• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BillD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Greenwood
    I shot the Tri-State Regional down in Memphis yesterday. Very tough technical match. It was enjoyable though.

However, I managed to do a USPSA reload TWICE on the same COF, which cost me two procedurals. It was just plain automatic. I realized after I started shooting again what I had done but it was too late at that point. I've been shooting both all year and have done fairly well, for me.
    But a major match will really point out the differences in the sports. I started in IDPA and really bought into the "tactical training for a gunfight" mentality. I've put on two major IDPA matches. But you really see some silly things in some of the COF's. Such as, slicing the pie around cover, engaging 2 targets at 10-12 yds and your last target from that cover is 3 ft away. That's tactical.

And I like to go fast. I don't care for the tactical priority stuff, or even tactical sequence. I'll probably still shoot some IDPA locally but, except for the State Match coming up, I doubt I shoot too many major matches.

You guys have probably ruined me for IDPA by getting me into USPSA.

But that's OK, I've become a much better shooter by shooting USPSA. And as I said, I like to go fast, fast being a relative term.

notasccrmom

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2008
    south 'til you smell
    I like to go fast
    Ricky_Bobby_closeup.jpg

Nothing wrong with just wantin' to go fast! :D

...but seriously, I know where you are coming from on this. Your gun handling that you develop while "going fast" will serve you better in the long run than learning how to pie a corner.

msquared

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    This should get interesting! Welcome to the dark side Bill! Fast is fun.

I shoot both. My view is anything that improves your gun handling skills and your ability to think on your feet to solve a problem is benificial. No im never going to investigate a bump in the night in 12 seconds, but man its great on a sunday at the range! I have heard both sides stating "that will get you killed in the 'real world'". Cmon guys, they are both games!!! Both have rules and timers, neither have targets that shoot back!

Thanks for kicking this one open. I cant wait to see where this goes from here...

SC_Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Bloomington
    Cmon guys, they are both games!!! Both have rules and timers, neither have targets that shoot back!

I couldn't agree more. Both are games - not tactical training. Both do help improve gun handling skills and the ability to quickly get on target, but neither are substitutes for actual tactical training. Of course, I don't know of a single competitor who thinks it IS a good substitute. Typically those arguments come from people who don't compete.

Personally, I like shooting competitions...even when I get beaten handily by some of the others (you guys can stop beating me any time you'd like). I don't ever plan to clear my house in a few seconds either, but I still like to spend some Sundays shooting for Alpha Alphas.

BillD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Greenwood
    I got the games part. I don't really care about the other side of it. I understand it and used to believe it wholeheartedly but, for the most part if you can shoot well in either game, you are light years ahead of your average thug.

It's just that the rules are too different for me, (I mostly seem to run on automatic pilot when shooting) to be able to do both. And I get much more shooting at a USPSA match. But, the match I shot yesterday was very challenging. You had to crawl through a lot of the stages.

I thought I would be able to keep the rules straight but it's just not working out.

I'm not trying to stir a "our game is better than yours" debate and I hope it won't go there, and now that I'm thinking about it, maybe I shouldn't have mentioned it at all, but the top guys in both sports are great shooters.

I just had to pick one and chose the one that suits my shooting style or wants.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    From the IDPA rule book:

One of the unique facets of this sport is that it is geared toward the new
    or average shooter

It seems to be the natural progression that as you improve and feel the need for speed that you move on to uspsa. I don't think statement that hurts Bill Wilson's feelings any.

I never have problems transitioning between the two... you should have your reloads planned and markers identified for your shooting positions in either game. The biggest difference is in one you have to follow the required shooting order and in the other you do what ever you think is faster.

I've shot very little idpa since the '07 nats and have focused on uspsa... just my preference, not an implied criticism. So Bill, you are not alone, I'd bet for many of the same reasons.

-rvb

jakemartens

Master
    Rating - 96.1%
    99   4   0
    Aug 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Shot my last IDPA match in 2005........shot my first USPSA match in 2005

go figure

I have been thinking about shooting the upcoming Indiana State Match but I am no longer a member or classified. I still have my vest, although it may be a little tight!!

EatMeerkats

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2008
    I have been thinking about shooting the upcoming Indiana State Match but I am no longer a member or classified. I still have my vest, although it may be a little tight!!
    A problem easily solved by a Darth Vader costume... does the cape count as a concealment garment?

SC_Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Bloomington
    He can use the truth lasso to pull no-shoots out of the way during the stage. Heck, I think we should just spot him 1 1/2 seconds per stage for having the cajones to do it!

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Shot my last IDPA match in 2005........shot my first USPSA match in 2005

go figure

Is the vest a 2X? If so it will be tight.

jakemartens

Master
    Rating - 96.1%
    99   4   0
    Aug 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Is the vest a 2X? If so it will be tight.

It has some elastic in it, around the waist area....
    fits better than my Area 8 shirt.......

Now the 5.11's that I used to wear with the gamer built in knee pads, yeah those don't fit anymore.

It is illiegal now to have wieghted down and enlarged pockets (large enough to hold a gallon milk bottle) on your vest?
    What about having a piece of still cardboard or foam board sewn on the inside of the draw side of you vest?

I have a few things I will need to change it looks like.

Still have my gamer 7 round single stack mags around somewhere too.

Last edited:

geo2450

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2009
    USPSA and IDPA are both "games" and should be considered just that. I believe anyone who thinks differently should research FBI gunfight stats.
    If you know how to shoot, and shoot quickly, you will be ahead of the curve when and if it gets serious without a timer. If you want to be cabable of handling real world situations, get real world training.
    Just my thoughts so lets go shooting and have FUN !

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    If you want to be cabable of handling real world situations, get real world training.

These games are training. They teach proficient and efficient gun handling, rapid and accurate target engagement, and introduce stress into the shooting situation.

I'm not suggesting that these games will teach anyone everything they need to know. But I question anyone who dismisses the benefits of these games with practical roots.

Top Bottom