• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SkullDaddy.45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    0hio
    One of my long time customers is a Facebook friend, I own a boarding kennel, and she friended me long before I had a Facebook page for the kennel. I have been very vocal on Facebook about the Second Amendment for the past 2 months. She is a wonderful customer and is a smart liberal, but I was floored today when she called and made a reservation for her dog and asked me “You are not going to shoot my dog are you”? I was speechless at first and told her that I was the same person now as I was 15 years ago when I spent the night at the Emergency Vet with her other dog that fell ill because of some new medication he was on. So no, I would never do anything to harm her pet! She said that “she had no idea I had guns back then” in which I replied, does it really matter?

I explained to her that I owned guns then same as I do now. I explained that I am not the threat or the enemy, I purchased mine legally with background checks, have my license to carry issued to me by the state through the Sheriff after an FBI check, my guns are properly secured, I have received safety and shooting training, and that I would be the one willing to stop the bad guy pointing a gun at her if I were present and possibly take a bullet for her.

I told her I respected her views and will not even attempt to sway her, and that I appreciate her right to have them, however just because I own a gun (or multiple guns) does not change how I would take care of her pet and that her question “You are not going to shoot my dog” after knowing me and being a customer of mine for over 15 years was the most idiotic question from an intelligent person I have ever been asked!

Just thought I would share because I was FLOORED!

PS, I know I shouldn’t have customers as Facebook friends!
    I would of handled it the same way. Then i would of shot her dog!:ar15:its purple people, just kidding!You handled it perfectly:yesway:

jballs

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2013
    I gotta wonder if she was just trolling you. If she was serious, then I feel very sorry for her.

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    I think you handled the question well. Some people are strongly influenced by the news and what they read in the 10 second summaries. There is a lot of negative news out there right now.

Archer46176

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 21, 2012
    South East of Indy
    When I owned my small slaughterhouse and retail meat shop I had someone ask me.how the animals were killed. I told them generally with a .22 rifle unless it was a buffalo then I used a .44 magnum as I had a very bad experience with a .22 and a buffalo. She said you mean GUNS right??? I said yes, to which she said well if I knew.that was the way it was done I would have never started bring you my animals or buying meats from you. I asked how she wouldnlike the animals to be KILLED and she said she thought we gave them shots to put them to sleep like a vet.
    I explained to her that if she didnt want the hormones from shots and such(i raised grass fed only beef) she would NOT want the shots that cause an animal to "go to sleep". She really freaked out when I told her we shocked the hogs. She huffed and left but came.back.when.she found out most other places did the same thing. I had a bolt gun that used blanks to fire a large spike into the brain but I hated it and never used it.
    One large hog only processor near me did.use a CO2 drop floor. Several hogs would.be lowered into a pit filled with CO2 and then hung and bled out before scalding ect...
    Some people.just dont get it...

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    One of my long time customers is a Facebook friend, I own a boarding kennel, and she friended me long before I had a Facebook page for the kennel. I have been very vocal on Facebook about the Second Amendment for the past 2 months. She is a wonderful customer and is a smart liberal, but I was floored today when she called and made a reservation for her dog and asked me “You are not going to shoot my dog are you”? I was speechless at first and told her that I was the same person now as I was 15 years ago when I spent the night at the Emergency Vet with her other dog that fell ill because of some new medication he was on. So no, I would never do anything to harm her pet! She said that “she had no idea I had guns back then” in which I replied, does it really matter?

I explained to her that I owned guns then same as I do now. I explained that I am not the threat or the enemy, I purchased mine legally with background checks, have my license to carry issued to me by the state through the Sheriff after an FBI check, my guns are properly secured, I have received safety and shooting training, and that I would be the one willing to stop the bad guy pointing a gun at her if I were present and possibly take a bullet for her.

I told her I respected her views and will not even attempt to sway her, and that I appreciate her right to have them, however just because I own a gun (or multiple guns) does not change how I would take care of her pet and that her question “You are not going to shoot my dog” after knowing me and being a customer of mine for over 15 years was the most idiotic question from an intelligent person I have ever been asked!

Just thought I would share because I was FLOORED!

PS, I know I shouldn’t have customers as Facebook friends!

Food for thought (not directed specifically to you OP): I wouldn't justify ownership/possession/carry in these terms. It sets up the premise that they are the only legitimate terms for ownership/possession/carry.

A simple "I am not the criminal and owning firearms doesn't suddenly change the person I am or the values I hold."

Liberty1911

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2012
    I would have said "Hold on a sec, let me put one of my guns on the phone. Since guns are the problem, it's probably best to ask the gun directly. I don't want to get caught in the middle of this".

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    I gotta wonder if she was just trolling you. If she was serious, then I feel very sorry for her.

I would say probably not. If you watch TV, listen to conversations, etc. you have to have noticed that today people are more vocal about guns in the public. Thanks to all the govt. and media brainwashing, IMO, many people that were neutral before have now swayed to the anti-gun side and might now see guns as deadly tools with no real purpose in civilian hands.

My co-worker, whom I thought only got his license and gun because the boss got his, showed his true colors at a safety meeting. When the IOSHA rep asked why we wear the bright reflective vests, my co-worker quickly blurted out, "to keep from getting shot by all the people with guns".

It's on everyones minds and I think we will continue to have confrontations like the OP's as long as the media continues to flood the news with every gun related event happening at this time.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    Cudos for keeping your cool. A 15-year relationship doesn't get tossed over board lightly.

I'm lucky. Work with DoD. Seldom have this problem. However, I also work with academia and often get misinformation out of the mouths of some really otherwise intelligent people. GIGO.

TTravis

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Plainfield / Mooresville
    Nothing builds customer relationships like inviting them over to go shooting or hunting.

To the true "anti", we are like foreigners to them. They live in their own little protected world and you are the probably their first experience of actually talking to a gun owner. They really don't know what to think of until they get to know us. How we act and respond will greatly shape their opinions. It's just another stereotype.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I actually had a co-worker make a similar comment to my boss's boss once. They were having trouble with a customer and said "maybe Ryan can go get his gun and shoot them."

Good grief.

If that is what you really think of me, I'm deeply offended. If that was a joke, it was in poor taste.

Some folks just don't have a concept that an honest, hard-working, and other wise great person can also own a gun (or 10). Especially when SO MANY folks that meet those criteria own guns. They just can't connect the dots.

I've gone shooting with the above co-worker's husband. They have several guns in the house. She would be HORRIFIED if I asked if SHE or her husband were murderers.

findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    Wow! My neighbor's dog howls incessantly. I love dogs, but.......
    If I convince him to use your kennel would you shoot him for me (my neighbor not the dog). I think you could get away with it because I would have an obvious motive, but you would not. There's a groupon in it for you. Whadddoyasay?

hfdcowboy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Wow... All i can say is what happend to life, liberty, and the pursit of happiness? If not owning firearms makes you happy then by all means pusue it. If the opposite is true then purse your happiness. I don't get why another pearson having different views from my own should effect my life or my happiness.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Wow... All i can say is what happend to life, liberty, and the pursit of happiness? If not owning firearms makes you happy then by all means pusue it. If the opposite is true then purse your happiness. I don't get why another pearson having different views from my own should effect my life or my happiness.

That is what Libs are all about. They are smarter than you so it is to your benefit to follow their suggestions on how to live your life while they do as they please.

Top Bottom