Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    [/COLOR]
    Now after a quick googlefu that's not what I found.
    It seems the " safe zone is a place where one can feel free to talk about being lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, questioning, allied, asexual or intersex without fear of criticism or hatred. It is a place where one can feel not only supported, but affirmed and valued.

Strait heterosexual seems to be missing from the college sites I looked at.

And I assume you looked up the specific safezone where I was employed?

I have not been involved for a while, but when I was, it was about all sorts of diversity.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    In my capacity as college professor, I served as the LGBT advisor and safezone coordinator for many years.

So you were a adviser for the lifestyles of lgbt but a coordinator for safe zone that was for was for everyone ? Rightttttttttttt...
    That's OK I will move past that.

Redtbird

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Apr 18, 2012
    Monroe County
    Nope ..nada..... And you have no definitive FACTS to prove you're point..
    Period. Stop..End of sentence.

And I find it interesting that you had no response to the fact that Mental Health Doctors are involved in all aspects of the road traveled with a transgendered person. If its as simple as what you are saying why are the shrinks even involved.

When a person is trying to deal with the feelings involved with being Transgender, many do seek the aid of a professional. This might be a Mental Health Therapist, a Counselor, or maybe even a Psychiatrist. Why do they go to a professional? To get help with the conflicting feelings of the mind and body. To learn how to live with the conflict between mind and body. To determine if they are a possible candidate for Sexual Reassignment Surgery (SRS). To help them take that ginormous step from living as a male to learning to live as a female, whether they have had the Surgery or not. Not every Transgender person goes thru the Surgery. Why? Lack of money. Not willing to go thru that door. Not a surgery candidate due to other health reasons. Or, they are just happy living their life as a woman.

I have a close friend who is Transgender, and some of the stories she has told me about her life and what she has gone thru to get where she is today, would curl your hair. She is lucky she is still alive. She has been verbally abused, physically beaten, lost jobs, lost friends and shunned by her family. She sees her therapist every two weeks. She religiously takes the meds prescribed for her. On the board here, we talk about "self-awareness". She isn't a gun owner, but she definitely knows all about being aware of where she is and what is going on around her.

Until you have lived someone else's life, until you have walked in their shoes and taken the same path they have been on, until you have experienced SOME of the things they have been through, you have reason to talk against them, put them down, condemn them for what/who they are, or the way they live their life. They are trying to do the same thing you are doing and that is to get thru Life with as few 'bumps in the roads as possible'.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Nope ..nada..... And you have no definitive FACTS to prove you're point..
    Period. Stop..End of sentence.

When a person is trying to deal with the feelings involved with being Transgender, many do seek the aid of a professional. This might be a Mental Health Therapist, a Counselor, or maybe even a Psychiatrist. Why do they go to a professional? To get help with the conflicting feelings of the mind and body. To learn how to live with the conflict between mind and body. To determine if they are a possible candidate for Sexual Reassignment Surgery (SRS). To help them take that ginormous step from living as a male to learning to live as a female, whether they have had the Surgery or not. Not every Transgender person goes thru the Surgery. Why? Lack of money. Not willing to go thru that door. Not a surgery candidate due to other health reasons. Or, they are just happy living their life as a woman.

I have a close friend who is Transgender, and some of the stories she has told me about her life and what she has gone thru to get where she is today, would curl your hair. She is lucky she is still alive. She has been verbally abused, physically beaten, lost jobs, lost friends and shunned by her family. She sees her therapist every two weeks. She religiously takes the meds prescribed for her. On the board here, we talk about "self-awareness". She isn't a gun owner, but she definitely knows all about being aware of where she is and what is going on around her.

Until you have lived someone else's life, until you have walked in their shoes and taken the same path they have been on, until you have experienced SOME of the things they have been through, you have reason to talk against them, put them down, condemn them for what/who they are, or the way they live their life. They are trying to do the same thing you are doing and that is to get thru Life with as few 'bumps in the roads as possible'.

I think there's a difference between putting someone down and recognizing that someone isn't really "in the wrong body." People have a host of mental issues, some due to chemicals (natural or otherwise), or mental trauma, or who knows what. I always think of the lady who believed demon snakes invaded her house. I felt terribly sorry for her, because her quality of life was terrible. She was constantly afraid. That does not mean I have to pretend to see the snakes or that demons are real.

My cat comment earlier was tongue in cheek, but there are legitimately people who believe they are the wrong species.
    Lycanthropy ? psychopathological and psychodynamical aspects - Garlipp - 2003 - Acta Psychiatrica Scandinavica - Wiley Online Library

So, if someone really and truly believes they are a horse trapped in a human's body, is the rational and humane thing to do to let them sleep in the barn? Is it "torture" to make them wear clothing in public?

I don't know what the answers are. It's well and truly way above my level of understanding. I just find it interesting that gender dysphoria is treated so differently than other body image mental disorders.

Win52C

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Lawrence County
    I happen to be friends with a Transgendered Lady (I use that term intentionally)..she is intelligent, funny and articulate, not to mention one hell of a good shot......I cannot imagine the struggle she has faced. All I know is, she is a fine human being and outshines Many, Many non transgendered humans I've known in my life. :twocents:

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    My cat comment earlier was tongue in cheek, but there are legitimately people who believe they are the wrong species.
    Lycanthropy ? psychopathological and psychodynamical aspects - Garlipp - 2003 - Acta Psychiatrica Scandinavica - Wiley Online Library

So, if someone really and truly believes they are a horse trapped in a human's body, is the rational and humane thing to do to let them sleep in the barn? Is it "torture" to make them wear clothing in public?

I don't know what the answers are. It's well and truly way above my level of understanding. I just find it interesting that gender dysphoria is treated so differently than other body image mental disorders.

No, these people are ill. They are narcissist of the worst kind, and are not genuine. This crap has only come to light as of late. It's a new partition of the mentally ill narcissists. It is not a real thing.

"Otherkin" was created by the Internet "at-large". Do NOT give it any merit. Don't pretend it's a real thing.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    CENTRAL
    No, these people are ill. They are narcissist of the worst kind, and are not genuine. This crap has only come to light as of late. It's a new partition of the mentally ill narcissists. It is not a real thing.

"Otherkin" was created by the Internet "at-large". Do NOT give it any merit. Don't pretend it's a real thing.

You keep saying they're all "narcissists." How many Transgender people do you know? Anyone close to you like a family member or friend? I find it hard to believe that you do because a friendly relationship with that person would easily force you to leave your know all attitude in the dust.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    You keep saying they're all "narcissists." How many Transgender people do you know? Anyone close to you like a family member or friend? I find it hard to believe that you do because a friendly relationship with that person would easily force you to leave your know all attitude in the dust.

Uh, he's talking about "otherkin."
    Look it up, then even you, Snapdragon, and CathyinBlue will have to admit it takes ludicrous to a whole new level.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    CENTRAL
    Uh, he's talking about "otherkin."
    Look it up, then even you, Snapdragon, and CathyinBlue will have to admit it takes ludicrous to a whole new level.
    On one of the earlier pages he called transgender people narcissists. He seems to be grouping them in the same category as these otherkin. That is what I'm referring to.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    On one of the earlier pages he called transgender people narcissists. He seems to be grouping them in the same category as transgender people. That is what I'm referring to.

I didn't call transgender people narcissists. Speaking primarilly of the "gender fluid, this is the gender I identify with today" sorts of people.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    CENTRAL
    I didn't call transgender people narcissists. Speaking primarilly of the "gender fluid, this is the gender I identify with today" sorts of people.
    No?
    Yes, I consider "gender identity" situations to be mental illness. That's my opinion.

Just a bunch of Tumblrista/SJW narcissists.

Edit: And maybe we're talking about different things. I read the first page, then I skipped the next 8 pages. I'm talking about the "today I consider myself a woman. Tomorrow I consider myself Bi. The next day I'm a man. The next day I think I'm a wolf-kin" sort of mentality.

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    There is concrete, medical evidence of brains in male bodies operating at the deepest levels like brains typical of female bodies, and vice versa, and this evidence is independent of sexual orientation. Men who like men and who like being men test identicly to men who like women and who like being men, but differently from men who like men and who want to be women, who actually test the same as women who like being women, regardless of whether those women like women or like men.

tl;dr: SEXUAL ORIENTATION IS DIFFERENT FROM GENDER IDENTITY and GENDER IDENTITY HAS CONCRETE PROOF OF ITS EXISTENCE SEPARATE FROM SEX ORGANS.

When someone can show me a medical scan of an otherkin showing their brains operating more typicly like the brains of horses or birds and not like the brains of humans, I'll entertain the idea that otherkin may be legitimate. When someone can show me a medical scan of a poor person showing their brains operating more typicly like the brains of rich people (specificly), then I'll entertain the idea that people who make the claim that they are a rich person in a poor person's body are not just being anti-LGBT *******s.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    One last truth and then I'll be on my way. There's nothing enlightened or morally superior about telling someone they're ok when they're not. Even biological discrepencies don't justify behavior. You're not doing them any favors by protecting them. You're not loving them. You're crippling them. See ya around.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    One last truth and then I'll be on my way. There's nothing enlightened or morally superior about telling someone they're ok when they're not. Even biological discrepencies don't justify behavior. You're not doing them any favors by protecting them. You're not loving them. You're crippling them. See ya around.

What gives you the right to decide they're not OK?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom