If the republican primary were today, who would you vote for?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • If the republican primary were today, who gets your vote?

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I watched a few minutes of Trump's Mobile, AL rally tonight. And I gotta hand it to him, he knows how to work a crowd and has "it". He's not a small government, conservative but he keeps talking about trade, immigration, jobs, etc. and is cheer leading a sort of we can be great again theme and it seems to be resonating.

Morning in America worked for Reagan and it will work for Trump. Why? Because that is what people want in their hearts and are hearing it for someone they believe can deliver it. Now, it is just a matter of seeing whether Trump picks up the change as others candidates drop out, or whether one or more of the others pick up the change and pass him up.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    I can't help about thinking about this in microcosm. If you had two managers that you were considering for promotion, of equal effectiveness, but one is a bull-headed 'my way or the highway' type guy and the other was a quieter, effective team player who had good relations with his subordinates; who would you prefer to see move up the ladder. That's usually an easy choice to make.

That isn't an unreasonable point of view, but we aren't talking about selecting a Director of Customer Service at Comcast or a Produce Manager at Kroger. Part of good hiring is knowing the responsibilities of the role and the stage that employee will be on when performing the role, as well as who they will be engaging internally and externally for your organization.

The President is arguably on the biggest stage in the world and his decisions will impact friend, foe and neutral alike. It will impact those not yet born, in fact. The last thing I want in a potential President in 2016 is someone who is a quiet, effective, team player. I want a leader.

We are past the point of getting along. 18 TRILLION IN DEBT!!! MILLIONS OF PEOPLE WALKING ACROSS THE BORDER LIKE IT IS THE ENTRANCE TO DISNEYLAND!!! We need a my way or the highway...that is the damn baseline of what we need. The people in D.C. (both R and D) are not there to make a chocolate cake or to accept a return on our lawn mower. The are ****ing us left and right and someone needs to say that with some indignation, not in a ****ing library whisper-like voice.

:twocents:

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    That isn't an unreasonable point of view, but we aren't talking about selecting a Director of Customer Service at Comcast or a Produce Manager at Kroger. Part of good hiring is knowing the responsibilities of the role and the stage that employee will be on when performing the role, as well as who they will be engaging internally and externally for your organization.

The President is arguably on the biggest stage in the world and his decisions will impact friend, foe and neutral alike. It will impact those not yet born, in fact. The last thing I want in a potential President in 2016 is someone who is a quiet, effective, team player. I want a leader.

We are past the point of getting along. 18 TRILLION IN DEBT!!! MILLIONS OF PEOPLE WALKING ACROSS THE BORDER LIKE IT IS THE ENTRANCE TO DISNEYLAND!!! We need a my way or the highway...that is the damn baseline of what we need. The people in D.C. (both R and D) are not there to make a chocolate cake or to accept a return on our lawn mower. The are ****ing us left and right and someone needs to say that with some indignation, not in a ****ing library whisper-like voice.

:twocents:

What makes a man a leader? I would say some of it is the ability to see the direction we need to go and the ability to move us in that direction. Who would be more effective at this? Someone who is abrasive and bullheaded and strikes sparks from everyone he crosses paths with? Not so much. That's why Ike had the extra star, not Patton or McArthur.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    Doesn't matter what they are now. The consideration is whether they can be effective at the next level.

So you tell me... who's most likely to succeed at the next level in a business - the billionaire businessman or the guy who who tries to get along with everybody? The guy with experience running large corporations and has seen a lot of success, as well as a couple failures he learned from, or the guy who doesn't have that experience?

Let me just say I've owned 3 companies myself, and this choice is easy to make. And it absolutely matters what they are now.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    What makes a man a leader? I would say some of it is the ability to see the direction we need to go and the ability to move us in that direction. Who would be more effective at this? Someone who is abrasive and bullheaded and strikes sparks from everyone he crosses paths with? Not so much. That's why Ike had the extra star, not Patton or McArthur.

It is most likely also the reason why Ike never had an actual combat command in his career.

Anyway, on to what I was originally going to post:

I believe that this may give Fiorina a bit of difficulty with some of the voters to whom she wishes to appeal.

Carly Fiorina Fails to Disavow Her Praise of Islam in Post 9/11 Speech, Pushes Conservatives Away | Restoring Liberty

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I can't help about thinking about this in microcosm. If you had two managers that you were considering for promotion, of equal effectiveness, but one is a bull-headed 'my way or the highway' type guy and the other was a quieter, effective team player who had good relations with his subordinates; who would you prefer to see move up the ladder. That's usually an easy choice to make.

Sorry to quote my own post, thought you might want to read it this time

So you tell me... who's most likely to succeed at the next level in a business - the billionaire businessman or the guy who who tries to get along with everybody? The guy with experience running large corporations and has seen a lot of success, as well as a couple failures he learned from, or the guy who doesn't have that experience?

Let me just say I've owned 3 companies myself, and this choice is easy to make. And it absolutely matters what they are now.

False choice. Reference original content with emphasis on 'equally qualified' as a descriptor. And if 'billionaire businessman' is such a must have characteristic for POTUS why not someone less douchey like Gates or Buffett

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    Now let's be fair. The Donald isn't a self made billionaire. Daddy done left him a empire ( 28,000 apts) In new York City and over 400,000,000.

Yes. Let's be fair. It was closer to 40 million, not 400. And He didn't sit around with his inheritance. He starts and runs companies. He's had success and failure in business. And today, the wealth he has, he built himself.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    Sorry to quote my own post, thought you might want to read it this time

False choice. Reference original content with emphasis on 'equally qualified' as a descriptor. And if 'billionaire businessman' is such a must have characteristic for POTUS why not someone less douchey like Gates or Buffett

Missed the part about "equal effectiveness." But that's a ridicous requirement anyway because no two people are ever the exact same.

olhorseman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Middle of nowhere NC
    Yes. Let's be fair. It was closer to 40 million, not 400. And He didn't sit around with his inheritance. He starts and runs companies. He's had success and failure in business. And today, the wealth he has, he built himself.
    Taking $1 and turning in into $10 is impressive. Taking $10 million dollars and turning it into $100 million is inevitable

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH

True
    "The late 1990s saw a resurgence in Trump's financial situation. The will of Trump's father, who died in 1999, divided an estate estimated at $250–$300 million dollars equally among his four surviving children (although the will was disputed by heirs of Trump's late brother)."

So $62 to 75 million is closer to 40 than 400 million. Still question that 'billionaire businessman' is somehow necessary or sufficient to be a good POTUS, but how about Leslie H Wexner if 'self-made' is really important. His net worth is an estimated $7.6 billion (2015) and he started his business with $5000 he borrowed from his Mom. Plenty of 'billionaire businessmen' who aren't self-aggrandizing blowhard RINOs

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I believe anyone can be President if they know their limitations and put the right people around them, for the right reason. For this reason, George Bush has always been one of my favorite Presidents. The guy was just humble and didn't need to be the smartest in the room. He had people who knew what they were doing and he let them do their jobs. At least, that's how it looked from the outside, looking in. I do not believe Trump has that ability. If Obama has been labeled narcissistic, Trump seems to trump him by a great deal. Who knows, maybe Trumps antics are all window dressing and he is really the best among the contenders. I just can't support him at this point, but that could change. It's too early to tell. He may be the only one who can beat Bernie, though.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I believe anyone can be President if they know their limitations and put the right people around them, for the right reason. For this reason, George Bush has always been one of my favorite Presidents. The guy was just humble and didn't need to be the smartest in the room. He had people who knew what they were doing and he let them do their jobs. At least, that's how it looked from the outside, looking in. I do not believe Trump has that ability. If Obama has been labeled narcissistic, Trump seems to trump him by a great deal. Who knows, maybe Trumps antics are all window dressing and he is really the best among the contenders. I just can't support him at this point, but that could change. It's too early to tell. He may be the only one who can beat Bernie, though.

I always felt Reagan did a good job on this, too. Bright, skilled people gave him options and he determined the direction the country would proceed and there was no doubt about who was in charge.

And if it comes down to Trump or the WickedWitch or LeninLight I'll hold my nose and vote for him

stchas

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Terrible Haute
    Early on I've got Cruz/Paul running neck and neck. I gave my vote to Cruz for this poll.

Donald Trump is making it fun to say the least but the fact that he is a serious candidate among gun owners is baffling. "I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record." He was for an AWB before he was "against" it.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    OUR first goal of this election is to get rid of the Status Quo and WIN back our rights and eliminate these "entitlements" (Love to figure out who coined that moniker)
    Which candidate can hold their own against the MSM and outright lies of the Democratic Party?
    The "Undecided" will decide the election as both parties are pretty evenly matched as usual.
    To win this election the Republican candidate will have to bow to some of the Social Programs, leave Social Security alone for the older vote, come up with a compassionate but fair immigration stance, and yet still appeal to the Constitutionalists and Old Club Republicans. The moderates will most likely be the determining voice. I see the general population tired of both ends of the sh.t stick.
    Trump will win this Presidential Election. (FOR HILLARY). Trump reminds me of someone......Charles Barkley
    For the Candidates...
    DON'T offend those that are "different" by any means. That will get your wanker whacked by the liberal media for sure. God can take care of himself so PLEASE watch the mouths, the Tea Party slander will be rising again very soon sp be prepared, DON'T go eliminating the Debt in 5 years either.
    Be a smart politician and Don't go Murdoch.
    It's going to take plenty of $$$ to keep up with the onslaught.
    Play dirty as those are the rules you'll have to play by to stay in the game. Please come up with a good reply to "Those same old practices that got us into this mess originally".
    The lower taxes means more employment thing is a bit old in politics. "Cut Government" means a loss of jobs btw. Think ahead and play a good Chess Game from start to finish.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    "Cut Government" means a loss of jobs btw.

Cut government takes in more than one interpretation. Handing out a few million pink slips on 1/20/2017 isn't necessarily a good idea as you appear to suggest. I would argue that using the intervening time to get a very solid grasp of which federal jobs and associated functions are necessary, which are good but optional, and which are specifically not good (i.e., at a practical level exist to harass citizens or waste money) should be the first priority. After that, similarly evaluate the personnel involved. Improve the efficiency of the necessary functions and the good functions, repurpose good people in jobs which are deleterious to constitutional government, and shuck some dead weight. Machiavelli would have argued for dumping people en masse up front, but he also operated within the context of a much smaller type of government, even if it were authoritarian in nature. When you stand to cause shockwaves in the national economy, a gentler touch is required, but that doesn't mean that the job can't be done. At the end of the day, while in transition, some of the government employees who need pink slips would serve us better being paid to do nothing than being on the job manufacturing problems.

MisterChester

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    The Compound
    Cut government takes in more than one interpretation. Handing out a few million pink slips on 1/20/2017 isn't necessarily a good idea as you appear to suggest. I would argue that using the intervening time to get a very solid grasp of which federal jobs and associated functions are necessary, which are good but optional, and which are specifically not good (i.e., at a practical level exist to harass citizens or waste money) should be the first priority. After that, similarly evaluate the personnel involved. Improve the efficiency of the necessary functions and the good functions, repurpose good people in jobs which are deleterious to constitutional government, and shuck some dead weight. Machiavelli would have argued for dumping people en masse up front, but he also operated within the context of a much smaller type of government, even if it were authoritarian in nature. When you stand to cause shockwaves in the national economy, a gentler touch is required, but that doesn't mean that the job can't be done. At the end of the day, while in transition, some of the government employees who need pink slips would serve us better being paid to do nothing than being on the job manufacturing problems.

Who would decide which jobs to axe? Anyone with self-interests (lawmakers) would make the decision process inherently corrupt. They would all stand to lose something, but are too worried about reelection than the needed cuts.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Early on I've got Cruz/Paul running neck and neck. I gave my vote to Cruz for this poll.

Donald Trump is making it fun to say the least but the fact that he is a serious candidate among gun owners is baffling. "I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record." He was for an AWB before he was "against" it.

Yeah, that is surprising to me, too. I don't even recall when Trump became a Republican, but he is the flavor of the day.

Top Bottom