• ...and so much more!
  • derrickgoins

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 23, 2009
    Westfield
    My first gun was a Glock 19. Have since switched it out for an M&P but honestly, I'd probably buy it again if the situation was the same. I bought it for $50 and a case of beer!

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    First handgun was an XD40, two tone with a green frame. I still really like it. My only regret is not buying things. Looking back I could have made some purchases happen that I chickened out on due to money. Oh well. They say its only a deal if you can afford it right? I did buy a 1918 luger for 500$ when I was between vehicles..... caught a bit of crap for that one.... Haha.

dmonsche

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2013
    I bought a keltec pf9. It was ok but I did have a few FTE's. I sold it a few months after buying my Xd9 service model.

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    Back in the 70's I had the chance to buy a box of 8 to 10 old guns that had 3 or 4 government issued 1911's in it for $500 for everything. Passed, and have kicked myself ever since.

cmr13

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 16, 2013
    Elkhart County
    My first gun was a SA XDm 9mm purchased new in November of 08. I wanted capacity, relatively inexpensive practice ammo(compared to .40 and .45), and yet a good defensive round as well. I don't regret my purchase so I don't ever intend to sell my XDm. However, if I had to do it all over again, I would go with a full size, steel 1911. A second gun purchase in .22lr would have followed soon after for training purposes. I made the mistake of shooting one of my dad's Kimbers. Once I got bit with the 1911 bug and felt the SA trigger in action, I find that polymer handguns just don't interest me very much any more. If I had to rank my trigger preference from first to last, it would be SA first, striker-fired second, and DA/SA a distant third.

This is kind of what my story is going to turn out to be. I was really wanting a SA XDm 3.8 compact, but then I visited JetGirl's shop and now I want (and will probably get) a 1911. And if I had gotten an XDm I probably would have gotten a .22 pistol after that. I'm hoping to buy a SA Loaded 1911 in April.

cmr13

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 16, 2013
    Elkhart County
    My first purchase was a brand-new blued Norinco 1911A1 in .45 ACP. I had spent several hundred dollars in modifications on it , as well. The weapon was a flawless shooter & very accurate. I eventually sold it & kind of regret selling it. However, knowing what I now know... If I could time travel, I would tell my less wise, younger self to spend those hundreds of dollars on a quality heirloom, such as a Colt Gold Cup.
    20+ years later, I finally have a Colt 1911 and wish I had bought one sooner. I will never buy any 1911 of lesser quality again.

Moral of the story: If you want a 1911... Save your money and buy a Quality 1911 that will increase in value & you would be proud to pass on to your children

I was thinking the same way you first did, but now I'm thinking more along the lines of your current thinking. A cheap 1911 would be nice, but a very nice one will be better from the start and will last longer.

handyman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    muncie
    Bought a used snubby smith 66 on my 18th birthday. Still carry it on an occasion today. (20+years later) The only one I like better is my officers 1911. no regrets at all!!

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    First purchase was a Sig P6 and still have it.... still love it, no regrets....

However, I would learn from a mistake a made when I was younger and bought my first AR at the Indy 1500, forgot to examine the firearm in detail, more specifically a failure to look at the mag well.... and .... wait for it... accidentally purchased a CA legal AR...Wow I felt like an idiot... Nothing a dremel and a file couldn't take care of though, but before I had privileged of butcherizing that insult, traded it for an Ithaca Model 37 (slamfire) and two 870 wingmasters. I have never regretted that deal and the person I traded to was as happy as could be.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    my own 1st purchase was a glock 34 (soon after they came out). I sold it and have since bought another one to replace it -- since I missed it so much.
    I've had other hand-me-down guns which were great.

My biggest lesson learned is in regards to carry guns. I've gone through a few and have currently settled on a shield in 9mm. My lesson learned is that THIN IS GOOD!! weight, caliber, round count, etc are important, but width is king in the CC world -- your mileage may vary.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    I'm also a firm believer of everyone's first (defensive) handgun being a full size, steel frame. I feel as if it gives a great platform to learn on. Low recoil, much more accurate than compacts, or subs, and they most all have safeties (something that I feel everyone new owner should get use to using).

Wow! You're the only one here besides me who has ever been quoted as saying new users should have safeties. I agree. I also agree about large, steel frames.

Top Bottom