• Status
    Not open for further replies.

IN_Varmntr

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    DeKalb County
    ...why aren't they currently being (or ever have been) used as the US Military sidearm? After all, that's what many people judge sidearms by these days. I'm sure the Military has tested them and found reasons why not to issue them.

Police use them, yes, but I doubt any Police-issued Glock (or any weapon for that matter) sees the punishment a deployed sidearm does.

:popcorn:

motivator2090987ccaf0ee4379e79c5263.jpg

1911InIraq97years.jpg

2356trp.jpg

I'm heading to work. :D

rmcrob

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2008
    Plainfield
    Hey, dude, if you don't like Glocks, don't use 'em. And please shut up about it. I promise, I won't make fun of your gun even if you use a super soaker. OK?

Indianajeff

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 9, 2009
    Indiana
    Military contracts go to the cheapest bidder. The cheapest bidder is not neccesarily the best weapon maker. If they wanted the best weapon, they'd issue Glocks.:D

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    If Glock installed a manual safety on their firearms, I'd bet they'd certainly be in the running for military contracts.

But since they don't offer a manual safety...they're not invited to play.

Game over.

-J-

theturtle06

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Denver, CO
    If Glock installed a manual safety on their firearms, I'd bet they'd certainly be in the running for military contracts.

But since they don't offer a manual safety...they're not invited to play.

Game over.

-J-

Based on the fact that the 1911 was the supreme sidearm for a long time and I have read several places that the grip safety was important, why wouldn't they consider the XD/XDm? Here we go again! :dunno::):

Agent 007

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2009
    ...why aren't they currently being (or ever have been) used as the US Military sidearm? After all, that's what many people judge sidearms by these days. I'm sure the Military has tested them and found reasons why not to issue them.

Police use them, yes, but I doubt any Police-issued Glock (or any weapon for that matter) sees the punishment a deployed sidearm does.

:popcorn:
    I'm heading to work. :D

So what you are saying is, the military always does the right thing. Which is why they finally threw the outdated, obsolete rattletrap 1911 in the garbage bin and replaced it with the far superior Beretta M9....in a better caliber, too! (9mm) Right. RIGHT?

:rolleyes:

By the way....special forces DO use the Glock, as a specialty weapon in underwater operations. A wide array of pistols are used by special forces, including the standard issue Sig P226 for the Navy Seals.

When Special Force Applies <------CLICK

Many Blackwater and other operators in Iraq prefer the Glock, due to it's simplicity and durability. Israeli special forces also deploy the Glock 17, although I'm sure that they haven't seen as much action as you and your 1911. :rolleyes: :):

Be careful at work. Let us know how many Tangos you encounter, commander. :laugh:

rmcrob

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2008
    Plainfield
    I'm just wishing there could be a handgun thread that doesn't end up bashing Glocks. And this one STARTED OUT that way, in the title.

JosephR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    NW IN
    Yeah, the OP's Taurus 1911 probably has seen less failures than my Glock in it's 240 rounds of use at the range over the last 3 years... ;)

XDs aren't considered for a firearm due to being made in Croatia (besides, they suck) as we can't rely on someone like that during a time of war.

Same thing goes for the Glock (except for the sucking part).

Berettas weren't made here until they were considered for a contract (correct me if I'm wrong). Probably the same reason FN M16s are made here too.

Don't label me as anything but a realist. I'm trying to sell my Glock actually.

Crimson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 24, 2008
    Columbus, Indiana
    Apparently you dont know the military very well. If they always chose the best, then why arent alot of things being used by the military would be the question. There can always be something that is better and it just doesnt get chosen for who knows what reason. Cost, durability, etc.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom