• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MDave

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 1, 2009
    Did you hear the one about the Bear and the Bunny Rabbit? The bunny was off in the woods doin his business when up walks this bear. Now I am sure the bunny did a little more business but then he froze, stock still. The bear looks at the bunny and notices what he was doing and he says. Tell me Mr. Bunny, do you have any trouble with your business sticking to your fur when you are done?

Still in shock from the bear it takes Mr. Bunny a few seconds to to respond. Nnnnno Mmmmr. Bbbbbear. I don't have any trouble at all with that. As you can see my fur is soft and supple. Why I bet I have the softest fur in the whole forest.

So the Bear picked up the Bunny Rabbit and wiped hit tail with him...

Seriously though, it the M249 is already taken I would go for an SKS or AK carbine. I think you would want lots of opportunities (rounds), a good heavy round, and hopefully enough swing to be able to bring the carbine to bare on the bear...

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Ruger Alaskan chambered in .480

Total fail. A family friend that is a long time guide in AK suggests that on revolvers for bears you have both the hammer and front sight bobbed. That way it wont hurt as much when the bear shoves it up your ass.

We have Black bears here and we keep shotguns loaded with slugs. Buckshot is like a handful of 9mm, no thanks, and truly useless if the bear is on a dog or human or even just running towards one. Last spring a local woman used a 12 gauge to save her husband. It didn't kill the bear but it stopped the attack. FYI the bear was on the guy and she did not know how to use the shotgun so she picked it up and butt stroked the huge bear with it. Then they managed to get inside, meanwhile the bear sat on their front porch, waiting for the DNR to come save them. Teach your family how to shoot, the life you save may be your own.

I even keep a shotgun with slugs in the truck so I have one outside as well. We all carry handguns, but lets face it, those are for when you are getting chewed on. If you really think you will be lucky enough to stop a charging bear with one well placed shot from a handgun.................well whatever floats your boat. Logic says a revolver may be most reliable when being chewed on in mud, snow or rain. We will probably add more dedicated revolvers for yard work and walks in the park.

You are more likely to have a true run in during early Spring when they are hungry or Fall when they are fattening up for winter so a reliable gun in bad weather is important.

A cheap .semi auto .308 or similar caliber is not a bad door gun either. I also keep my Hastings rifled slug barrel on one 870 with a 1.5x scope. Basically a short range 50 cal and I already own it so why not?

Last edited:

Redskinsfan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Total fail. A family friend that is a long time guide in AK suggests that on revolvers for bears you have both the hammer and front sight bobbed. That way it wont hurt as much when the bear shoves it up your ass.

We have Black bears here and we keep shotguns loaded with slugs. Buckshot is like a handful of 9mm, no thanks, and truly useless if the bear is on a dog or human or even just running towards one. Last spring a local woman used a 12 gauge to save her husband. It didn't kill the bear but it stopped the attack. FYI the bear was on the guy and she did not know how to use the shotgun so she picked it up and butt stroked the huge bear with it. Then they managed to get inside, meanwhile the bear sat on their front porch, waiting for the DNR to come save them. Teach your family how to shoot, the life you save may be your own.

I even keep a shotgun with slugs in the truck so I have one outside as well. We all carry handguns, but lets face it, those are for when you are getting chewed on. If you really think you will be lucky enough to stop a charging bear with one well placed shot from a handgun.................well whatever floats your boat. Logic says a revolver may be most reliable when being chewed on in mud, snow or rain. We will probably add more dedicated revolvers for yard work and walks in the park.

You are more likely to have a true run in during early Spring when they are hungry or Fall when they are fattening up for winter so a reliable gun in bad weather is important.

A cheap .semi auto .308 or similar caliber is not a bad door gun either. I also keep my Hastings rifled slug barrel on one 870 with a 1.5x scope. Basically a short range 50 cal and I already own it so why not?

I disagree with the "total fail" as would the man in this article below. This is not hypothetical, is was an actual event.

Charging Bear Killed in Alaska -- Photo 2 | Field & Stream

The Ruger Alaskan saved his life.

mayor al

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    Floyd/Harrison Count
    In a fantesy Bear Attack, Give me a Browning MA-DEUCE and a 250 rd belt of 1 in 5 tracer/ball ammo...and a dependable feed-man armed with the new version of the M-79 to be the back up shooter. Have a Humvee facing away with doors open and a steady driver ready to haul us to safety if we blow the shot...

In reality (it ain't gonna ever happen this way) give me my Saiga with a 10 round slug-filled mag and my 44 mag SBH as a backup.

Kart29

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 10, 2011
    Black bear or grizzly bear?

I'd prefer to never get close enough to need a sidearm. For black bear I'd take my .35 Rem lever action with 190 grain hard cast.
    If grizzlies were in the area I'd want a Marlin Guide Gun in .45-70 or .450 marlin.

The couple of times I have been camping in black bear territory I've carried a little 870 jr. 12 ga. with 1 oz. Brenneke slugs. Cute little gun and better sectional density than a 12 ga. If I was carrying a 12 ga. for bear defense I'd definitely have it loaded with Terminator dangerous game slugs - no way would I have buckshot in it.

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    Ruger Alaskan chambered in .480

Just an FYI for all you 12ga shotgun loaded with slug fanboyz out there, the rounds in the pic are 400 gr hard cast which convert to .97oz, that chrono at 1,170 fps.

Kart29

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 10, 2011
    Yeah. But can you quickly deliver five accurate shots on target under a high stress situation? I couldn't - unless I could jam the gun inside the bear's mouth and start shooting. A shotgun is much easier to shoot accurately than one of those hand cannons - for me at least.

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    People who get eaten by Bears, need to be eaten by Bears. We moved into their Domain. They did not move into our domain. When they get to Indy, KC, NYC or LA, then the situation changes. The Bears are now in our domain.

So, I am sorry to you who are offended by my comments. I am a hunter as well as a War Time Killer, so don't tell me about needless killings.

Top Bottom