Idiot ran over my mailbox, ground is frozen, options?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Basically she snapped the wood 2x4 that supported the inside of the box/post assembly off right at ground level.

I'm guessing my only only option till the ground thaws is to use a 5 gallon bucket filled with concrete?

"In a hurry to watch the game"... uh-huh.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Seriously, you could probably rent a small auger pretty cheap.

I hate augers. I used one with 2 friends putting up a fence. Horrible! I also don't have a vehicle w/ a hitch right now (I'm fixing that when it warms up) so I can't do a hitch mounted one either. :(

I don't know the cost of a towable/hitch mounted one, but the two-man auger was about $80 for one day.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I'd probably just do the 5 gallon bucket of concrete for now and then do it proper in the spring. If it was truly an accident(snow or ice...not dui or playing on a phone) and she is a single mom, I'd probably at most let her pay for the mailbox and a cheap one would work. If she honestly couldn't afford it, I'd probably let it go. Not to let her off the hook but if her budget for food for her kids was going to be shorted by paying for damages, the kids would win.

PS. If she was dui, I probably would've beaten her with a frozen catfish I keep around just in case...unless she was hot, that would change things.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I'd probably just do the 5 gallon bucket of concrete for now and then do it proper in the spring. If it was truly an accident(snow or ice...not dui or playing on a phone) and she is a single mom, I'd probably at most let her pay for the mailbox and a cheap one would work. If she honestly couldn't afford it, I'd probably let it go. Not to let her off the hook but if her budget for food for her kids was going to be shorted by paying for damages, the kids would win.

PS. If she was dui, I probably would've beaten her with a frozen catfish I keep around just in case...unless she was hot, that would change things.

I believe it was an accident, stupidity mostly. Not a DUI though.

She's not poor by any means, but at the same time I try and be neighborly. I think I'll just do the bucket and concrete and put in a new one this spring.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in

5 gallon bucket idea works great.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Start a fire over the old spot and thaw the ground out. Then use a post hole digger.

Hmmm... I like the idea, not sure if the local PD will like it though.

I should just tell her to hire someone to do it, lol.

I don't know if I like the idea of a plastic bucket sitting out front for the next 2 months... maybe I'll spray paint it a neutral color... stupid subdivisions...

linkpimp

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    So-Cal ~ Huntington Beach
    I don't even know what to say.. But here are some pics I just ran outside and took for you..

It’s about 78 degrees.. I was actually thinking about going scuba diving later this afternoon.. ;)

IMG_9224.jpg

IMG_9225.jpg

You should see the view at the beaches. LOL..

So what's the weather like there?? any pics

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    OHIO
    just get 2 oversized band clamps and put it over the new piece and broken piece for a temp fix. tighten clamps should be good until it gets hit again

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    I don't even know what to say.. But here are some pics I just ran outside and took for you..

It’s about 78 degrees.. I was actually thinking about going scuba diving later this afternoon.. ;)

IMG_9224.jpg

IMG_9225.jpg

You should see the view at the beaches. LOL..

So what's the weather like there?? any pics

Born and raised in Huntington Beach. Went to college in SoCal.

I probably lived near you...

As others have said, the politics make Kommiefornia a tough place for freedom-loving individuals to live. My wife wants to move back... hell no.

I was actually a NAUI Asst. Dive Instructor in college and used to dive a lot. Usually went to Laguna Beach or Catalina/Channel Islands if using a boat.

Enjoy the great weather. But be careful not to strap that pistol to your waist, unless you are one of the lucky few to have a CCW.

Where do you live in HB?

Top Bottom