• ...and so much more!
  • SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    Can't feel very sorry for the guy. Canada is well known for their phobia against handguns. I wouldn't even attempt to take one into the country.

hacksawfg

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    Hopefully not Genera
    You can actually purchase handguns fairly easily as well if you're Canadian. You do have to pass the appropriate tests and have a license. Of course carrying for personal protection it is strictly forbidden (not impossible, but you have to demonstrate need).

I travel to Manitoba for work and have considered bringing my P226 up. As long as I complete the proper paperwork, etc., it wouldn't be a problem, but it's not really worth it for the few times I would be able to shoot.

Anyway, back on topic, if you forget that you have a gun before crossing the border you're an idiot.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    And SBR's as well. And Polytech M14 are $389!!!

I wonder the legality of a Canadian (or anyone, for that matter, living in Canada and legally owning such firearms) emigrating to the United States, legally, to live/work.

How would the .gov handle the "personal" importation of said personally owned firearms?

-J-

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    When we went to US side of the Niagara Falls area to pick up a trailer, we borrowed a fellow gun guy's car. We decided to do the Canadian tour via tour bus from the US side, just because we hadn't searched the car. We found .45 shells in the glove box and a few other things along the trip, that led us to believe it was the right choice. :)

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I wonder the legality of a Canadian (or anyone, for that matter, living in Canada and legally owning such firearms) emigrating to the United States, legally, to live/work.

How would the .gov handle the "personal" importation of said personally owned firearms?

-J-

I don't know Indy but I do remember seeing CZ 75's with no import mark selling at the Louisville Gun Show in the early 80's for $700-$800. I was told when I asked that they "came from Canada." I am assuming people just brought them down here with them and when they saw what they were going for in the States (Jeff Cooper and "Forbiden Fruit" factor I suppose) they traded them or sold them to individuals. You will still see one occasionally with no import mark (pre b's) and I just considered them
    "Canadian CZ's."

RandomName

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2012

-J-

They have to abide by the same rules as any other importation, even if they are personal or you are a corporation and they were used for business purposes (not for sale). If you go hunting in Africa, say, and take your rifle out of the country it has to comply with all import rules to come back with you.

At least this is the way it used to be 7-8 years ago.

Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    Almost detained myself years ago going across the border to hunt. Had filled out all of the paperwork ahead of time, as required. When we pulled up to the border, the guard asked how many knives we had, how many guns we had, how much booze, tobacco and ammunition. We told him and then pulled over to the side to go through the paperwork processing inside the building. After signing all the documents in their presence, as required, and listening to pissy remarks about us, we said, "Don't you need to know about our bows too?" The guy behind the counter came unglued because we hadn't told the guard at the gate that we had bows as well. When we said that the first guard only asked about guns and that is why we are mentioning it to him now, the guy behind the counter said (in pissy french Canadian accent) "We'll, is a bow not a weapon in your Country?" I guess saying "Yah, if your an Indian" was not probably the right response at the time.

Dirty Steve

hacksawfg

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    Hopefully not Genera
    Almost detained myself years ago going across the border to hunt. Had filled out all of the paperwork ahead of time, as required. When we pulled up to the border, the guard asked how many knives we had, how many guns we had, how much booze, tobacco and ammunition. We told him and then pulled over to the side to go through the paperwork processing inside the building. After signing all the documents in their presence, as required, and listening to pissy remarks about us, we said, "Don't you need to know about our bows too?" The guy behind the counter came unglued because we hadn't told the guard at the gate that we had bows as well. When we said that the first guard only asked about guns and that is why we are mentioning it to him now, the guy behind the counter said (in pissy french Canadian accent) "We'll, is a bow not a weapon in your Country?" I guess saying "Yah, if your an Indian" was not probably the right response at the time.

Dirty Steve

Serves you right for going to Quebec ;)

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Sounds more like stupidity than amnesia. I can understand riding a bike all day long and being tired, I've ridden several hundred thousand miles on bikes, been in 47 states and 7 Canadian provinces on bikes. I don't buy the story that he "forgot" the gun was there. You can't be that tired and still ride a motorcycle, sorry. Taking a firearm through a border crossing is going to be foremost in your mind when your talking to those guards and wondering how they will react, it's just not something you can forget. To me it sounds like he didn't think he would be searched, decided to chance it and decided not to declare it, and then when he realized he was going to be searched, he changed his mind and decided to mention it before the guards found it.

I never tried to carry a gun across the border when I was riding. For some reason, bikers get targetted for searches a lot more than other vehicles. I worried about bears myself when riding in the Canadian wilderness, my avatar shows one such encounter. Buy some mase and be real careful with your food. But unless your going up there to hunt with all the necessary paperwork, don't carry a gun across the border, either declared, and especially not undeclared.

Last edited:

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN

Dirty Steve

Pissy French Canadian explains a LOT (those French Canadians really don't like us very much - really don't like ANYBODY very much). :D

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Pissy French Canadian explains a LOT (those French Canadians really don't like us very much - really don't like ANYBODY very much). :D

True that. Still PO'ed over the "French and Indian War" I guess. You know it's not DNA or genetics that make them this way and here is how I know this to be true.

The French from "Acadia" i.e. the "Acadians" which after 100 years in Louisiana became know as "Cajuns" are some of the nicest people on Earth and will go out of their way to help folks. The one exception being the Hollywood version of Cajuns in "Southern Comfort".

Top Bottom