already locked up when you leave your vehicle and lock the doors? My tahoe is a lockable container. :rolleyes:

SmokinSigs357

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    So, this is in effect immediately? Interesting. I would also add that the "leaving vehicle unattended" is very interesting as already pointed out. Fueling up is leaving the vehicle...but NOT unattended...I practically live on the state line; though I see no reason to go over the line to fuel up for many reasons, there are some coin-op car washes that I go to. I would exit the vehicle, but it definitely would not be unattended.

Hmmmmm.....

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis

Why bother? The code says "store the firearm in a locked vehicle." The other, additional lock becomes a debate held in other threads. If you don't lock the vehicle, THEN you need the locked "container."

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    Why bother? The code says "store the firearm in a locked vehicle." The other, additional lock becomes a debate held in other threads. If you don't lock the vehicle, THEN you need the locked "container."

This is a legitimate point. According to the letter of the law you can leave the firearm in the locked vehicle with no container needed. If you are fueling, leave the firearm in the vehicle, lock it, and do what you have to do.

MadMan66

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2012
    Hogshitt's Paradise
    I know Illinois makes no sense...excuse me, Chicago I mean. But whats the deal with the gun locked up? Isnt it already locked up when you leave your vehicle and lock the doors? My tahoe is a lockable container. :rolleyes:

You're right. I didn't see the "or" when it said within a locked vehicle OR locked container. I thought it had to be both.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Looks like a little update is in order...

all_usa_map.gif

Now we can stand back and say... "light it up!"

(grrrr... having a hard time finding that movie clip from Strange Brew!)

Last edited:

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    This bill did contain preemption that gives the state exclusive rights to set rules and regs for licensees and handguns and ammunition.

Here's the preemption section.

Section 90. Preemption.The regulation, licensing, possession, registration, and
    transportation of handguns and ammunition for handguns by
    licensees are exclusive powers and functions of the State. Any
    ordinance or regulation, or portion thereof, enacted on or
    - 35 -HB0183 Enrolled LRB098 05760 MGM 35799 bbefore the effective date of this Act that purports to impose
    regulations or restrictions on licensees or handguns and
    ammunition for handguns in a manner inconsistent with this Act
    shall be invalid in its application to licensees under this Act
    on the effective date of this Act. This Section is a denial and
    limitation of home rule powers and functions under subsection
    (h) of Section 6 of Article VII of the Illinois Constitution.

Top Bottom