• Status
    Not open for further replies.

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    If Glock installed a manual safety on their firearms, I'd bet they'd certainly be in the running for military contracts.

But since they don't offer a manual safety...they're not invited to play.

Game over.

-J-

Exactly. The M9 Berratta is in play b/c of the double action trigger and manual safety. Period.

If Glock implemented these design features, they'd be in use.

Here goes another thread ...:popcorn:

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    XDs aren't considered for a firearm due to being made in Croatia (besides, they suck) as we can't rely on someone like that during a time of war.

i didnt know that. very interesting. are all of SA guns imported? i had heard the nicer 1911s are made in the US and the GI/Milspec in Brazil.

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    Also, if your 1911s are THAT good, why don't Kimbers run out of the box WITHOUT FAIL!? Or at all for that matter.... $1400 for a handgun that won't one the first mag completely through. Glocks will. ($500)

sporter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southern, Indiana
    I find it funny that the 1911 crowd worships the gun like it is faultless, yet there is post right now on the forum essentially about how to make your 1911 work like it's suppose to! LMFAO!!!

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    The Beretta M9 was chosen (twice) as the US issue sidearm because we wanted cruise missile bases in Italy. Politicians don't know or care about choosing the best equipment. They don't know how to fight or win a war. But they know how to dance and look good. Sporter, if a 1911 (or any pistol) doesn't work 100% right out of the box, it has nothing to do with the design. It has everything to do with cheap manufacturing and poor quality control. I have seen a number of Kimbers that were defective out of the box. And Colts. And S&W products. And Berettas. It is not the name or the design. It's sloppy high volume manufacturing by corporate idiots with marketing degrees who don't care.

Last edited:

rmcrob

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2008
    Plainfield
    I know we've been over it a hundred times, but why does anyone care what another person shoots? Why are we continually seeing this competitive chest beating over guns? Why can't we all just shrug it off? There's no accounting for taste.

Man, I once worked with a guy who was into big, big women. And I mean big. He would drive around the block to get another look at a woman of his favorite body type. Never one time did I try to talk him out of his love for these gals. I didn't share it, but I was willing to let him have his fun.

And I don't recall that he ever tried to convince me about what I was missing. We were content to be friends and have different tastes.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    The Beretta M9 was chosen (twice) as the US issue sidearm because we wanted cruise missile bases in Italy.

Ding ding ding! Now I don't have to bring up the political angle.

If it wasn't for the politics, we may have very well been using the Ruger P89 as our standard issue sidearm for some years.

POTI

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Jeff Cooper carried a 1911 in .45 caliber, a CZ-75 in 9mm and a Bren Ten in 10mm.

So those have to be the best three guns in those calibers!

:)

GJ1981

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    I'm just wishing there could be a handgun thread that doesn't end up bashing Glocks. And this one STARTED OUT that way, in the title.

:crying::crying: Read the first thread...it was a Glock owner who began it all. I guess some people can dish it out but can't receive

I find it funny that the 1911 crowd worships the gun like it is faultless

I find it more comical how Glock owners do the same...

Perfection (IME)

Glock 30 Broken slide stop round 20 numerous FTF's in 100 rounds
    Glock 23 3 FTF's in the first mag
    Glock 21 Frame cracked approx 450 rounds.

I am not brand loyal to any firearm...I'm not narrow minded like some people obviously are.

GJ1981

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Also, if your 1911s are THAT good, why don't Kimbers run out of the box WITHOUT FAIL!? Or at all for that matter.... $1400 for a handgun that won't one the first mag completely through. Glocks will. ($500)

Put up or shut up...come to my range, I'll run my GI or any 1911 against your Glock.

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    It looks like the glock guys have finished licking their wounds from the last round and are getting riled up again. Whether you appreciate the "bashing" or not people have made it very clear why they don't like glocks so why are you guys dumbfounded when someone reiterates it? Plus, it's no worse then the 1911 "they're only reliable with hardball" myths or all the others just like them that glock guys are so fond of. It just happens to be the glock guys that are always getting worked up.

Edit: Sorry, I didn't respond to the OP. The military doesn't use glocks because they don't want any more explosions on the battlefield.:D

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    Put up or shut up...come to my range, I'll run my GI or any 1911 against your Glock.

Even an out of the box brand new one?

Interestingly, I had 2 light primer strikes and 1 fail to return to battery with my G19 last year in a pistol course. I was shooting Brown Bear in it, and don't know when I had cleaned it before the class...

The two 1911 I've had needing TLC to get them running. I sold them before trying HPs or any type of non-ball ammo in them. Too much trouble and effort. Not to mention buying better aftermarket mags for them, to make them run better.
    :twocents:

GJ1981

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Even an out of the box brand new one?

Interestingly, I had 2 light primer strikes and 1 fail to return to battery with my G19 last year in a pistol course. I was shooting Brown Bear in it, and don't know when I had cleaned it before the class...

The two 1911 I've had needing TLC to get them running. I sold them before trying HPs or any type of non-ball ammo in them. Too much trouble and effort. Not to mention buying better aftermarket mags for them, to make them run better.
    :twocents:

I do not own a NIB right now...I have a SA Pro on order I'll gladly put up for testing when it shows up.

What is TLC? That is a vague definition...

ETA - Like my signature says...I'll run any pistol I own against anything. If I lose then I will have learned something new, and if not maybe someone else will.

sporter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southern, Indiana
    I think we are going to have to have a official or unofficial INGO 1911 vs G17/19 (or even 26) reliability challenge.

Closest thing I have to NIB is a 19 with a 100 rounds through it.

I am willing to run one of my pistols if that's what it takes...I will donate at least a couple hundred rounds (maybe more if someone wants to chip in some $$) rounds and if I can get some other ingo members to go in on some 9mm ammo to help the challenge I will do it.

How about a 750 round challenge?

There will have to be someone video taping at least to get it documented as well as a little respect for the winning gun.

There I put up.....

Last edited:

Agent 007

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2009

I don't have to visit any range to know that there are MANY modern designs that are superior to a low capacity 98 year old design for serious use. For gun games at the range? Yeah, 1911's are pretty sweet for that. Even a trained monkey can hit the 10 ring with a hair trigger and a 5" barrel. I'm not into games, though. My guns are for serious use.

Although the OP is full of doo-doo regarding the 1911 being superior because the military used it, he does have a point regarding serious use of sidearms in general. The 1911 design is still in use in very limited numbers, but the vast majority of police/military units use something more reliable with greater capacity. Not just Glocks, but Sigs, HKs, Berettas and other weapons.

8 or 9 rounds of .45 in a sometimes reliable platform vs. 16 rounds of 9mm in a G19 or 13 rounds of 357 or 40 in a Sig P226 or HK USP? Or 13 rounds of 45 in a G21, XD or HK USP? Pffft. No contest.

Then again, my guns are tools. Not objects of unbridled lust and he-man fantasy.

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    As I mentioned before, they do. You just don't here about it.
    LOL, it was a joke. Attention all glock bashers. I think we are going to have to add a disclaimer to our posts. Something that gives the glock guys plenty of advanced notice that we are about to make a glock joke.

ABN82

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    LOL, it was a joke. Attention all glock bashers. I think we are going to have to add a disclaimer to our posts. Something that gives the glock guys plenty of advanced notice that we are about to make a glock joke.

Maybe I need to use the smilies or something. I didn't take your post as serious as you're making it to be. :rolleyes:

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom