• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

GJ1981

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    I don't have to visit any range to know that there are MANY modern designs that are superior to a low capacity 98 year old design for serious use. For gun games at the range? Yeah, 1911's are pretty sweet for that. Even a trained monkey can hit the 10 ring with a hair trigger and a 5" barrel. I'm not into games, though. My guns are for serious use.

Although the OP is full of doo-doo regarding the 1911 being superior because the military used it, he does have a point regarding serious use of sidearms in general. The 1911 design is still in use in very limited numbers, but the vast majority of police/military units use something more reliable with greater capacity. Not just Glocks, but Sigs, HKs, Berettas and other weapons.

8 or 9 rounds of .45 in a sometimes reliable platform vs. 16 rounds of 9mm in a G19 or 13 rounds of 357 or 40 in a Sig P226 or HK USP? Or 13 rounds of 45 in a G21, XD or HK USP? Pffft. No contest.

Then again, my guns are tools. Not objects of unbridled lust and he-man fantasy.

As I said...otherwise all I'm hearing is :lala:

Yes, military and LE do choose other platforms, BUT some still pick the 1911. Whether YOU like it or not doesn't mean it isn't capable. Why would the FBI SWAT pick a 1911 when they could pick anything they wanted? It sure as hell was not about money.

Serious use? I guess everyone has their own definition.

I won't deny most modern pistols are great, but I will not dismiss old pistols simply because my preference.

Good myth too on show, I know Glock owners who treat them as safe queens. But I suppose they day I spend the money on SOMEONE ELSE'S firearm choice I can criticize their choice.

As I've said over and over...MY Glock 21 was a POS...even a die hard Glock fan saw it and couldn't deny it.

GJ1981

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    I think we are going to have to have a official or unofficial INGO 1911 vs G17/19 (or even 26) reliability challenge.

Closest thing I have to NIB is a 19 with a 100 rounds through it.

I am willing to run one of my pistols if that's what it takes...I will donate at least a couple hundred rounds (maybe more if someone wants to chip in some $$) rounds and if I can get some other ingo members to go in on some 9mm ammo to help the challenge I will do it.

How about a 750 round challenge?

There will have to be someone video taping at least to get it documented as well as a little respect for the winning gun.

There I put up.....

If this is what it will take to settle this argument until next week when the same BS comes up.

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    I don't have to visit any range to know that there are MANY modern designs that are superior to a low capacity 98 year old design for serious use.
    It looks like you have your mind made up. Never mind testing your ideas to see if they are true. Just go with it.

For gun games at the range? Yeah, 1911's are pretty sweet for that. Even a trained monkey can hit the 10 ring with a hair trigger and a 5" barrel. I'm not into games, though. My guns are for serious use.

So, what about all of us who train and practice and carry 1911's for our defense. That qualifies as "serious use." But you are right. It takes much more skill to hit with a long, nasty, gorilla trigger and a short barrel.

Although the OP is full of doo-doo regarding the 1911 being superior because the military used it, he does have a point regarding serious use of sidearms in general. The 1911 design is still in use in very limited numbers, but the vast majority of police/military units use something more reliable with greater capacity. Not just Glocks, but Sigs, HKs, Berettas and other weapons.

You say the OP is full of doo-doo for crediting 1911's for their military usage but you use the same argument for other platfroms for their "police/military" use. What does that say about you? The military dropped the 1911 because they wanted to go to a NATO caliber. It has nothing to do with superiority.

8 or 9 rounds of .45 in a sometimes reliable platform vs. 16 rounds of 9mm in a G19 or 13 rounds of 357 or 40 in a Sig P226 or HK USP? Or 13 rounds of 45 in a G21, XD or HK USP? Pffft. No contest.

If you need more then 9 rounds you are in trouble. This isn't the military or police work. I don't need to sustain long fire fights with the bad guys. The vast majority of shooting are over in under 5 rounds. If you are facing enough armed bad guy that you would need 16 rounds or are a poor enough shot that you need 16 rounds you are going to die. If I ever face enough bad guys where I need more then 9 rounds or am a poor enough shot that I need 9 rounds I am going to die. If I were to ever need more then 9 rounds I have a trick I have been working on. I thought I might try taking out the empty magazine and put in a new one.

Then again, my guns are tools. Not objects of unbridled lust and he-man fantasy.

That is unlikely. You are a glock guy.:laugh: Darn, I forgot the disclaimer again.

Last edited:

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    It'd be great, and fun, to run a XD, Glock, 1911 750 round test.

All factory, mags, barrel, parts.

New, out of the box. (I've got a G19 with just 30 rounds through it)

Same ammo in each.
    Powerball, Federal, PMC, Blazer, Glaser. ----HPs, ball ammo, dual metallic etc.

I think it would be very educational.

My dad has a professional grade cannon, mount and its digital.

sporter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southern, Indiana
    It'd be great, and fun, to run a XD, Glock, 1911 750 round test.

All factory, mags, barrel, parts.

New, out of the box. (I've got a G19 with just 30 rounds through it)

Same ammo in each.
    Powerball, Federal, PMC, Blazer, Glaser. ----HPs, ball ammo, dual metallic etc.

I think it would be very educational.

My dad has a professional grade cannon, mount and its digital.

Mettle,
    Let's go easy on the 1911's. There's no way there going to feed hollow points on a torture test!! :laugh:

So far we have 2 "Glock" guys who are willing to put up yet I don't really see a legitimate offer from the 1911 clan.

GJ1981

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    So far we have 2 "Glock" guys who are willing to put up yet I don't really see a legitimate offer from the 1911 clan.

Read my signature...the offer has been on the table for weeks, yet I have to type it to get any takers.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom