If your wife was raped, would you make her have the baby?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • speedsix

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 26, 2009
    fort wayne
    If your wife was brutally raped by some low life scumbag, would you insist that she carried the baby to full term and give birth to it? This is a serious question because this point was brought up by some politicians recently. I think personalizing it by making it your wife instead of some stanger is a more honest way of looking at things. Everyone is someone's wife, daughter or mother.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    It's not my choice to make. Not yours. Not Joe's. Not Dick. Not anyone but hers. I might have some input on her decision, but it would be her choice and her choice alone. Everyone else can go **** themselves.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    This thread won't last long. This is one subject that has no business on a gun discussion board. You will never change anyones mind.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    I wouldn't have to force my wife to keep it, she would make the moral descision on her own. She is more anit-infanticide than I am.

She is of the "2 wrongs never make a right" mindset.

SaintsNSinners

Shooter
    Rating - 94.1%
    16   1   0
    Mar 3, 2012
    At Work in Indy
    Maybe a way to overcome the shame anger and other feelings about the rape is to see the smile on another face when you make her wildest dreams come true, and bless her life with the child she never thought she would have.

Rape happened its bad
    you can either accept the bad and be stuck with it or perhaps outshine the bad with a perpetual good that endures.

What happened cant be undone but the situation will be defined by what is done afterwards.

Love conquers all.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I don't force my wife to do anything. However she shares my values and I am certain she would choose not to impose the death penalty upon a truly innocent life.

I'm not going to pretend that such an issue would not be painful, but if we determine our values based upon only how it affects "me" and not on principle....we have no principles.

Politically, this is a false issue. Does anyone really think that the pro-abortion crowd would support a ban on all abortion except rape, incest and to save the life of the mother? Of course not. Conversely, no matter their personal beliefs, I don't know of a pro-life person who would not accept a ban with those conditions simply because it will save lives.

speedsix

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 26, 2009
    fort wayne
    This thread won't last long. This is one subject that has no business on a gun discussion board. You will never change anyones mind.

Neither do most of the threads in the political forum. It's politics and recent politicians have made this question valid. I'm not trying to change anyone's mind by simply asking a question.

I think the responses so far illustrate why Mourdock's comments did not sit well with voters.

HollidaySlim

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    Central Indiana
    I like many others here cannot force my wife to do anything. That said I believe she would terminate the pregnancy and if she asked my opinion I would advise her to do the same.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    It is all about perspective.

Can you look at your soon to be stepchild (assuming your marriage survives the rape and pregnancy) and tell them that they should never have been born, are unloved, and unwanted?

As for Mourdock's comments: I feel that they were more about his religious beliefs than about "rape babies". Fortunately, we can't really get into that on this forum.

Note: I am playing Devil's Advocate here, and doubt I will contribute much more to this thread. This topic gets way to close to INGO's "line" for me.

Top Bottom