• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Did it right, or wrong? (This should be interesting)

• Total voters

tmccorkel

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    Chesterton
    ^ THAT is the one down-side of internet forums. There's always someone looking for a fight. OP posted about an experience. If people want to debate the topic of mag v. clip, open a thread about proper use of the words. Geez!

jbrooks19

Expert
    Rating - 96.9%
    30   1   1
    Nov 15, 2011
    Kokomo
    I realize they arent exactly the same thing, but the terms are often used to describe one another.. So i guess i need to watch my terminology or people will get all defensive and bent out of shape!! Lol

ryanbr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Logansport
    Today in Logansport i was at the gas station, just went in for a coke.. I came out and as i was about to get in my car a guy walked out from behind the gas station and said "Give me your money and i wont hurt you"......
    I was thinking who does this douche bag think he is?............... So i instantly drew my Glock out and yelled step back, his eyes got HUGE :n00b: and he backed up, as soon as i got my phone out to call the police he took off running.. Glad i had my Glock!!!!

I live in Logansport area, what station was this? Doesnt surprise me to hear this happening in Logansport. Hope you went ahead and reported it tho! Glad it turned out ok for you!

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I realize they arent exactly the same thing, but the terms are often used to describe one another.. So i guess i need to watch my terminology or people will get all defensive and bent out of shape!! Lol

You took a big risk even posting at all, there's lots of armchair quarterbacking that goes on with these threads. It happens everywhere, not just on the net. I'm involved with SAR and have to post mission reports and you should see the commentary that draws.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    What did you do when you saw the magazine at your feet? Do you carry a spare magazine? If so, did it cross your mind to reload with it?

The spare magazine was still attached to the holster (old style Uncle Mikes, with a mag pouch that lays atop and parallel to the slide, with a velcro tab to secure it), so I knelt down slowly and felt with my left hand until I found the magazine and then re-inserted it into my gun. If I had been faced with a violent criminal, I don't know what would have happened. He may never have noticed. He may have burst out laughing. He may have attacked me, surmising incorrectly that my pistol was equipped with a magazine disconnect. Fortunately, it didn't matter one bit in this circumstance, but I learned a few lessons from it:
    1. My grip was susceptible to engaging the mag release, and needed adjustment.
    2. Extra magazines (for me) belong on the weak side hip, rather than attached conveniently to the holster on your strong side hip which requires a clumsy (for me) cross body reach.
    3. I don't like magazine disconnects.
    4. When backpacking, I now carry with a holster that attaches to my weak side front shoulder harness strap, not on my hip where the backpack hip belt is in the way.

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    Clips load rounds into magazines, magazines load rounds into the breech of the weapon.
    An SKS takes clips since the magazine is by default internalized and attached to the weapon. A Glock takes magazines. A revolver does neither. This has been another exciting episode of 'Clips Versus Mags' the never-ending non-story.

In all seriousness, you did quite well. The only thing for which I fault you is that you left your attacker in a position to do harm to others later.

If I might recommend some light reading, I most certainly suggest Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card. You must win the fight by making his fear greater than his hate. You must win this fight as you must win all fights, else death. The act of being threatened is the "if necessary" part of "defend if necessary." Good luck.

Whitsettd8

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Floyd Co
    More power to you man you did the right thing. I have no patience for that crap I think I would had shot him, probably why I don't carry........

EvilBlackGun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   1
    Apr 11, 2011
    Mid-eastern
    We are all different.

I find adrenalin to be a fine adjunct to my training (USAF & Dept.of State) and subsequent decades of live-fire practice. By no means do I have steely nerves, but I ABSOLUTELY know what my body will do in many circumstances. Not all. Plus, there is the quaver of age that is creeping in on the bod, but drills can override that also. The first thing (automatic response) is to have a gun; a gun still in the holster is not a gun. I believe I would have done the same as OP. Draw before exchanging any words. But I have not had to shoot anyone since 'Nam. EBG
    And it's why you should get training with a professional. Your fine motor control goes to hell under the influence of adrenaline <snip out>

Last edited:

EvilBlackGun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   1
    Apr 11, 2011
    Mid-eastern
    Excellent post for so few posts so far!!

Clips load rounds into magazines, magazines load rounds into the breech of the weapon. <snip> A revolver does neither. <a revolver DOES take "clips" as in "full-moon" clips, et al.>. <Quite a large point covered here> ... you left your attacker in a position to do harm to others later. If I might recommend some light reading, I most certainly suggest Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card. You must win the fight by making his fear greater than his hate. You must win this fight as you must win all fights, else death. The act of being threatened is the "if necessary" part of "defend if necessary." Good luck.
    Thanks for the heads-up. I'm getting the book tomorrow. EBG

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    In all seriousness, you did quite well. The only thing for which I fault you is that you left your attacker in a position to do harm to others later.
    I'm not 100% if that statement is serious or not, but how exactly did you expect that he not let that occur? Chase him down? Shoot him while he was running away? None of those options are tactically sound or likely justifiable.

Good job OP.

jbrooks19

Expert
    Rating - 96.9%
    30   1   1
    Nov 15, 2011
    Kokomo
    You "fault" me?!!!?!?!? are you fking kidding me!?!?!?!?? I was supposed to shoot him when i did not see a weapon on him??? you are a genius! I would love to spend life in prison for shooting an unarmed man. Don't ever "Fault" someone for not killing a person when killing was NOT the answer.. Im not going to kill someone for "trying" to rob me. The sight of me pulling a gun on him was enough to stop him from what he was doing, it is not at all my "fault" for him running.. o wait you think shooting him in the back was a good idea when he was running, dont you?? I dont know about you but i dont wanna have to be scared of dropping the soap in the shower for the rest of my life.

Clips load rounds into magazines, magazines load rounds into the breech of the weapon.
    An SKS takes clips since the magazine is by default internalized and attached to the weapon. A Glock takes magazines. A revolver does neither. This has been another exciting episode of 'Clips Versus Mags' the never-ending non-story.

If I might recommend some light reading, I most certainly suggest Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card. You must win the fight by making his fear greater than his hate. You must win this fight as you must win all fights, else death. The act of being threatened is the "if necessary" part of "defend if necessary." Good luck.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Good job OP!

Finger on trigger when on target is correct.

Take aways for all:
    Don't hang on to an argument where you are wrong. Mag/clip thing.
    Where you park can matter, in this case maybe a lot.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Better question: Also, why didn't you physically get in your car, and call the cops then? You said you were about to. Drawing was always taught to me as the last possible route before death, and I would have handed him everything except the gun that is my lifeline, while attempting to gather as many details as possible. He leaves with his swag, I leave with my life. Go back in the gas station call 911 with the description of my car, name, license, car contents, etc. I think we needed the expanded version.

Seriously though, Glad you are ok. Just trying to gain insight.

The guy says to give him my money and he won't hurt me, which is a threat.

Since I'm not going to give him my money, I have to assume he's going to do so and is capable of doing it. Why would I continue to let him have the advantage before drawing and gaining the advantage myself?

I don't understand this way of thinking. Why should I be concerned with his safety at this point? Why shouldn't my only thought be for my safety? I didn't threaten anyone, he's the one who made the threats.

And why should I give him my stuff? He didn't earn it.

Drawing is a last resort. He threatened me, so it's last resort time.

Hypothetically of course, since I'm not the OP.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    You "fault" me?!!!?!?!? are you fking kidding me!?!?!?!?? I was supposed to shoot him when i did not see a weapon on him??? you are a genius! I would love to spend life in prison for shooting an unarmed man. Don't ever "Fault" someone for not killing a person when killing was NOT the answer.. Im not going to kill someone for "trying" to rob me. The sight of me pulling a gun on him was enough to stop him from what he was doing, it is not at all my "fault" for him running.. o wait you think shooting him in the back was a good idea when he was running, dont you?? I dont know about you but i dont wanna have to be scared of dropping the soap in the shower for the rest of my life.

Yep, should have shot him in the leg obviously:dunno:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    It is always enjoyable to read all of these threads. There are so many ways to define an action when confronted. The level headed well trained way. Then we have the "Shoot" the bastardie and the one I really love, do not let him leave to do harm elsewhere. Having been approached in this same manner on more than one occasion it never comes off the same way twice.
    Several good suggestions and a few not so good. Be safe out there, folks are nuts these days. Life means so little to so many. You never know what their intentions or limits are. Drugs, alcohol and desperation are driving forces to many of these situations. Use your head.
    I have to go with Dross on this one. I am going to get any and all advantages available as soon as possible. Just me.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom