mp44-1.jpg

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    one of those handheld miniguns duh...
    Ever held a minigun in your hand? They aren't light...

70 lbs for the gun, plus 40 lbs for the drive battery, plus the weight of the can (standard sizes are 3k rounds and 4200 rounds). All that plus the 260 lb constant rearward recoil force means that this isn't hollywood, you aren't rambo, and it is physically impossible for the average human being to hand-wield a minigun.

BTW, in that movie, did you notice that he didn't go very far when shooting? That's because the power cable to the drive battery went down his leg and into the bushes...

nighthawk80

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Trafalger

70 lbs for the gun, plus 40 lbs for the drive battery, plus the weight of the can (standard sizes are 3k rounds and 4200 rounds). All that plus the 260 lb constant rearward recoil force means that this isn't hollywood, you aren't rambo, and it is physically impossible for the average human being to hand-wield a minigun.

BTW, in that movie, did you notice that he didn't go very far when shooting? That's because the power cable to the drive battery went down his leg and into the bushes...

Buzz kill!!!:D

revsaxon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plano, TX

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d84r8gMGxFQ[/ame]

Second segment he hand fires one :P

Juday

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 12, 2011
    Man, that's a tough one. It would be between a M249 and a MG42. Though, I'd probably give the edge to the MG42.

mg42_02.jpg

Sig

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2011
    HK-51A3 like this one, only integrally suppressed. Essentially an HK MP-5SD in .308

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABzaNPGwN6I&NR=1

Had one of those, without a suppressor. When shooting they seemed as loud as and a concussion as bad as a Ma Duece. Your head felt like it was hit with a rubber mallet lightly, leaving a slight headache. OK I am being a bit dramatic!

I did get into the habit of removing my watch for fear the crystal would crack, serious on that.

Abusive was an understatement. Hot to handle, flamethrower as in can not see what you are aiming at if shoulder fired, empty brass on the line hitting (I could think of other terms starting with burning) other shooters, I could go on!

It was my first but eventually sold it.

Would love to have tried a suppressed version.

Sig

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2011
    Officially, I am jealous.
    Jealous enough to move to Russia, no way, visit possibly.
    There are MIGS there to fly as well, could be a good trip.

Discussion on one of the other boards out there indicate the night scene may be 3:1 ratio of blanks to live ammo

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d84r8gMGxFQ&feature=relmfu[/ame]

Plinkuh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    Last edited:

Sig

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2011
    My dream is a Colt Monitor. Sadly I am sure it would mean a divorce.

400px-Colt_Monitor.jpg

imgres

Last edited:

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Discussion on one of the other boards out there indicate the night scene may be 3:1 ratio of blanks to live ammo
    That was my thought as well... seemed a lot like blanks to me. And on a mini-gun, unlike most of weapons, it will still function 100% on blanks because the power source for the "action" is external to the cartridges.

I just didn't want to keep arguing about it.

I only know what I was told when I went through the Joint Armorer's course and also the the mini-gun specific armorer's training. And that is that the gun produces a constant 260 lb rearward force for the recoil, which sounds about right considering that is putting around 60 rounds down-range per second... Although I cannot personally attest to this as I've never fired one off the mount... maybe I should try that next time I get the chance?

Top Bottom